4 Wide at LVMS (1 Viewer)

Well if Burton does go four wide at Vegas there is no need to build another grand stand, looked like the right side was next to empty at Charlotte. I'am with you Joe on the right side in Vegas you are almost in the roll cage of the cars. Please leave Vegas alone.

Well if Burton does go four wide at Vegas there is no need to build another grand stand, looked like the right side was next to empty at Charlotte. I'am with you Joe on the right side in Vegas you are almost in the roll cage of the cars. Please leave Vegas alone.

I agree with John and Joe. I like Vegas for that very closeness when you're up near the starting line. I am opposed to the 4-wide deal. Haven't seen it live in person and I don't want to, unless maybe there was a 64 car field in the pro categories (yeah, right!). I have no interest in watching a qualifying session or elimination round that lasts about 15 minutes or less per category. What did it take the bikes to run their 1st round of eliminations at Zmax, 5 minutes?

16rzhz.jpg

I wonder if they will add 2 lanes to the right of the current 2.
Then, a new grandstand to the right of that?

Hey Joe, Bruton said he would also double the beer gardens.
rofl.gif

It would have to be on both sides of the current layout! Having those Tunnels that close to the Track wall might be a problem though!

Paul, how do you copy and paste something off of Google Earth?

Last edited:
Even Paul Page was totally confused. I would imagine if you were there it would be impressive sounding....but for the 98% that watch on tv it was just stupid. I hope no more race tracks waste their money on such a bad idea.

Paul Page is generally confused and terrible at his job. I automatically dismiss everything he says out of hand. Page is not an arbiter (and should not be even if he was good at his job) of whether or not 4 wide is viable.

It would have to be on both sides of the current layout! Having those Tunnels that close to the Track wall might be a problem though!

Paul, how do you copy and paste something off of Google Earth?

You mean the current return road would be made a lane? That would be cool, but I doubt it will happen.
Chris has a point about the right scoreboard already being set back enough for 2 lanes between it and the current racing surface.
However, I disagree about the tunnel being far enough to the right.

I can't copy and paste a GE, but I can do a screen capture and put it thru paint.

Even Paul Page was totally confused. I would imagine if you were there it would be impressive sounding....but for the 98% that watch on tv it was just stupid. I hope no more race tracks waste their money on such a bad idea.

Did anyone else catch him (Page) when they came back from a commercial calling it the "IHRA 4 Wide Nationals"?!

And Gary Gerould refered to it as a "circus" in a couple of his top end interviews.

You mean the current return road would be made a lane? That would be cool, but I doubt it will happen.
Chris has a point about the right scoreboard already being set back enough for 2 lanes between it and the current racing surface.
However, I disagree about the tunnel being far enough to the right.

I can't copy and paste a GE, but I can do a screen capture and put it thru paint.

Paul, the strip was originally designed to be 4 lanes. If you look, you will notice that the right hand scoreboard is way back from the track. The two lanes will go to the right of the current ones. The tunnel will be extended as nessary.

I really don't know why everybody is so upset, if Bruton wants this done. It's his track and he will get it done, I try to worry about things I have control of. I'm just sayin'.

Dan

Last edited:
FIRST OFF... DON'T BELIEVE THE PULSE OF MESSAGE BOARDS ARE THE PULSE OF DRAG RACING FANS... FAR FROM IT. Message board participants equate to maybe 3% of ACTIVE Drag Racing fans.

If you want an example to what somebody else from another country thinks about wanting to race over here, look at Ulf Leanders from Sweden. They ran the Gators in TAFC and were not pleased with their efforts. They could have packed up their gear and played in the smaller pond but they are staying over here until they run like they expect to. IT IS THEIR HOLLOWED GROUNDS.

It still exists in some William. But the BIG SHOW has become a real pain in the butt to many.

Personally, I enjoy any kind of racing. I DO pay to go to wed test and tune. I DO pay to go to LODRS events.

The Big Show is not RUINED.. it simply needs a jump start to revive itself.
Tim, I understand your situation but putting your income stream aside ... 4 wide can't be the answer to jump starting the sport (my opinion of course). I bet there are more than a few members of PRO who feel cheated by the 4-Wide format. Doug Herbert was never better than second to the stripe and in the "final" he was third and get Semi $$ and points. Think the championship contenders aren't PO'd by that since in a normal format Doug was a Rd. 1 R/U. Basically stolen points. There are other examples all over eliminations. Yonke and Line in Pro Stock could have stolen victories after what would have been Rd. 1 losses and never got to the stripe first in any of their respective quads. How about Larry Dixon running .03 quicker than the rest of his foursome but had to overcome 3 holeshots within his foursome.

Sorry, although its the same for all ... is that real racing? I bet that they might not admit it publicly, but many racers are likely not in favor of more 4-wide racing, certainly not a second time this year.

IMHO, these message boards reflect the true fan's thoughts. These people have a love for the sport or they would be doing something else on another forum. How many of us have sat next to someone at a drag race that didn't know Pro Stock from Super Stock? Happened to me again this weekend. But I doubt any of them have ever heard of Nitromater or any other drag racing forum. So I will continue to value most of the that opinions that are stated here, considering where they are coming from.

Tim, I understand your situation but putting your income stream aside ... 4 wide can't be the answer to jump starting the sport (my opinion of course). I bet there are more than a few members of PRO who feel cheated by the 4-Wide format. Doug Herbert was never better than second to the stripe and in the "final" he was third and get Semi $$ and points. Think the championship contenders aren't PO'd by that since in a normal format Doug was a Rd. 1 R/U. Basically stolen points. There are other examples all over eliminations. Yonke and Line in Pro Stock could have stolen victories after what would have been Rd. 1 losses and never got to the stripe first in any of their respective quads. How about Larry Dixon running .03 quicker than the rest of his foursome but had to overcome 3 holeshots within his foursome.

Sorry, although its the same for all ... is that real racing? I bet that they might not admit it publicly, but many racers are likely not in favor of more 4-wide racing, certainly not a second time this year.

Jim, I respect your opinion and your very much correct about the racers not liking the 4-Wide... As a racer, I would think it sucks. But as a fan, who is interested in seeing more teams, more cars, more sponsors, more money to the sport....I don't see where 4-WIDE is going to KILL THE SPORT like so many on this board (and others) are animate will happen.

I don't think the 4-Wide is the end all to be all.. I just think it's a start. It's thinking outside the box. It's different... Unique... and creates a buzz. Look at the threads here on the 'mater' about the 4-wide. Look how many people are opening up the thread to talk about it. Like it or not, BUZZ creates intrigue. Intrigue creates interest from the media...media creates information for the common folk who might become intrigued by the "CIRCUS"...

What exactly is wrong with this? If you guys want to see your favorite teams out there competing, you'd better get used to this simple concept... MONEY TALKS. In todays economy we've got to come up with creative ways of putting A$$ in the seat.

How bout this. Make Vegas and Charlotte our two 4-WIDE tracks. Make the first race of the season at both tracks a 4-WIDE race. During the "PLAYOFFS" it's mono y mono.

Bring in some Nitro Nostalgia Cars, some wheel standing 10.5 pro street racers and some exhibition cars to entertain the fans at both races. Have them compete on the other two lanes during "The Playoffs" so not to delay the running of or impact the track conditions of the final races of the season.

Tell me, if this format were to happen, how many of you who say, 'i'll never go' would be intrigued by this and attend? Would this increase the value of your ticket? Or is it all about "THE BIG SHOW"? If so, I suggest you head to an ADRL race, PINKS ALL OUT, or NHRA HERITAGE SERIES Event to wet your whistle.

Why do you think NHRA is spending time and money on NHRA UNLEASHED? NHRA Unleashed It's to create a better show.

Paul, the strip was originally designed to be 4 lanes. If you look, you will notice that the right hand scoreboard is way back from the track. The two lanes will go to the right of the current ones. The tunnel will be extended as nessary.

I really don't know why everybody is so upset, if Bruton wants this done. It's his track and he will get it done, I try to worry about things I have control of. I'm just sayin'.

Dan

I did know that, and Chris brought my attention to the scoreboard detail.
I'm not upset and I'm not worried. I totally agree with you that it's Bruton's to do with whatever he pleases.
I was just curious, that's all. I go to both Vegas races and I love the facility.

Jim, I respect your opinion and your very much correct about the racers not liking the 4-Wide... As a racer, I would think it sucks. But as a fan, who is interested in seeing more teams, more cars, more sponsors, more money to the sport....I don't see where 4-WIDE is going to KILL THE SPORT like so many on this board (and others) are animate will happen.
I agree with your wanting to see growth Tim. 4 wide isn't it. Novelty yes. Did it draw interest yes, but I beleive it was temporary. No, 4 wide won't KILL the sport ... but it isn't the growth engine Bruton or NHRA are looking for.

What exactly is wrong with this? If you guys want to see your favorite teams out there competing, you'd better get used to this simple concept... MONEY TALKS. In todays economy we've got to come up with creative ways of putting A$$ in the seat.
That's a great point Tim ... If the sport of drag racing is going to continue to thrive, it has to do 2 things in my opinion:

1) Find a way to get the young drivers a seat. The 50/60 year old drivers won't be around much longer. Shirley coming back isn't the right answer either.

2) Find a way to attract the 18-30 year old fan base into the sport. NHRA has probably the got the oldest (on avg.) fan base of any sport. Today's younger generation seem to have little interest in the current NHRA brand.

Joe, I believe what Paul is referring to is having the Google Earth image on his screen, hitting the print screen command on his keyboard, and then using the paste command in MS Windows basic Paint program, and then saving it as a jpeg file.

Well since I have a Mac, guess you can't do that.

That's a great point Tim ... If the sport of drag racing is going to continue to thrive, it has to do 2 things in my opinion:

1) Find a way to get the young drivers a seat. The 50/60 year old drivers won't be around much longer. Shirley coming back isn't the right answer either.

2) Find a way to attract the 18-30 year old fan base into the sport. NHRA has probably the got the oldest (on avg.) fan base of any sport. Today's younger generation seem to have little interest in the current NHRA brand.

http://www.crxmedia.com

We're working towards JUST THAT.... :cool: Check out the clients...

I did know that, and Chris brought my attention to the scoreboard detail.
I'm not upset and I'm not worried. I totally agree with you that it's Bruton's to do with whatever he pleases.
I was just curious, that's all. I go to both Vegas races and I love the facility.

Did not mean to point the upset comment at you Paul, I just think many people here are getting too wound up over something they have no control over.

The only people that will decide whether 4 wide works or not will be the paying customer, and that will take a while to find out (more than one or two races).

I give Bruton a lot of credit for his willingness to spend the money to find out.

Dan

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back