4 Wide at LVMS (1 Viewer)

Jim, I respect your opinion and your very much correct about the racers not liking the 4-Wide... As a racer, I would think it sucks. But as a fan, who is interested in seeing more teams, more cars, more sponsors, more money to the sport....I don't see where 4-WIDE is going to KILL THE SPORT like so many on this board (and others) are animate will happen.

I don't think the 4-Wide is the end all to be all.. I just think it's a start. It's thinking outside the box. It's different... Unique... and creates a buzz. Look at the threads here on the 'mater' about the 4-wide. Look how many people are opening up the thread to talk about it. Like it or not, BUZZ creates intrigue. Intrigue creates interest from the media...media creates information for the common folk who might become intrigued by the "CIRCUS"...

What exactly is wrong with this? If you guys want to see your favorite teams out there competing, you'd better get used to this simple concept... MONEY TALKS. In todays economy we've got to come up with creative ways of putting A$$ in the seat.

How bout this. Make Vegas and Charlotte our two 4-WIDE tracks. Make the first race of the season at both tracks a 4-WIDE race. During the "PLAYOFFS" it's mono y mono.

Bring in some Nitro Nostalgia Cars, some wheel standing 10.5 pro street racers and some exhibition cars to entertain the fans at both races. Have them compete on the other two lanes during "The Playoffs" so not to delay the running of or impact the track conditions of the final races of the season.

Tell me, if this format were to happen, how many of you who say, 'i'll never go' would be intrigued by this and attend? Would this increase the value of your ticket? Or is it all about "THE BIG SHOW"? If so, I suggest you head to an ADRL race, PINKS ALL OUT, or NHRA HERITAGE SERIES Event to wet your whistle.

Why do you think NHRA is spending time and money on NHRA UNLEASHED? NHRA Unleashed It's to create a better show.

Tim, What do you tell your potential sponsor prospects when they ask you why their on track exposure is cut due to fewer runs, And that they musty share that limited exposure with three other cars, not just one? And that the likelihood of their car advancing is cut in half as well? Don't confuse fan or racer protest with "Buzz". The old Winston invitational FC vs TF was supposed to create a buzz as well. Where is that format today?

Last edited:
Well since I have a Mac, guess you can't do that.

Hit the command (apple), shift and 3 keys at the same time. That takes a picture of your desktop. This is a .png file and should be called "picture 1.png". Click on it or open it in Preview, then save it as a .jpg.

Makes its own broth.

Tim, What do you tell your potential sponsor prospects when they ask you why their on track exposure is cut due to fewer runs, And that they musty share that limited exposure with three other cars, not just one? And that the likelihood of their car advancing is cut in half as well? Don't confuse fan or racer protest with "Buzz". The old Winston invitational FC vs TF was supposed to create a buzz as well. Where is that format today?

You are not going to sell a marketing partnership based on "on track exposure". FRAM received much more air time from the pits at this race than on track. You also tell them about other options such as in car cameras, special functions, blow ups, commercials and interviews. In the pits and off track is where the value of a marketing partnership lies.

And the statement about your car's chances of advancing are cut in half is about as accurate as saying a car can advance two rounds in one lap.

Maybe if we would open our eyes even a little and try to comprehend what is really taking place rather than making a bunch of bogus statements this 4 wide wouldn't seem so bad.

Tim, What do you tell your potential sponsor prospects when they ask you why their on track exposure is cut due to fewer runs, ................And that the likelihood of their car advancing is cut in half as well?
FACT.......besides the Winner and Runner Up in each class, NO ONE had any of their runs cut down in number, and another FACT, everyone had the exact number of chances at advancing their cars into the next round as a normal National Event, 50/50. :confused:

.....if anything the extra time enables the Winner and Runner Up more TV time to plug their sponsors. I'm pretty sure that most any sponsor would be thrilled to have their car as a Winner or Runner Up over one more lap down the track! You can pretty much bet your bottom dollar that Ford, Castol and Fram were not dissapointed that their car didn't get to make an extra pass yesterday!

Hit the command (apple), shift and 3 keys at the same time. That takes a picture of your desktop. This is a .png file and should be called "picture 1.png". Click on it or open it in Preview, then save it as a .jpg.

Makes its own broth.
What he said, Joe. ^^

Took the typing right off my fingers, Cole. :D

Drag Racing is a wonderful sport. I am just as big of fan of the sport, its history, the cars and the people as I am a fan of actually driving race cars! Now, I understand that a lot of input and opinions on this board come from people who are not racers or involved with the sport in any other way than being an opinionated fan...but as a racer, 4-wide is a true racers fantasy. I mean think about it. 32,000hp at one time!!!! The trademark thunder of not just two but FOUR nitro burning race cars. I get chills thinking about how intense and awesome of an experience that must be.
I know that the experience of the 4-wide was a little rough to view on the tube, but just like the drivers, how much practice has ESPN had at an event like this? Heck, how many people watch ESPN with the hopes of getting a full experience of what an NHRA drag racing event is like? You'll never be able to duplicate what the experience of NHRA drag racing is like. Even a 20 second pinto is more spectacular in first person at the track then on the tube. I think ESPN does a good job to capture the sound and angles and the views of the actual racing than any other broadcast ever has. I'm not talking about Paul Page and the interviewing, I'm talking the camera angles and sound quality that we crank our surround sound up to week in and week out to help spark the memories of what it actually is like to be there! So the TV was a little hard to follow, but no one can deny that seeing Diehl and Hagen blow their lids Saturday together wasn't one of the craziest events they've witnessed. I can just imagine being there and hearing not just one, but then a second supercharger backfire... it’s awesome from a fan experience.
I'm not saying that I would like to see the entire sport switch over to an all 4-wide season, which is extremely far away if possible, but to have an event or two a year that I can experience a different level of drag racing would be awesome! It would be like going from the "Show" to an ADRL or PSCA event. It’s still drag racing, it’s still fastest car wins, but it’s now a little bit different rules, a little bit different format but as a fan of Drag Racing it still tickles my fancy and gets my heart rate up!
Until you've experienced this 32,000hp spectacular in real life, how can you be of any judgment? I'm not a big fan of onions, but at least I’ve experienced 'em to make that judgment!

Drag Racing is a wonderful sport...

Until you've experienced this 32,000hp spectacular in real life, how can you be of any judgment? I'm not a big fan of onions, but at least I’ve experienced 'em to make that judgment!

Kenny, well said, however I don't care to experience 4-wide nitro drag racing in anything but an EXHIBITION, otherwise I am just not interested. Use 4-wide nitro drag racing for an All Star Race put on and paid for by Bruton Smith, but in my opinion 4-wide nitro drag racing has no business being part of the points earning schedule.

P.S. I do cook with onions a lot, particularly red ones.

Kenny, well said, however I don't care to experience 4-wide nitro drag racing in anything but an EXHIBITION, otherwise I am just not interested. Use 4-wide nitro drag racing for an All Star Race put on and paid for by Bruton Smith, but in my opinion 4-wide nitro drag racing has no business being part of the points earning schedule.

What he said!^

I agree..well except for the onions. Saw it in person and it was great to feel and hear it just isn't much to watch.

I'm with Kenny on this one (obviously slanted) but, What would hurt about having the first two races at Charlotte and Vegas being non-point races with 4-wide? Then return to the traditional format for the last two races? I mean, the new traditional format of 1000'. Bring in some NFC, NTF some NHRA Unleashed cars perhaps..and 4-jet cars to close out the night's racing on Friday and Saturday?

Create a 'SHOW' to start the season, then make it all about the....(I can't believe I'm going to say this).... Countdown to the Championship to end the season.

I can totally agree with you guys on exhibition. I don't feel that NHRA is going to better itself by changing the drag racing format to 4-wide, but I do think it could be a nice additive to the show!! Have some fun with it! Dragster vs Funny Car, altereds, Jets....PRO MODS! Could be cool!

Oh I'm hedging my bets for sure Darr.. ADAM SOROKIN, JAMES DAY, KENNY BUZDAS, JESSE ADAMS and now WILL MARTIN... on one side. Got Don Wootton on another side, and KATIE SULLIVAN, DANNY GRUNINGER, KRISTEN WOOTTON on one side. Heck, even international with the Kon Rodz team in Canada and Ulf Leanders in Sweden...But, all these boys and girls want to race the big show some day.

And the products we make at http://www.cleanboostoil.com are targeted to ANY Racing application.

Wise man say always hedge your bet. :cool:

Wow, this is becoming the, what carlets is thinking, or hawking at the moment, board. GEEEEEZZZZ.

If you want to see LVMS before it goes 4-wide, check out my ad in the classifieds. I can't use my tickets to the race in a couple weeks, have to make a test and tune the same weekend.

Tim I was being sarcastic, tongue in cheek. Not dissin ya at all. From what I,ve seen, you do a fine job by your clients. Keep up the good work.What I was getting at , is this board would be lifeless, if it were,nt for a few.

If you see it in person, you can see that the 2 new lanes go to the right. There's extra space on that side in the earthwork, there's extra space between the track and the sign at the top end, the tunnel exits way farther to the right that it needs to, and the staging lanes wrap around to line up with the right side of the existing lanes... just like it would have to if you had four lanes. Heck, they even put in temporary grandstands on that side. Clearly the whole place was laid our for four lanes, with two more to the right of the existing ones...

I was in Vegas back when the announcement was made to build "The Strip." I remember in the newspaper article, that Bruton had talked about 4 lanes at that time, along with an artist rendering if it, but the NHRA had said no.

If you see it in person, you can see that the 2 new lanes go to the right. There's extra space on that side in the earthwork, there's extra space between the track and the sign at the top end, the tunnel exits way farther to the right that it needs to, and the staging lanes wrap around to line up with the right side of the existing lanes... just like it would have to if you had four lanes. Heck, they even put in temporary grandstands on that side. Clearly the whole place was laid our for four lanes, with two more to the right of the existing ones...

It would have to be on both sides of the current layout! Having those Tunnels that close to the Track wall might be a problem though!

Paul, how do you copy and paste something off of Google Earth?

Joe, you need the return road that is already on the left side. They can very easily extend the length of the tunnel to be long enough for the addition of two more lanes on the right side.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back