Your thoughts and opinions on NHRA Please. (1 Viewer)

I think people assume non-pc has to be a hell raiser and that isn't what it has to be.

I just want real. I get that you have to plug your sponsor but show me you give a damn.

I don't expect a driver in an interview to sound like he/she is in the WWE.
Beckman and Brown are always upbeat and positive. They promote their sponsor but have some emotion and heart with what they say. I respect that. Capps and Clay also seem to show real emotion as well.

I love Bob running up from the finish line. I have said for years that if I ever got a chance that is what I would do after a win. (Now I have to pick something else).

I loved seeing Jones in tears, simply because I get it. You chase that dream for so, so long and you finally arrive. Let em fly brother, you earned it.

I always rooted for Cory Mac. One reason was because he so hated to lose. I don't want poor sport, blame the other guy or it's someone else fault type of stuff. Just someone who wants to win so much.

I agree

My thought is this: There was a time (3 years ago) that I had to see how the field looked after First Round of qualifying. I would monitor it through the weekend and anxiously look at the ladder Saturday evening to see what was what. Who was facing who? What driver had the best path to the semi's or finals? This was done in all the categories.

Fast fwd to this season where I will admit that I have missed entire races and sometimes not known who won until mid-week.

I don't really have a concrete answer as to why this is. There seems to be about 5 reasons.

I realized a lot over the past few years in todays "everything at your fingertips world". In fact some of us "diehards" may be a victim of our own over-saturation of the product.

I no longer watch, and actively avoid all NASCAR tv. I do look fwd to watching IndyCar Racing and I believe this is because green flag to checkered flag is really all I see of it in between races. That may be the key.

It just puzzles me how I have lost tune with the NHRA this season. I don't really have a firm answer.

Steve I feel the exact same way and trying to figure out why?

a perfect example of why their cant be rivalries is the Erica Enders / Greg Anderson episode from last year. according to Erica, Summit (Greg's sponsor) released a statement regarding the incident and if memory serves the worst thing he said was be professional and something about karma. I don't know about you, but i can think of a lot nastier things to say to someone than 'be professional'. So if Greg really trashed her in anyway, it appeared he'd woulda been in alot of trouble. When your racin' on someon elses dime, u have to be extremely careful about what u say and do

T/F Zizzo -- Strausburg
F/C Wilkerson
P/S No one really of late, past: Bagshaw and Yuell (sp?) Brothers
PSM Karen

Hi Nancy:

FYI re: Bagshaw. As you know he had a nasty crash in his last race car which was a Ron Butler built pro stocker in the 1970's. The only thing left worth keeping was the carb plate and scoop off the hood. I ended up getting it from Tim Hall back then because he knew Bill Bagshaw well and Bill let him run it on his A/Dragster. It was a nice piece (everything Ron Butler built was nice). The only other alternative was a home made scoop or a Harwood PVC plastic scoop that lasted about 2 runs before breaking apart. I bought it and used it on my A/Altered in the late '70's-early '80's.

Whenever I sell a race car I always keep the scoop or injector as a momento off the car. All that to say, I still have that Bill Bagshaw/Ron Butler built carb plate and scoop off his last race car on the shelf here at my house. And it still has some of the burgundy paint under the black pearl coat.

No, it's not for sale!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Randy

Last edited:
My favorite MIAs

T/F Cory Mac - passionate, fan-friendly...

F/C Whit - passionate, fan-friendly :D

P/S Dave Connolly - hell of a shoe.

PSM - Angelle - passionate and fan-friendly...

My favorites currently running...Langdon, Beckman, Jeggie and John Hall

2 and a half mega teams

Don't forget about Alan Johnson and the Al-anabi team

They have won 2 of the last 3 Top fuel championships.

Yeah, I didn't forget AJ (he has won 11 of the last 16 Top Fuel Championships) but I was specifically speaking of Funny Car. 20 years from now I don't know if we will be talking about an AJ vs DSR rivalry the same way we will about the floppers of JFR vs DSR. AJ is the best no doubt, but Force is transcendent.

I have to go with the guys who won this years NHRA championships as my list of outstanding competitors.

Langdon, because He earned it, and has truely come up the ranks.

Force, because, winning NHRA championships is what He does best.

Jeg because we have been friends for more years than either of us will admit to, and He is a cool dude.

Matt Smith because He didn't take the BS and drama from those other bike guys, and just flat showed how it is done.

T/F Khalid alBalooshi
F/C Gary Densham
P/S Enders-Stevens
P/S/B Anyone not named Arana or Smith

old school
AA/FD Zookeeper
AA/FC Mike VanSant or Densham or Dave Beebe
A/MP-pro stock Wally Booth (freacken Rambler)
Grumpy's Toy & Mopar Missile Two cars that killed the concept of ProStock

d'kid

Top Fuel - Clay Millican, all around nice guy.
FC - Courtney Force, best legs on a FC driver ever.
PS - Vincent Nobile, good to see the competitive young guns.

read an article somewhere that the e-cigarette business is cleaning house although not yet FDA legalized; article
went on to say that industry just mite be sitting on a pile of marketing money waiting for the rite place to spend.
suppose anyone within nhra or teams has approached this industry?
the vices have and will always sell big and they used to be a large presence in nhra.
tobacco was banned and beer companies bailed.....i mean come on, rite now nhra can not even entice a
any major US popular beer brand to even be an assoc. sponsor to reinforce a brand:eek:
2012 top ten selling domestic beers in US....bud light / coors light / bud / miller lite /
natural light / corona extra / busch lite / busch / mich ultra light / heineken
in the top four alone the 2012 gross sales were north of $12B....yet no interest in nhra....not good.

I've already posted this on another thread.

Let me start by saying, I'm an NHRA member have been for 20 years. I'm a racer and a fan. I go to two events a year (both Pomona's) to watch. The "show" at the track is great and I don't mind spending the money twice a year to see "The Big Show."

Having said that the TV side gets old very fast and it's hard to watch. It's the same content every show. The same drivers, teams, crew, and owners are talked about and interviewed every week and they tend to say the same stuff over and over again. Rarely are smaller, or lower budgeted teams profiled or interviewed. How about some NHRA history, more tech, or where are they now stuff. Someone needs to get a clue.

The NHRA is a great product it's just under marketed. It's a real disservive to NHRA drag racing the way it's being marketed now.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back