New Nitro Testing Policy (1 Viewer)

Alan,

How about this then. The NHRA is saying you can't load up your team and pursue a trophy on Sunday in any other organization without points penalities. How unAmerican is that?

Is that better. If I am wrong, Please take the time to explain it to me.

I may sit around one weekend watching movies and choose NOT to chase women and blow my money......just don't put out a press release saying I no longer have the choice.

A knife to the heart of a guy who just wants to RACE. A RACER!!

Last edited:
Kinda like I said much earlier, the points don't really matter in a sense. But I do understand T Mac's and Jim's point. We all (those of us here that race of course) will have to cross that bridge when we get there.
If I can't be at all of them and race for a championship, I just want to win the race I'm at!

See you at the races!!!!!!!

O.K. spill the beans who do you race with? You don't exactly have a recognizable name! :cool:

Now a great point was made about the testing after the Medlin crash. With this rule there will be NONE of that. What about the gizmos that Ford and JFR installed in all the FC's, ?? I'm sure they had to be tested and calibrated. No more.
How about when nhra mandates a new tire??? They have a few teams test them before forcing them on the rest of the class. That's gone too.

I was wondering the same thing too. How are they going to test tires?
I think they should just kept the same rules from last year. It did wonders for a LBT like Wilkerson.
Its like NHRA saying we don't want any part time IHRA team come in here and win our championship or finish in the top ten since full time teams are limited.

I'm the one that turns the knobs...sometimes it's good to fly low under the radar!!!

Ahhh the crew chief! So what out of pocket cost do you incure out of the operation since you claim what is profitable to you and what isn't? ;)

Your performance is definitely under the radar so to speak! :p

Ahhh the crew chief! So what out of pocket cost do you incure out of the operation since you claim what is profitable to you and what isn't? ;):p

My Time: 5 plus years at minimum 2 days a week plus races on top of a full time job plus an additional 20 or so years learning everything that makes one go. Oh yeah, I've never been paid a dime!

Your performance is definitely under the radar so to speak! :p

I'm not quite sure how to take that, but I'll say this...the money we've spent vs. the performance we achieve, I don't feel anyone can match us...and I mean anyone!!!!!!!

:D i have to agree, i guess it makes sense to make one rule for everyone involved. but: what about the track owner that relies on booking acouple big name cars in form of revenue, and how about the guy who wants to take his family to see them but can't afford going to a national. i really don't think this was well thought out, because places like cordova with the world series will suffer and it's an nhra track.

Ya know a side point I guess. I assume when racers agree to match race or head tothe world series, night of fires and such that theres a contract in place. With this ruling does the guy break a contract or loose points? I see lawyers getting their drool buckets on.

:D i have to agree, i guess it makes sense to make one rule for everyone involved. but: what about the track owner that relies on booking acouple big name cars in form of revenue, and how about the guy who wants to take his family to see them but can't afford going to a national. i really don't think this was well thought out, because places like cordova with the world series will suffer and it's an nhra track.

During the ban, the 55 or so Nostalgia Nitro Funny Cars across the USA would be happy help during the crisis to fill in for match racing at any of those tracks where the operators are short of nitro cars to put on a show! Much cheaper than the Big Show racers too!

Ya know a side point I guess. I assume when racers agree to match race or head tothe world series, night of fires and such that theres a contract in place. With this ruling does the guy break a contract or loose points? I see lawyers getting their drool buckets on.

P.J.

A guy does neither, he counts it towards his allotted test days and runs the match race. Can you think of a big name team that runs more than four match race dates a year? I can't

Alan

You guys might want to mark this date on your calendar,

I AGREE with Burk. I have been as quick to take him to task as he has been with with my bosses, but this time Jeff got it right, and I give him credit. Read the new Burk's Blast. If he would just agree with me more often the world would be a happier place.

A guy can dream can't he.........

Thanks Jeff,

Alan

Mr. Bennett, I think yer mistaken. Second paragraph reads:
THIS POLICY APPLIES TO BOTH THE TEAM AND DRIVER.

3RD paragraph says: nhra definition of testing includes any run or attempted run at any track whatsoever.

The way I read it these WOULD count as test runs against Ron's alloted 4.

Paul, per Graham in Bobby's interview nostalgia cars would not count because of the difference in technology.

Last year's teams who are full time this year and the points they had after Indy.
Only 6 teams who were full time last year are again this year. It likely will take 650 points to make the playoff. The reason It will be less than last year is simple, the guys at the top will earn more points because of the weaker middle of the pack (IE less full time teams)

1. Tony Schumacher 1,764
2. Antron Brown 1,197
3. Larry Dixon 1,140
4. Cory McClenathan 1,096
6. Brandon Bernstein 1,029
11. Morgan Lucas 736

14. Troy Buff 365
15. Alan Bradshaw 311

In 2009 Massey, Millican, Hartley and Langdon will likely fill out the top ten
Projected top ten heading into the chase

Larry Dixon, 1ST
Tony SCHUMACHER 2ND
Brandon Bernstein 3RD
Spencer Massey 4TH
Antron Brown, 5TH
Cory McClenathan 6TH
Morgan Lucas 7TH
Clay Millican 8TH
Joe Hartley 9TH
SHAWN LANGDON 10TH

The teams below listed are part timers and teams like Kalitta, Will, Baca, Buff and Bradshaw don't test during the season and don't run IHRA. If there was more money in the kitty for teams like Mcmillen and Litton (they are really the only ones who could have made the chase with a bunch of luck). Say they go to nine races (half) before the chase they would need to average semi final finishes at all events to make the chase. (based on 650 required).
The full time teams above need only to get qualified to likely make the chase since there are only 10 full time teams.

Doug Kalitta,
Hillary Will
David Baca
Troy BUFF
Allan Bradshaw

Mike Strasburg,
Terry McMillen
Bruce Litton

I understand the rule and Jim makes good points, but in reality the chance of a team running half the first half races making the chase is a pipe dream.
If points are important tally them yourself as a team and compare yourself to the rest based on that.

Here is a question I have, can a team not run the way Paul Smith ran a few years back and make it worth there while? IE make two hits in qualifying (hopefully qualify in the middle somewhere so you don't have to race larry tony or brandon in round one every time) and go two rounds or more at half the races. Have a part time crew , pay only the crew chief and maybe one more guy, fly the rest in, there likely is a number of unemployed guys out there waning keep their feet wet. If so you make the chase, and then all bets are off.

Would it not be feasible to race full time

food for thought

Dean

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back