New Nitro Testing Policy (2 Viewers)

OK. I have 2 questions intended to make you think.

1) How many teams make the "Countdown"?

2) How many TF teams are going to run all 24 races? (I could only come up with 9) Another interesting note, last year, 14th place on down in points were "part time" teams and 7 of the teams that finished ahead of them are not running full time this year.

Do you see where I am going with this. There is a very real chance 1 or more "Part Time" Teams could be contenders..............;)

Last edited:
Jim,

I read your post after I posted mine. I understand your position. And I'm not arguing with you just having a discussion. At the end of the year would it make a difference if you were 21st or 22nd in the points after running 8 races? I would think the bigger deal would be that you qualified in the top half at 5 races and went to the semi’s twice and the finals once.

You still have the result from each event, if you win Atlanta you will have the trophy and you will forever be in the record books as the winner, but it wouldn’t show up in the year end points. I’m thinking back to the days when the Petosa Bros. Or Joe Pisano would come out at five or six races and win a couple of them. They didn’t care about championship points they just wanted the race trophy. Am I looking at this wrong?

Alan

Hey Alan:

I'm not arguing either and I appreciate and think your points are valid. I also think the testing band helps a LBT - only slightly- but I'll take any advantage I can.

You're right, I'd rather tell a sponsor we finished in two finals or won a race VS we didn't qualify and got knocked out of every first round... but we went to 2 dozen races and finished 22nd (no offense to whoever #22 was last season). But if I could have that and a final position in the points... well that's just one more bullet in the gun.

As others have noted in this thread; there's a real chance that a part-time team could make the countdown. We'll be running too many IHRA events (that's more than 1, maybe two if you skip Friday qualifying) for that to be us...

In baseball (or any sport - baseball just because pitchers and catchers report soon) - everyone has a chance to make it to the World Series when Spring Training starts. In drag racing this season - you can just about pick your countdown contestants - + maybe a wildcard - and that guy can do it with 1, maybe 2 good performances and park his car if you eliminate IHRA cross-over guys.

Which story line do you like better?

But that's why we race 'um.

You only have to keep score if you are in it for the long haul of the season. Otherwise you are just looking to win the battle that weekend, not the war.

If points position is how you worded your contracts, I see your problem and some creative thinking must come into play.

The cards have been dealt and, as usual, the house has a slight advantage. The high rollers are in it for the long haul but the ante is the same for all. Jump in for a hand or two, bet wisely, play smart and win a few big pots while the whales are counting their chips.
...See you at the table!!!!

I'm with ya Mike. I hear ya loud and clear. We're (maybe) one of those teams that the 0 point rule could kill our chances at a countdown run. But as long as we know the rules.... and the rules are pretty clear... we';; just have to plan and race accordingly.

To use your card analogy... we were hoping to make it to the River. I didn't want to get bullied out before the flop. It's just a cruel reminder that we're trying to play at a 100/200 table when we have a 2/4 bank roll...

Alan

P.S. The ARMY car didn’t test during the year last year and it worked out for them. QUOTE]

When yer getting far more rds than anyone else, you realy don't need to test.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Now a great point was made about the testing after the Medlin crash. With this rule there will be NONE of that. What about the gizmos that Ford and JFR installed in all the FC's, ?? I'm sure they had to be tested and calibrated. No more.

How about when nhra mandates a new tire??? They have a few teams test them before forcing them on the rest of the class. That's gone too.

nhra's rules should only impact a team / driver from Thur. thru Sun. period.
What they do, where they race, if they test, or how much they test is none of nhra's business.

Hmmm, I guess this means Ron Capps can't do his roundy-round stuff no more. After all those are races..........

I've got no problem with them banning or limiting at nhra tracks, in fact I like it. But what say do they have over other tracks.

I was hoping teams that didn't have full season contracts would make some extra cash doing match races. It appears that is now illegal, what about the world series, norwalk nite of fire, Ihra races,funny car nationals. Aren't there a few teams with short strips on their property.

Of course the other funny thing is that with the countdown it doesn't matter. IF a team decides they need some testing they can take the hit on points. I can see teams that are safe in the countdown making a run on this right before the last race of the "regular season". Lose their points but having testing under their belt heading into Indy.

There is a very real possibility that non full time teams will make the countdown this year, those non full timers are the ones likely to be running other races.

Points are points even if your 22nd for the handful of races you made you are still aiming for the person in front of you. Now if you are going to loose points. Its just another effort to monkey and plan the points.

We already have the possibility of several short fields this year. WHy do something that could hamper that even more. Guys like Terry that were planning to run both, if I were them I would race full ihra then match race type of deals. No sense showing up to nhra if they don't want you.

Again I'm fine with testing ban at nhra tracks, but who made them the God of all tracks

The simple way to correct the issue is to clarify and stipulate the number of test sessions allowed is on top of the number of point producing NHRA events in a season. If there are 24 events in a season, and four test sessions are allowed, then that is a total of 28 (and this needs to be clarified): events or days...

This would allow a team that wants to run a dozen NHRA events to also run a bunch of IHRA events, as long as they do not go over the limit of 24 NHRA events plus (4) days (or events), as the case may be.

This would allow teams to run split schedules, match races, and special shows without negatively impacting the "intent" of the rule.

Last edited:
Doesn't Greg Anderson and the Summit guys have an 1/8 mile test track next door to their race shop? How will NHRA police that? Satilite pictures?

But Alan,
Capps and Other Pro's will race at these events and when they go and play, woudnt that be a test day for the driver/ same as the team.........you get 4

O.K. I can’t take it anymore. There have been a couple of posts that made sense but for the most part you guys are flying off the handle without thinking this through. .............
'
When is the last time you saw a DSR car at a match race? When was the last time you saw a Kalitta car at a match race? How about Bernstein? Do you think that A.J. is trying to book dates to help finance his team? So, who does this effect?

My standard disclaimer; this is strictly my opinion, I am NOT speaking for the NHRA.

Alan

...When is the last time you saw a DSR car at a match race? When was the last time you saw a Kalitta car at a match race? How about Bernstein? Do you think that A.J. is trying to book dates to help finance his team? So, who does this effect? ...

Wilkerson, JFR, Head, Tony and Cruz, Del (when he had his own operation), are some of the teams that I saw in the last year or two match race. I was at two races that had Wilkerson last year.

what about guys who go run nostalgia stuff, its nitro. Does this count against Capps? Doesn't Del have an old Blue Max car?

Hmmm maybe some of the drivers that are sitting out this year can make a killing being testers....even if using their own stuff than swap data. I know nitro isn't a plug and play universe but.....

No it, won't PJ. It won't be counted.

well thats good at least. What about Night of fire races, The World Series, i know 131 here in Michigan has a Funny Car nationals that usually book in 2 pros. Will those count against it?

Seems odd at a time when everyone is hurting to prevent people from making a buck.

I guess you can run your team, put all your time, $$$, and effort into it and the NHRA can tell you when and where you have the right to work.

I agree with an outright testing ban only mandate. But to tell a team they can't load up their car on an off weekend and pursue the dream of winning a trophy (at any level) is pathetic.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back