Jeff Arend's Idea (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
During his interview on ESPN3 last night, Jeff was talking about an idea to spice up driver introductions. I might not have heard everything right because I got distracted while trying to watch, but I believe he suggested having drivers choose who they want to race, which I think is an awesome idea! Talk about spicing things up! So for example, the No.1 qualifier gets to choose first, and he/she may choose the the No.2 qualifier, or a rival, or the points leader, or whatever. This would improve the show in several ways. It gets rid of the No.1 vs. 16 deal we've had, which I think at the very least should have been put back to No.1 vs. 9. It could really make things exciting during the countdown, it makes the driver intros something people would really look forward to, and it's bound to spark some real rivalries. This is the kind of stuff that could really help bring new fans into the sport. Anyone else like this idea?

I like it! That would be fun. Nobody knows a thing until all 16 drivers are standing live onstage, Sunday morning. Watch out for the "team orders" rumors though. Or heck better yet, NHRA could sell raffle tickets at the track; the lucky fan gets selected, they bring them up onstage & let them draw names from a hat. NHRA will love that because they can sell raffle tickets :D

Last edited:
I can hear the first complaint now that say racer x chose teammate racer y to run first round, then racer y mysteriously cuts a bad light handing the win to racer x...

The theory behind #1 facing #16 is that #1 earned the right to face the weakest car in the field... if 1 faced 9 and 2 faced 10 and so on, #8 spot would be most desired.

you would have nothing but problems. It would be nice to test it out, but what stops the # 1 guy always picking the team that dont have the means to beat him? No disrespect, but Spencer Massey could pick Novelli every time knowing he has no chance running a top 5 e.t

.......but what stops the # 1 guy always picking the team that dont have the means to beat him? No disrespect, but Spencer Massey could pick Novelli every time knowing he has no chance running a top 5 e.t

That's what already happens with the current setup.

Makes as much sense as the count down and only carrying over twelve from Friday....

And IT's not a Nitro SHOW... It's ONLY about winning.... It's about being the baddest SOB or DOB....

and No, I still don't like the countdown

d'kid

I guess there are potential problems, especially considering the teams deal, but no system's fool-proof. I think it would be cool to try. I know Jeff posts here occasionally, maybe when he's got a minute away from racing he'll chime in.

This is the kind of stuff that could really help bring new fans into the sport. Anyone else like this idea?

new fans perhaps...I understand in this current cultural climate where housewifing is worthy of television time (and a lot of it) and the comfort food tv of "gee, everyone else is as petty and vacuous as I am"
I understand I'm not the typical target audience....personally, it's not a bad idea he came up with, seems like that's exactly what people crave....I go for the Nitro....not the weenieroasting wheelstander stuff...but more power to them, means the pits will be empty during driver's introductions....good time to go look at what's up. Win Win?

Makes as much sense as the count down and only carrying over twelve from Friday....
and No, I still don't like the countdown

yup...I'm with you....I am still waiting for them to erect a high dive for a horse, and get some bonehead that gets in a box with dynamite....then when that wears off, they'll light the horse on fire and put a newlywed couple in the box and blow them up, then when that wears off....

I know Jeff posts here occasionally, maybe when he's got a minute away from racing he'll chime in.

I think he said what he wanted to say on tv...like I said, for what it is, it's a good idea, I think everyone here is worried about #1 picking on #16 (which thankfully someone mentioned that's the way it is already)

To me, the interesting part was his comment that in the countdown the ability to pick someone you're neck-and-neck with could possibly yield big results, bad or good....there will be the potential to distance yourself from your closest competitor, and I am all for scr*wing with the countdown....

ps....ask Dario and Will how that Texas raffle worked last year...

Last edited:
Im not into this gimicky showy stuff so it sounds funny to me. Stick to the racing. This sounds too much like those wrestling shows.

I can hear the first complaint now that say racer x chose teammate racer y to run first round, then racer y mysteriously cuts a bad light handing the win to racer x...

The theory behind #1 facing #16 is that #1 earned the right to face the weakest car in the field... if 1 faced 9 and 2 faced 10 and so on, #8 spot would be most desired.

What would be the purpose of qualifying then?

And No.1 would get first choice, No.2 next choice (unless already picked by No.1 !) and so on.

Sounds to me like we'd be turning the Pro ranks into another WWE. We'd have trash talk onstage...what next body slams...chairs..tables...not what I go to the RACES for. If you want a circus go to an IHRA show...:cool:

This is the kind of stuff that could really help bring new fans into the sport. Anyone else like this idea?

Not sure how you figure that would bring new fans...i dont like the idea, but then again I still wish we were running 1320'

If you want to go out there on a limb...qualify top 16, then blind draw. #1 picks first, #2 picks next...you could end up running #2 or your teammate.

Not sure how you figure that would bring new fans...i dont like the idea, but then again I still wish we were running 1320'

If you want to go out there on a limb...qualify top 16, then blind draw. #1 picks first, #2 picks next...you could end up running #2 or your teammate.

I think Arend's idea was qual 1-8 choose in order....Q1 picks whoever they want to race, could be Q2, could be Q16, if Q2 gets picked, they're obviously out of the pick now, so Q9 gets a shot to pick eventually and so on....again, not into it, but it's right up there with having to entertain the fans at a drag race, as if the racing wasn't really getting it done....lol

Im not into this gimicky showy stuff so it sounds funny to me. Stick to the racing. This sounds too much like those wrestling shows.

I would rather have the PSM intro their opponent deal. At E-Town Matt Smith had to intro Rival Michael Phillips, it's still fun though (not the "WWE Universe" *bangs head against wall* idea).

Initially I thought.. Hmm that's kind of interesting, but it hurts the integrity of the sport. But then I remembered we have a top 12 rule on friday, the Countdown to the Championship, and 1,000 foot nitro cars. So, there really isn't any integrity left since it's not a sport, but more of a show. I only say that because it happened during my generation, I'm sure old timers said the sport went away with the christmas tree, qualified fields, rule books, added races per year, going from 1 vs 9 to 1 vs 16 pro ladders, etc... It's just something else that would evolve the show for the next generation.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back