How Fast Is Too Fast for NHRA? Goodyear Says Current Tires Won't Keep Series from 340 MPH (1 Viewer)

Stan, am working on an Official Cliff Morgan Time Device. Who knows? If I get if working, you might go to the drags & note the speed trap is different.... heh heh heh Warren Johnson first to 200 in P/S. But you know what I would really like to know, is who was first to 200 in a nitro car. The Greek 1960? Frank Cannon, Lions, 1963? Garlits officially ran the first NHRA 200 in 1964. Long list of folks who ran 200 before Garlits.
BUT BUT BUT - Everyone who ever read the Hot Rod Magazine article by Don Francisco in 1956 (as I remember) knows that 166 MPH is "IT". By "IT" meaning that 1/4 Mile speed has it's limitations and with everything factored in the Slide Rule doesn"t LIE. 166 MPH end of story. :cool:

Being involved in drag racing for 60 years plus I don't understand the infatuation with speed so-called keyboard crew Chiefs say they can see the speed but the only way you can tell is by reading a computer read out or looking at the scoreboard I agree with big daddy reaction time and ETS win races some of the quotes in that article people say they're disinterested in going to the races since they slow the cars down just my opinion

Maybe they ARE just running 166 & we think it's faster cuz of the noise........ hahahahahaha Scotty Fenn said in early 1950's that 150 was the fastest anyone could go. That lasted until 1955 when The Bustle Bomb went 155 (Loyed Scott?)

A FC because of aerodynamics is more likely.
Hight was really pushing for 340 before they stood the headers back up and he came within .13mph of making it. Both he and Force would have exceeded 340 a couple of years later in Dallas had they been able to run the laid back headers. Conditions were perfect; both ran mid 338s.

For now it's a barrier that may never be broken-the same as we'll likely never see a TAD run in the 4s.

Being involved in drag racing for 60 years plus I don't understand the infatuation with speed so-called keyboard crew Chiefs say they can see the speed but the only way you can tell is by reading a computer read out or looking at the scoreboard I agree with big daddy reaction time and ETS win races some of the quotes in that article people say they're disinterested in going to the races since they slow the cars down just my opinion
You're right about "seeing" the speed. I have been to drag races where they run 300+ MPH and and some cars ran 280-290 at the same race and I'll be darn if I can tell the difference.
Now things like a peddlefest are a different story. Even they are fun to watch.

Maybe they ARE just running 166 & we think it's faster cuz of the noise........ hahahahahaha Scotty Fenn said in early 1950's that 150 was the fastest anyone could go. That lasted until 1955 when The Bustle Bomb went 155 (Loyed Scott?)
Scotty also had the K88 & the K99 chassis. The 88 & the 99 was the wheel base of the cars and they were designed that way because 88" & 99" was the Roll Out of the tires available back then. My Inglewood slicks were actually recapped Vogue 8.20 x15's and the two of them probably weighed almost as much as the rest of the car with all the lead wheel weights on them (T-Roadster) 😁. It ran right at 120 MPH and 150 would probably have been an E ticket ride.

You're right about "seeing" the speed. I have been to drag races where they run 300+ MPH and and some cars ran 280-290 at the same race and I'll be darn if I can tell the difference.
Now things like a peddlefest are a different story. Even they are fun to watch.
It's all in what comes up on the scoreboard. 340 looks alot faster than 338. It's the next mountain to climb so people like speed records. Bernstein made alot of money of 300 but 4.99 or even 3.99 never got a strip named after you that I know of.

It's all in what comes up on the scoreboard. 340 looks alot faster than 338. It's the next mountain to climb so people like speed records. Bernstein made alot of money of 300 but 4.99 or even 3.99 never got a strip named after you that I know of.
The right lane at Charlotte (lane 2) was named after Matt Hagan when he made the first 3 second FC run there.

I doubt we’ll see 340 with todays restrictions. Capps and Hight went 339 before the 8500 rpm rev limiter
I think it's possible, but only from one car and that's Brittany Force.

I believe the rule change for laid-back headers and the "rev-limiter" was at the end of the 2017 season. Capps 339.28mph run didn't happen until 2 years after Hight's 339.87mph run.

I don't believe an adjust was made to the "rev-limiter" because the crew chief 🍷 of the NAPA car was running a different clutch than most of the other funny cars.

more than impressed with anything over 330. there is no need to keep breaking barriers.

more than impressed with anything over 330. there is no need to keep breaking barriers.
Of course they don't need to, drag racing will be just fine if no one ever goes 340.

But like the E3 commercial says, there's a big difference between "need" and "want"

The rpm (speed limiter) is only around 7800 rpm where it starts to take timing out before 1/2 track (around 2.75 seconds). The really fast TF's are on the limiter before 1/2 track and the FC's probably just after 660' . In the older days of the limiter, the crew chief would jam a bunch more timing in just before they thought it would hit the limiter so that not much timing actually came out. But if it had a cylinder out or something then all that timing they put in there wouldnt come out and BOOM! ( then MSD changed the firmwear so that after around 2.2-2.4 seconds, you couldnt add anymore timing)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back