New Journey Rocks (1 Viewer)

well, well, well, here I've been defending Journey all this time and it turns out that a new guy on my crew is a first cousin to Deen Castronova the drummer. Actually I have known Deen's brother real well for years but I thought it was kind of funny to have learned that the other night. So let the bias continue!

Steve Smith was the drummer during their most successful period during the 80's.

Deen Castronova is my favorite journey drummer, actually one of my favorite drummers to begin with. Did you ever hear him sing as well? He's very good in that area too.

Hey Rich, If you want to go waaaay back, Deen was the drummer for local band Wild Dogs. You might have heard them on the old KGON homegrown album with the song "Born to Rock". I know that in the late 80's he played drums on Tony MacAlpine's "Maximum Security " album, which probably got him gigs with the other "shredders" on Mike Varney's Shrapnel label.

Mike, to go even back farther, Deen and I were in metal shop together in 8th grade. He was quite a handful back them. Deen started his music career with the Enemie. And it was funny because they were playing after the football game at McNary (where I went to school) then some smart guy pulled the fire alarm and that was it for the concert. They were like in the first two minutes of the concert.

We use to see him and his mom at the music store buying drums. He had a kit the size of Neil Pert's and he hadn't even finished high school. Deen got his break playing for Ozzy and then Bad English.

From Bob Wilbur's blog about the concert:

...."We had fun, though, and when Journey came on the place rocked. Did you know Journey is now touring with a new singer, from the Philippines, whom they discovered via some You Tube clips in which he perfectly emulated their former singer, Steve Perry. It's uncanny, and he is a fine vocalist, but I have to agree with the review in the St. Paul Pioneer-Press today, which said, of Arnel Pineda: "...bouncing around the stage in attire and hairstyle that echo Perry's Carter-administration look, sometimes creepily so. While one can't begrudge the other members of Journey wanting to reconnect with their fan base, there were times Tuesday when Pineda seemed just a little too much of a Perry knock-off, leaving one wondering if it might be more fulfilling to find a singer with a style not quite so nakedly derivative."

yeah, what he said!! ;)

...."We had fun, though, and when Journey came on the place rocked. Did you know Journey is now touring with a new singer, from the Philippines, whom they discovered via some You Tube clips in which he perfectly emulated their former singer, Steve Perry. It's uncanny, and he is a fine vocalist, but I have to agree with the review in the St. Paul Pioneer-Press today, which said, of Arnel Pineda: "...bouncing around the stage in attire and hairstyle that echo Perry's Carter-administration look, sometimes creepily so. While one can't begrudge the other members of Journey wanting to reconnect with their fan base, there were times Tuesday when Pineda seemed just a little too much of a Perry knock-off, leaving one wondering if it might be more fulfilling to find a singer with a style not quite so nakedly derivative."

yeah, what he said!! ;)

Some people like knock-offs some people like the real McCoy! I'm the latter of that!
Like I said if Steve was dead that's one thing but he is alive and kicking!

yeah, what he said!! ;)
Thanks Cheryl; I'd forgotton about this thread!

Haha! When I read that, I was just ROTFLMAO!!!
:D;):D

Rich, please don't take this stuff seriously! You love them and that's all that matters! Hey; Wilbur, Bob Cole, myself, & countless others catch tons of grief for our love of Rush!!!

Please let us know what you thought of the show. Also, how were Heart & Cheap Trick.

Just one thing, Steve Perry had surgery to remove some sort of throat pollops (sp?) a few years ago, I don't think his vocal chords would survive a full concert set.

Hey Sam,
I couldn't find anything on the 'net about Perry having throat surgery. Many singers have nodes removed from their vocal cords. You can recover from it. I just read that Perry played some demos he had just made for the members of Journey and his voice was as good as ever. I just don't think he is interested in being in the band.

Hey Sam,
I couldn't find anything on the 'net about Perry having throat surgery. Many singers have nodes removed from their vocal cords. You can recover from it. I just read that Perry played some demos he had just made for the members of Journey and his voice was as good as ever. I just don't think he is interested in being in the band.

He had hip replacement surgery which has nothing to do with his voice! :cool:

Wow, Steven had a hip job? I never knew. These aging 80's rock super heros crack me up. Paul Stanley (of KISS) has had a whole plethera of crap done - a hip, BOTH knees, rotater cup... and he's still banging away right here today, as you're reading this. It's interesting to think about.... how many groups or people who were so huge then - those that aren't dead or in jail, or host thier own radio shows, or clinging onto those 2 or 3 songs and playing clubs each night.... what they're doing now. Seems like only very few actually innocently, and with some degree of dignity - really fade away into privacy and you never hear about them.

Hey Sam,

That's what I heard why he couldn't be in the band at the time.

Enjoy this fraud while you can. This guy will be done after the tour, if not sooner. Good thing those scumbags Schon and Cain conned this dude into re-recording all those old songs, so they can screw Perry when they want to commercialize the music.

This from Rolling Stone Magazine:
"Two minutes before Journey kicked off their world tour in February, with new singer Arnel Pineda, the whole thing nearly fell apart. "I told them I wanted to back out," says the 41-year-old Filipino vocalist, whom the band discovered on YouTube. "[Journey guitarist] Neal Schon told me, 'It's too late now.' He pushed me a little and said, 'Go. Go sing for us.'" Pineda overcame his butterflies and took the stage in front of 20,000 fans in Chile, singing an hour of hits in a soaring voice incredibly similar to former Journey frontman Steve Perry. Since then, Pineda has played more than 63 concerts with Journey, including a current three-month trip through American amphitheaters, which has been averaging 13,000 people a night. The tour is the sixth-highest-grossing of the summer, and the band's performances are as high-energy as they were during Journey's heyday.
Unfortunately, Pineda isn't finding the tour nearly as fulfilling as his bandmates are. He misses his girlfriend and son, and the grueling pace is grinding him down. "It's very, very sad," he says. "There are days I just break down and cry. This is a job I'm doing for my family. That's all the consolation I'm getting." Traveling around America isn't what he expected. "It's all buses, stage, microphone," he says. "I never really get to go around and walk. They wake me up for soundcheck, then I wait until the show at nine. It's a fantastic job, but at the same time it's a curse. . . . I told Neal that the only thing that will make me quit this is if I get sick. I guess that's the same reason Steve Perry bailed out."
Within weeks, Pineda took his first trip to the U.S. and auditioned for the band in San Francisco. A few days later, he was hired. "Mr. Neal Schon picked me up and told me, 'You got the job,' " Pineda says. "For a guy like me, it's surreal — like some sort of miracle." Quickly, the band cut two discs worth of material: one of new songs and another of rerecorded hits. "It was spooky, sitting behind the desk watching Arnel record these songs," says keyboardist Jonathan Cain. "It was like going back in a time machine." Since coming out in June, the album has sold 441,000 copies; it's the band's biggest hit since Perry left the group."

ArticleLink: Rolling Stone News Article - Sad Journey For New Singer

I saw Skynyrd and ZZTOP on a double bill about 8 years ago.

Skynyrd seemed like a cover band.

ZZTOP was freaking ZZTOP.

If you can find a singer who sounds close, then I guess it's ok if you are a big fan. I 'm thinking about catching a Boston show this summer even though Brad Delp is gone. The fact is, Brad hadn't sounded like 1976 Brad since, well, about 1979....

But I 've heard some of the new singers , and they sound good. I 'll go because I like the songs, the other musicians are great, and Tom Scholz has a guitar sound you have to hear for yourself.

Saw Sammy Hagar and ZZ Top a long time ago. Sammy ran, jumped, etc, etc. Not bad but, standing pretty much in one place from start to finish, the little band from Texas kicked his ass!!! :D

Wow, Steven had a hip job? I never knew. These aging 80's rock super heros crack me up. Paul Stanley (of KISS) has had a whole plethera of crap done - a hip, BOTH knees, rotater cup... and he's still banging away right here today, as you're reading this. It's interesting to think about.... how many groups or people who were so huge then - those that aren't dead or in jail, or host thier own radio shows, or clinging onto those 2 or 3 songs and playing clubs each night.... what they're doing now. Seems like only very few actually innocently, and with some degree of dignity - really fade away into privacy and you never hear about them.

I remember living in Michigan in the early 90s. Ted Nugent had a reputation for just showing up in little bars with a guitar for the fun of it.

If you don't like imitation singers or bands, stay away from Stone Mountain Park/Atlanta next weekend! Speaking of ZZ Top. Ahem.

The 2006 Great Miller Lite Chili Cook-Off

For ten bucks, I've had no problem with several tribute bands and the opportunity to try to sample over 300 chilis! :D

You used to get one actual old band. Now you get four tribute bands.

Edit: Oh no! I may give up the chili for the first time in over ten years! They're gonna need extra portable toilets! :eek:

MySpace.com - ZZ TOP TRIBUTE LA GRANGE - Los Angeles, California - Classic Rock / Southern Rock / Blues - www.myspace.com/lagrangetribute

If they're anything like that youtube video on the page, I'd pay extra if they wouldn't be there!

YouTube - ZZ Top Cheap Sunglasses 2005 LIVE!

Not much comparison.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back