Sorry Gordie, No 340.... (1 Viewer)

Since the power's in the nitro, reduce the fuel pump volume to say 60gpm. New spec fuel pumps would be relatively inexpensive. Tested and tagged just like the Heritage pumps. Little else would HAVE to change - of course they would - except for the proper application of the reduced power down track. While we're at it, take a cue from the old IHRA days and limit blower overdrive to 25% - except on the hill. It wouldn't be long before the crew chiefs get them running right.
If we'd quit tripping over our numbers driven mentalities, we just might remember how cool it was seeing 300 mph 1/4 mile runs.

Last edited:
No point in having 2 classes with the same rules. One mag one pump etc....

Might as well make em all run the Heritage series. That's what most people keep suggesting without actually saying it.

shorten the track to 1/8 mile...[ducking for cover now]:eek:

It's bad enough now that the starting of the fuelers, the burnouts, the backing up, crewchief adjustments and staging all take longer than the run....

not to mention the advertisers won't be happy that their signage will only appear on the tv screen for 2 seconds instead of 4

Back in the 60's it was so much cooler. They were of course push started, approached the line when up to temp and were gone.

TopFuel@Lions

At what point in history did they not?

I guess I needed to mention that when they did all the dry hops that was as cool as the race itself....my favorite part is the launch and you got quite a few hard launches back then.
Now you get a burnout, and then, more often than not, tire smoke

I guess I needed to mention that when they did all the dry hops that was as cool as the race itself....my favorite part is the launch and you got quite a few hard launches back then.
Now you get a burnout, and then, more often than not, tire smoke

Yeah and you were probably there until 1 o'clock in the morning...no thanks.

My guess is that Tony’s point is that if you start off with day racing and end well into the evening, very early morning, that’s a long day. Tired people are more prone to making mistakes. That’s not good if you’re working with a race car, a fuel car in particular.

I knew what he was saying. For some reason I'm more energetic late in the day even though I’m usually up and working before daylight. I don't sleep much. I’ve always been a night owl. I would assume back in the day it was more waiting than working with fields that large. Many just can’t handle being up after their bedtime, lol.

I knew what he was saying. For some reason I'm more energetic late in the day even though I’m usually up and working before daylight. I don't sleep much. I’ve always been a night owl. I would assume back in the day it was more waiting than working with fields that large. Many just can’t handle being up after their bedtime, lol.
I am a night owl too (it's 1am as I type this)....I was so glad the ICU at my hospital had single bed rooms....I was in the last room at the end of the hall for 3 weeks, was up at all hours anyway and kept my tv volume low as to not bother anyone.
My favorite memory was being at Maple Grove in 1990....rain pushed the finals to after 10pm....and I still had to drive back to Jersey 3 hours! All my guys won too! Night racing rules!
(note: the stands were still full even after a 5+ hour delay....)

Instruct the announcers that all speeds over 339 are announced as 339.

As a kid I was a track once years ago (late 80's/early 90's I think) where a jet car went over the limit they set for themselves. When the scoreboard showed the speed everyone went nuts, the announcer tried really hard selling it as a board malfunction and that the time on the board was wrong.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back