Jeff Arend's Idea (1 Viewer)

I'm a diehard and pretty old-school. I prefer the old-style qualifying format, and 1320 racing. I also long for 32 car TF fields at Indy, among many other things. I don't want drag racing to be WWE, but on the other hand, we have to recognize a changing world and changing demographics. There have been many threads on this topic, but maybe the racing ISN'T getting it done? I don't know. But, the racing was great this wekend. A fight to get into the fuel fields, a DEAD EVEN final in PS, crazy arse Pro Mods and TF Harleys, and did you see the stands? I know the economy is hurting everyone, and not just drag racing. I don't think it's everything though.

I imagine the first round choices would create the ladder? Hey ask Jeff, it's his idea! :D

Don't get me wrong, I think the racing is as good as it has ever been both in Top Fuel and Funny Car. Just thought it might add some excitement and create some "real" rivalries to the normal ladder. The idea would be for the #1 qualifier to pick his opponent and then the #2 guy would be next and so on unless they got picked already. So your qualifying spot would still mean something and depending on who picked who it would be possible to be in the bottom half of the order and still get lane choice. For the second round low ET of the first round gets his/her pick and so on.

Love or hate the Countdown it has added a lot of excitement to the middle of the year especially for the teams close to the 10 spot. The racing is closer now than when Force used to dominate and basically had the Championship all but sewn up by Indy. Even though he earned it, it wasn't that exciting for the fans or media coming down the stretch.

For example as you get close to Indy the guys in the number 9 or 10 spot if they qualify well at a race might want to race the team that is close to bumping them out just to distance themselves so more. It could backfire though and that's where it gets exciting. Or maybe if one team would always pick another you could get some great new rivalries.

Again just an idea.. I think the actual racing is good enough but maybe a change to get more press (ink) would keep our sport growing!

I like the idea. As long as nhra doesn't turn it into a over drama, dancing with the stars thing. "number 1.....who do you pick???.......(10 second drum roll).......Folks we'll find out after this word from our sponsor".

We need to try something to bring in the young, the countdown sure didn't do it. And Karl I agree, the Friday 12 is even worse.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back