Jeff Wolf's take on 4 Wide.... (1 Viewer)

It's pretty simple to me. I don't want to watch it. If it becomes a regular thing, I simply won't watch those races. If it became the norm, I would cease to be a fan. I can live with 1000 feet, I can live with boring top end interviews, I can grudgingly live with the crock of sXXt countdown, but I can't watch this.

On the button, Tim. My sentiments exactly.

-Pro Sadly the history shows that despite how much they may not like something they have a hard time trusting each other enough to actually make a real stand. Garlits and the Indy strike seems to be the last known stand and that was over 30 years ago.

Thats why I say if they (NHRA) hold it (4-wide) they (PRO) WILL come.

-Pops if believe the message boards and various polls we've seen over the years at how much the fans hate the countdown. Same polls, message board and even more writers have come out against this but yet because you love it you don't want to see or believe. Love it that's fine but don't deny that you are in the minority on this one ?

Sat. was a sell out. (Sun. was rain out) I'm just saying if they do it next year it WILL sell out again. And if Vegas goes 4-wide for #2 That will sell out also.
You say I'm in the minority, maybe but I think it's more of a 50/50 split.
Also most complaining have NOT seen it live. The ones up-set were watching it on TV.

Sat. was a sell out. (Sun. was rain out) I'm just saying if they do it next year it WILL sell out again. And if Vegas goes 4-wide for #2 That will sell out also.
You say I'm in the minority, maybe but I think it's more of a 50/50 split.
Also most complaining have NOT seen it live. The ones up-set were watching it on TV.

and on any given race day there are more watching on tv then in person

It's pretty simple to me. I don't want to watch it. If it becomes a regular thing, I simply won't watch those races. If it became the norm, I would cease to be a fan. I can live with 1000 feet, I can live with boring top end interviews, I can grudgingly live with the crock of sXXt countdown, but I can't watch this.

I think I'll get in line behind you and the others that agree with you.

Virgil is no doubt a good man and I appreciate his contributions here as well as his racing efforts. But, comparing watching 4 fuel cars to watching 43 cup cars makes no sense whatsoever. You've got 4 hours to watch your 43 cup cars. You've got 4 seconds to watch 4 drag cars. In a regular drag race, with 2 cars, if one cars smokes the tires, or does a big wheelstand, or blows the body off, can you honestly say that you have any idea what the OTHER car did? I don't think you can. So now you want to convince me that you can take in what FOUR cars all do.......in a time span of 4 seconds? Sorry. Ain't buying it. So let's say for sake of argument that you can pay attention to 2 cars. That means that you are getting completely screwed out of seeing the other 2 cars run. You're paying the same money for half of the show. I think the polls that have been taken and the majority of the forum postings are in agreement. It's real simple. Drag racing is supposed to be a contest between 2 cars. Don't try to reinvent it.
I also think Bruton Smith is a good man, and obviously a good promoter. But I doubt he actually knows very much about drag racing or round track racing for that matter. He only knows how to sell tickets. I don't think he would have even a little problem running 20 cup cars clockwise and the other 20 counterclockwise if he could get away with it, just to sell tickets. I don't think he gives a rat's ass about the history and heritage of either sport.

NHRA has quite a few things on their plate right now.
They have the controversy over the 4 wide racing.
They have the problem with the cars going to quick & fast, and destroying themself even at 1000ft.
Next they have the situation of only running to 1000ft for fuel cars and 1320 for all the others.
They are also working on a "spec" engine or something else that will slow down the cars which will hopefullly lower the cost of running the fuel classes and at the same time allow them to return to 1320 and by cutting down the costs attract more cars.

Looks like NHRA has a lot of to accomplish. Maybe if NHRA and PRO found some way to work together they could resolve most, if not all of these problems in a reasonable time frame. Their are some very smart people that are car owners and NHRA has resources available to them also.

I know this is quite a bit to expect but if it's best for the making racing safer and less costly it certainly is worth it as it would also increase the car count and give the spectators more cars to see and all running 1320. Try to explain to someone who hasn't been to the races before why some cars go 1000ft and others 1320.
Drag racing at the beginning was both a 1/4 mile and a 1/2 mile. For those of you that don't go back that far the track that ran both was Riverside Raceway in California. The 1/4 and 1/2 mile races were both interesting but as the cars went faster it was decided to standardize on the 1/4 mile. Also, the first organized drag races in the country were put on by Pappy Hart at Santa Ana were also 1/4.
I don't like the 4 wide but if any of you can remember back to when Mickey Thompson ran Lions he ran 4 wide stock cars.
Here's hoping that these major problems can be worked out to everyone's benefit. They will never be worked out to everyone's satisfaction but they can be worked out to the benefit of drag racing and the racers. Hopefully the items that are safety related will be handled soon before anyone gets seriously hurt.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back