Journey, Toto & Styx (1 Viewer)

Hutch

Nitro Member
I'm going to see Journey, Toto & Styx in separate concerts in England, I've watched them on DVD and listened to their excellent music on CD. But I've never seen them in concert - what are they like performing live?

John.. You will LOVE them! They are old hands at putting on a great show with some fantastic music, and the sets are filled with songs that you do really know (as opposed to some acts that come out with a tour and it is mostly newer material). Toto's set is very sonicly lush, and Journey will have you up on your feet for most of the night. If you are on the floor, stop by the sound board and tell the engineer Kevin that I say hi- that should trip him out pretty good (We work together on the Alan Parsons Project shows).. Have fun at the shows, and put your lighter up one time for me!!! :D

It's strictly my opinion, but Toto, prior to the untimely death of Jeff Porcaro, was one of the best assemblages of musicians to be found in rock music. You will not see the actual groups since Styx has disagreed about who should be in the band as well as Journey's relieving Steve Perry but all in all, every one of these groups still put on a very fun show.
As a drummer, I could have listened to Jeff's performances all day without tiring. I don't say that about many others. Enjoy them all John!

I met Toto in San Antonio at The Crocket Inn in Spring 1985. I was on a High School trip.....they were cool as hell! Oh, Pee-Wee Herman (yuk) happened to be there too....not so cool. ;)

It's strictly my opinion, but Toto, prior to the untimely death of Jeff Porcaro, was one of the best assemblages of musicians to be found in rock music. You will not see the actual groups since Styx has disagreed about who should be in the band as well as Journey's relieving Steve Perry but all in all, every one of these groups still put on a very fun show.
As a drummer, I could have listened to Jeff's performances all day without tiring. I don't say that about many others. Enjoy them all John!
Doc, you just never stop surprising me! You, a drummer? How did I not know that? I made a living that way for a few years myself! You're spot-on accurate about Toto and Jeff, he possessed a rare gift for making a track feel right.

It'd be interesting to see who all is playing in those bands now, I'd be most interested in Toto and Journey out of the three mentioned. I saw Steve Lukather out at the Baked Potato back in about '92 or so when we were out there doing some showcase dates. The band was a bunch of nobodies ;) (Carlos Vega - Drums (R.I.P.), Jimmy Johnson - Bass, Michael Landau - Guitar) and David Paich even sat in for a couple of tunes. It was cool to see them in such an intimate setting, it was an excellent show! I don't know if the BP is still cooking out in LA-LA land but if it is I highly recommend it to anyone, you never know who might show up there to jam.

At any rate I'm sure none of these bands have hired any lightweights, that's for sure! I'll bet John's in for a great treat!

Off topic but I have heard that the Police might be getting back together to do a tour. Have to wait and see :D

:eek: hello fellow drummers!
I'll never forget the day I heard Jeff had passed.
Simon Phillips is my all-time favorite, so when he was invited into TOTO it kinda came full circle for me.
Steve Smith was really important to me also back then.

Didn't the styx drummer Panozzo also pass away?

I hope Stewart Copeland(amazing!) can get along enough with Sting.

Enjoy the shows John, let us know how they were!

I still can`t believe Journey continues to tour without Steve Perry...that`s like the `Stones touring without Jagger. As for Porcaro, was there every any finality as to what caused his passing, the garden pesticide he was using that day or the minute traces of coke found in his system?

Last edited:
It was anaphylactic shock from a reaction to pesticides he was spraying. Reported as such:

Jeff Porcaro suffered a fatal heart attack on August 5, 1992 at the age of 38. He was using a pesticide in his yard and an allergic reaction to the substance triggered the attack. An autopsy revealed a serious heart condition that had been previously undiagnosed. A report issued by the office of the Los Angeles County Coroner a month later also mentioned that a minute trace of cocaine was found in his body. Although traces of cocaine can remain in a body for years, the media latched on to the drug reference and widely reported that cocaine abuse was the cause of death. Unfortunately this rumor persists, in spite of repeated statements by those who knew him well that he had not used the drug for many years.

Some naysayers will say otherwise.

Yeah he did. His brother Chuck (bass) still plays a few songs at most shows with the current line up.

I will confess up front that I ama HUGE STYX fan so am probably biased but they are AMAZING live. I have seen them in pretty much every incarnation and they are still a great live band. I really cannot imagine someone who likes their music ever seeing them live and not feeling the same!

:eek: hello fellow drummers!
I'll never forget the day I heard Jeff had passed.
Simon Phillips is my all-time favorite, so when he was invited into TOTO it kinda came full circle for me.
Steve Smith was really important to me also back then.

I hope Stewart Copeland(amazing!) can get along enough with Sting.

Enjoy the shows John, let us know how they were!

The Police Live in London

Inclusive
Reserved seat Ticket to see
The Real Police Live in Concert
Venue (TBA)
Concert Date (Summer 2007)
1 Night Luxury Hilton /Mercure Hotel(Summer 2007)
Buffet Breakfast
All UK Taxes

Price - $500, what a rip-off!!!:eek:

Don't tell me they replaced Steve Augeri??? We've seen him perform at a few Journey shows and while you will never be able to totally replace Steve Perry Augeri came pretty close to pulling it off. Now they have a new guy who I thought was filling in for Steve.

We saw them open for Def Leppard in Portland last summer and the replacement for the replacement was OK but if either of the Steves don't come back it's over for Journey!

BTW the current drummer of Journey, Dean Castronova lives 5 miniutes from here and I had metal shop in School with him. His brother is a good friend of mine.

Styx rocks and they are incredible live. We had back stage at one of their shows and I couldn't help but mention Shirley Muldowney to James Young. He asked how she was doing.

Styx rocks and they are incredible live. We had back stage at one of their shows and I couldn't help but mention Shirley Muldowney to James Young. He asked how she was doing.

As a huge STYX fan I loved it when she had the Pardise Theater album cover on her car. I saw JY at the Winternationals that year sitting in a convertable corvette with a woman. Turns out he was the grand marshall of the event that year and just getting ready to parade down the track.

Well it's official the replacement for the replacement of Steve Perry is now the new lead singer. The replacement for the replacement of Steve Perry came on the tour early this year when the replacement of Steve Perry had an illness and left the tour. Now the replacement for the replacement of Steve Perry has been named the new lead singer of Journey as of this past December.....I don't like it one bit. I thought the replacement of Steve Perry did a great job and fit into Journey.....I don't think the new guy does. He's OK but nothing like either of the Steves.

Well it's official the replacement for the replacement of Steve Perry is now the new lead singer. The replacement for the replacement of Steve Perry came on the tour early this year when the replacement of Steve Perry had an illness and left the tour. Now the replacement for the replacement of Steve Perry has been named the new lead singer of Journey as of this past December.....I don't like it one bit. I thought the replacement of Steve Perry did a great job and fit into Journey.....I don't think the new guy does. He's OK but nothing like either of the Steves.
As long as they have Neal Schon..I'd prefer they don't try to sing..hehe:D

Neal rocks..and to me..he's more important than the singer..but don't get me wrong..if he doesn't sound like Steve..it's a lost cause.

I saw Journey as a opening band in San Fran/Winterland..the headliner was...

Iron Butterfly.....now I feel old (er). Neal was 19 then..fresh from Santana.

As long as they have Neal Schon..I'd prefer they don't try to sing..hehe:D

Neal rocks..and to me..he's more important than the singer..but don't get me wrong..if he doesn't sound like Steve..it's a lost cause.

I saw Journey as a opening band in San Fran/Winterland..the headliner was...

Iron Butterfly.....now I feel old (er). Neal was 19 then..fresh from Santana.

Wow, that does go back a ways. Was that with Ainsley Dunbar on drums?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back