New Nitro Testing Policy (1 Viewer)

For those of you couch racers with your unlimited potato chip budgets, I hope you'll survive only being able to taste test new chips 4 times this year. But you have until Pomona to eat all you want! I sure hope it doesn't kill the potato chip industry like it has drag racing. :rolleyes:

And if match racing was supplementing my (our) income, don't you think we'd be doing a whole lot more of it. I sure do! :confused:

Hang on there Mister, my potato chip budget has been severely limited by the economy ... and there is a possibility that my couch racing will be cut back from 2 couches to just 1. And the hospitality area that is my coffee table is available to split with other couch racers, and if none are found before Pomona, it has to go too. And I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't even get my couch out of the living room for less than 20K ... so that ruled out match racing my couch long ago.

Times are tough, we are doing what we can from our side, but I really want to see some leadership from the NHRA so I can continue my couch racing ways unabated!!! And I am tired of the NHRA exclusive agreements with leather, I prefer Scotchguarded synthetic materials. I should be able to race my couch however I choose dammit!!! Don't even get me started on my love seat, with these new testing rules I will not be able to get it couch racing licensed til NEXT offseason.

Last edited:
hopefully, someone will book in a N/FC match race within a couple of hour drive... ;)

supposedly there will be a nostalgia FC race at Richmond this year....not sure of the date, but the East Coast guys are putting in on and I believe Boninfante is behind it so keep your eyes peeled Karl

I wonder if there are any teams who included match races and/or IHRA races in their marketing plans to their sponsers to increase exposure? If so this rule could pose problems.

So another scenario. You are deemed a leaker (real or imagined in some previous cases) and you need to go out and get some clean laps in someplace else.

Is this going to be considered "testing" when forced to do so?

And who were these "several professional nitromethane teams" that were consulted?

This really puts people like Jack Wyatt behind the 8 ball who do a lot of match racing to build the kitty.

Martin I hope this isn't realy going the way you said. I don't know so much about cage matches and midget wrasling at the track. Although there was that one time at a match race between stops on the old western swing her name was Pixie...oops...no wrong venue sorry.:D

I wonder if there are any teams who included match races and/or IHRA races in their marketing plans to their sponsers to increase exposure? If so this rule could pose problems.

this poses a huge potential problem for us (Terry McMillen's Amalie Oil Top Fuel Dragster).

We (just today) finished working on a mixed NHRA / IHRA schedule. Somewhere between 7-14 NHRA races - backfilled with IHRA races. We'd like to think we had a shot at being an impact team.

I guess we're one of those 'mid-range' teams that someone mentioned earlier in this thread. If we're going to get fined and look like we're not racing 'legally' - or sponsors aren't going to want to have anything to do with it.

What NHRA should do is make us declare our schedule. Or this rule should only apply to team that run all 24 NHRA races. It's not testing if the NHRA guys are in Topeka and we're racing say IHRA's Dallas Race...

I guess it's back to the drawing board for us...

this poses a huge potential problem for us (Terry McMillen's Amalie Oil Top Fuel Dragster).

We (just today) finished working on a mixed NHRA / IHRA schedule. Somewhere between 7-14 NHRA races - backfilled with IHRA races. We'd like to think we had a shot at being an impact team.

I guess we're one of those 'mid-range' teams that someone mentioned earlier in this thread. If we're going to get fined and look like we're not racing 'legally' - or sponsors aren't going to want to have anything to do with it.

What NHRA should do is make us declare our schedule. Or this rule should only apply to team that run all 24 NHRA races. It's not testing if the NHRA guys are in Topeka and we're racing say IHRA's Dallas Race...

Yeah, it really screws IHRA crossover teams, you guys, and heck, Tim Boychuk made some races last year that otherwise would have put less then 16 cars at the track. Another example, Spencer Massy last year would not have been able to race, or Matt Hagen. Good point. If you run 4 IHRA races, don't bother showing up I guess.

It was me that talked about mid of the range teams , you guys should complain though because teams like you guys are the ones this thing will effect , I am only a fan I just talk out my arse and try to make sense . Where as this directly effects you .

Yeah, it really screws IHRA crossover teams, you guys, and heck, Tim Boychuk made some races last year that otherwise would have put less then 16 cars at the track. Another example, Spencer Massy last year would not have been able to race, or Matt Hagen. Good point. If you run 4 IHRA races, don't bother showing up I guess.

Based on guys that ran last year... off the top of my head it impacts:
  • McMillen
  • Litton
  • Boychuk
  • Strausburg
  • Lagana
  • Zizzo
  • King

I just can't believe this.....wait it is nhra. While this may not be the dumbest move they have made, it sure ranks near the top.

It also does NOT achieve what they say they are trying. That is to limit testing of the well funded teams over the less funded teams. (DUH)

Whats to stop the well funded teams from forming a "NEW TEAM" ;);)
All it takes is a new body, it's no longer a JFR GTX Funny Car, it's
WILLY"S WIDGIT Funny Car. You test all you want, with the Widgit car, then change bodys and go to the race with the GTX car.

There IS ways around this folks, for the teams that can afford it. Of course the less funded teams can't afford to form a seperate team, so whats the point of these new rules??

For the teams who run NHRA & IHRA on a regular basis I think this newest stupid ruling is restraint of trade. It's keeping them from making a living doing what they do. It's restraining them from the opportunity to run all T/F events available. There must be an ambulance chaser (aka lawyer) out there who just love to get in to this deal!

I just know the suits in Glendora drink lunch every day. It's the only thing that could explain what dummies they are......of course the fact that none of them come from a racing background not withstanding.

I will wait and see before I pass judgment. I think this rule is for the top teams who are full time. If the NHRA doesn't award points for a part time team who isn't racing for Countdown spot, there is no impact to that team as they will still receive the purse from the event. I would be shocked if the NHRA was to seek "additional punitive damages" to a team who was not in the championship hunt. I could be wrong, we will see how this one unfolds.

Whats to stop the well funded teams from forming a "NEW TEAM" ;);)
All it takes is a new body, it's no longer a JFR GTX Funny Car, it's
WILLY"S WIDGIT Funny Car. You test all you want, with the Widgit car, then change bodys and go to the race with the GTX car.

There IS ways around this folks, for the teams that can afford it. Of course the less funded teams can't afford to form a seperate team, so whats the point of these new rules??

As I posted wayyy back at the beginning of this thread:

"Let's say Laurie Force got a chassis/parts from JFR and she hired a test driver and hired her own crew and they made passes at a non-NHRA sanctioned track during the season and the crew, car or driver never attend a NHRA event ... is that testing?"

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back