New Nitro Testing Policy (1 Viewer)

If I didn't know any better I would think the world was coming to an end after reading some of these posts. This is real simple in my eyes, this rule will keep the PRO's who are full time and chasing the championship from testing more then the 4 times they are allowed and that is a good thing in this economy. Any team who falls into this category and also did a few match races a year will have to schedule accordingly and make sure they have enough tests to do both and not be penalized. Any team who is not full time, the points don't matter since they are racing for $$, pride, & the trophy which the NHRA has already stated they will not penalize (other then points) those teams for racing in the IHRA, so there is no problem for those teams who crossover. I think this is an effective policy to limit testing and save the teams some $$$. Props to the NHRA on making this call. I have a beer at my neighbors calling my name, so I leave on this note, Armageddon isn't here (yet) and there are much bigger problems then this in drag racing.:D

Guys I think we may be lookin at this wrong. I don't think banning the nhra teams from running IHRA is the big problem.

With the fear of short fields in TF, I was hopeing that we would see more IHRA TF cars show at nhra Natls close to their homes, because of a better chance of Qualifying. But with this rule after running 3 IHRA races they will not only not be given points, they may be fined for being over the 4 tests days. So why show up??

This is NOT the time to discourage folks from running nhra events.

One other point: You don't have to run all 24 events to be champion. I think Dave Connolly proved that. He missed what?? a quarter of the races, and still was in the CD for the championship.

With the fear of short fields in TF, I was hopeing that we would see more IHRA TF cars show at nhra Natls close to their homes, because of a better chance of Qualifying. But with this rule after running 3 IHRA races they will not only not be given points, they may be fined for being over the 4 tests days. So why show up??

This is NOT the time to discourage folks from running nhra events.

The NHRA will not fine the IHRA teams, they just will not earn points which will not matter since they are not competing for the championship. Graham has gone on the record and stated this already. Don't worry, it is not as bad as you are making it out to be.

This is real simple in my eyes, this rule will keep the PRO's who are full time and chasing the championship from testing more then the 4 times they are allowed and that is a good thing in this economy.
How is it that people who have money to spend but are restricted from doing so "a good thing in this economy"?

How is it that people who have money to spend but are restricted from doing so "a good thing in this economy"?

To quote Alan, who has spoken with the big teams, this is what they wanted. This also evens the playing field with the big teams who's sponsors have cut back in this recession. I work for a company who sponsors 2 FC's and I can tell you we are looking at cutting costs in manners I have never seen in my 15 years with them and this is a company who had record profits in the 3rd quarter. Every cost is on the table being reviewed to determine the value the expense brings to the business.

I'm the one that turns the knobs...sometimes it's good to fly low under the radar!!!

You can fly low if you want to - but we know who you are... And I'll back you up on the statement that the Zizzo team is one of the best on a 'no budget'. God help us all if they find money ;)

The example that keeps coming to my mind is Clay Millican a few years ago with the Werner/104+ car. While running the full IHRA schedule and winning championships over there, they usually ran well enough at the NHRA events they entered that, with the Countdown, they could have had a real chance at qualifying into the Countdown also. Seems like they were certainly within the top 15 in NHRA points some years. Obviously, under the new rules an IHRA car that ran the first few NHRA races and did well would have to chose between running the IHRA races also, and losing their NHRA points, or switching over and running the NHRA exclusively. I think that would be a real shame, even those it is only a hypothetical example at this point.

I have only one question. How are the crews to be punished for any infraction? The only one who collects points is the driver, right?

To quote Alan, who has spoken with the big teams, this is what they wanted. This also evens the playing field with the big teams who's sponsors have cut back in this recession. I work for a company who sponsors 2 FC's and I can tell you we are looking at cutting costs in manners I have never seen in my 15 years with them and this is a company who had record profits in the 3rd quarter. Every cost is on the table being reviewed to determine the value the expense brings to the business.

we've heard before though how teams were behind a decision only to hear them complain about it. When NHRA says teams are behind something, it appears they ask around to find one that believes and then counts that as a consensous

People having money and spending it is how this recession will end. To suggest that restricting people from spending money is "a good thing in this economy" seems rather convoluted to me.

we've heard before though how teams were behind a decision only to hear them complain about it. When NHRA says teams are behind something, it appears they ask around to find one that believes and then counts that as a consensous

PJ, are you saying Alan covering up for the NHRA because he is the one who said the teams were for this rule? I am pretty sure he is a little closer to the teams then you are.

People having money and spending it is how this recession will end. To suggest that restricting people from spending money is "a good thing in this economy" seems rather convoluted to me.

Bob, the rule was put in place to help even the playing field and not let the teams with money get further ahead the teams who have less funding. Lets look at the Matco team where (according to DRO) the company pulled away $800k from the budget, they have enough money to race but extensive testing would but a financial strain on the team. Sorry, but I see this rule as a good thing for the teams who have smaller budgets and for those teams experiencing sponsor cut backs. We can have a different discussion on how the recession will end, but this is not the place for that.

PJ, are you saying Alan covering up for the NHRA because he is the one who said the teams were for this rule? I am pretty sure he is a little closer to the teams then you are.

nope not saying that he himself is covering up. Remember how when 100' came into play we were told that ust about all the teams were for it. The on the tv show they showed driver after driver speaking against it, most were pretty clear that they could stand it but only for a very short time. Seems only Jim Head was all in on it.
Same with the countdown.

I don't blame them for saying that, they know from a pr standpoint they will get beat up for God complex move. So why not claim that the teams were in on it, ideally for them it takes some of the heat off and very few teams would put out an equal press release setting the record straight.

My guess, I think teams would have been ok about an nhra ban but not to prevent them from making money elsewhere

well I answered above before I saw your link. Seeing Don and Wilk on there does add credibility to it

I still don't like the non nhra races ban. As someone who likes to go to the match races/specialty races nhra is now taking those away..or at least limiting them. Ban all out test sessions thats fine but preventing someone from making money, especially in today's economy. Plus the match races go to other places and that spreads the sports to places that don't see national events.

Bob, the rule was put in place to help even the playing field and not let the teams with money get further ahead the teams who have less funding. Lets look at the Matco team where (according to DRO) the company pulled away $800k from the budget, they have enough money to race but extensive testing would but a financial strain on the team. Sorry, but I see this rule as a good thing for the teams who have smaller budgets and for those teams experiencing sponsor cut backs. We can have a different discussion on how the recession will end, but this is not the place for that.

szo take away from the rich and give to the poor. The Obama effect has already hit drag racing now:D

sorry I had to throw that one out there for all the politicos lol

Ok one more

My main beef is that it prevents people from making money other places, with sponsor cuts teams need to fill their budget needs. Seems un-american.

Maybe they should spread this out. You know several of our announcers go elsewhere and announce. Now in a sense that is practice for them, we know Alan does need it but Page does. Either way the rule needs to be the same and since Reif and Dunn don't seem to have opportunities outside of nhra then they should all be banned from announcing anywhere else. No more x games, water races, local tracks we can't have one set of announcers get more practice than others.

Seems unfair to me

Peej bruddah... How many match races will anyone in the top 10 attend this year? MAYBE four?

No Problem mon.......

Relax :)- all the Pros will still have more money than you and I. :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back