"SMI founder drag racing's best friend" by Jeff Wolf (1 Viewer)

Good article, with tracks like Bristol, Vegas and Now Charlotte. Bruton now has some leverage with NHRA. Can you imagine if Bruton just out of the Blue decided to purchase the IHRA and switch all of those tracks to IHRA races????:eek::eek::eek:

Wow, that was an interesting article. Thanks for the link Jackee. Obviously Bruton knows that raising the stakes will raise the visiblity of the sport.

Good article, with tracks like Bristol, Vegas and Now Charlotte. Bruton now has some leverage with NHRA. Can you imagine if Bruton just out of the Blue decided to purchase the IHRA and switch all of those tracks to IHRA races????:eek::eek::eek:

If that happened I might get interested again.

He had his chance recently ... the circus bought it instead. If he wanted it, he would have gotten it.

It would be cheaper to buy NHRA with all of the existing tracks/events/TV Package/sponsor agreements in place, than it would be to buy IHRA and try to build it up to where NHRA is now.

In the failed HDP deal, NHRA set the price at $120 million. Sources say Bruton is in the 90-100 million range. Either NHRA will lower their price or Bruton will decide to raise his ... or nothing will happen at all and business will continue as normal.

In any event, I hope SMI/Bruton keeps building them like he has Vegas and Concord. My sincere hope is that he builds a similar drag strip at Kentucky Motorspeedway, as that is only about 15 miles from where my parents live!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, Jackee....Jeff is always a good read. Bellagio of drag strips or not, I`m interested to see how many of those 30,000 seats get filled this weekend.

Great article by Jeff Wolf. He seems to understand the NHRA head office quite well, doesn't he. Here's hoping Bruton keeps doing it his way.

Ma Green

Thanks for the link, Jackee....Jeff is always a good read. Bellagio of drag strips or not, I`m interested to see how many of those 30,000 seats get filled this weekend.
All of them and then some. I have never seen the stands this packed at any event. The seats are full and they are 5-6 deep on the fence. This "sell out" is the real deal.

Brent, I saw your pics on the other thread and yeah, the place is packed! We decided that next year we`re going to skip the two Vegas races and go to two places we`ve never been....I guarantee you Concords going to be one of them.

I think there is a saying.. If you can't go in the front door. use the back one....

Hi Tom.... Mr smith calling.

I hate to be the bearer of good and bad new for you. But I figured I'd call you first and let you know all my track will not be having National events starting Next WEEK for the remainder of 09 on out.

Excuse me Mr Smith.. you can't do this we have contracts.

LOL ya your a non profit sue Me.. Ok well I have to go take care of building a few more tracks.. take care Tom.

Wait Mr Smith.. Yes Tommy Boy...

Well what am I going to do with 1/2 my events missing.. How do I explain this to everyone..

Well Tommy... Seams like your the Big Shot there you will find a way. You don't need me or my help. call graham cracker Light maybe he can fix you up fast. Oh by the way if you don't want to lose everything Wally Built then perhap I can write you a check for 50 mill. and include a 5 mill severance pay for you. And YOU can keep your sportsman clasess But they have to pay me to run events SEPERATE from National event weekends.. Our program for Pro does not include time wasting throttle stop classes..

Sorry Tom to cut you short But I am kinda busy Have a good day.

CLICK

All of them and then some. I have never seen the stands this packed at any event. The seats are full and they are 5-6 deep on the fence. This "sell out" is the real deal.

Must be all those nitro starved NASCAR fans. HA! Glad to know the inaugural event is a success! Many more to come, I hope. Can't wait to see what they do with those other 2 lanes! ;)

Maybe 4 at a time Nitro burning funny car match races, like the old days at York. woo woo! Now wouldn't THAT be fun! :D :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back