How long will it be before somebody is KILLED??? (1 Viewer)

I haven’t read this entire tread so forgive me if it has been brought up already. I noticed during the Mile High coverage during round 2 of PSB that after the bikes launched there a couple of people still standing on the far end of the track and were running for the wall after the bikes launched. Did anyone else notice this? I was pretty shocked that was ever allowed to happen.

Please understand that this is not the way I run my car or clutches. We have never pushed our cars after starting. This is someone else's set up and a proceedure they are using, and I feel since they have shown they are doing it safely, they should have the right to do it their way with their car.

Alan's clutch set up only uses 5 primary levers with a unique radius system and a minimal amount of weight. It is not my place to give actual numbers and set ups. The burnout proceedure puts heat into the clutch and the rate of expansion of the discs and floaters is greater than the titanium stands which closes the clutch gap. Sometimes a little too much stall spring (and with the lack of fingers and weight is touchy) the gap isn't closed enough on the burnout and the car needs to be helped towards the starting line. It is critical for the gap to be consistent, as a .005" difference in gap changes the lever's tip approximately .021" creating lever angle. Lever angle changes leverage of the lever, which changes the characteristics of the clutch. Same goes for clutch wear. The safety record for the 3 years this has been going on is perfect and the performances and consistency of the cars using this system speaks for itself.

As far as the pro stock deal, I am sure the people doing it understand the where's and why's of the proceedure, and again, for the thousands of runs that it has been taking place, their safety record is perfect. It is not my place to dictate to these professionals how they should do their job when they have shown that what they are doing, they can do safely, time after time.

Randy - I am not saying Scott did anything wrong, or is not safety consious. I feel that anything attached to the throttle that can open the throttle during a malfunction should be redesigned or banned from use entirely. I was not aware of anything that would do this, as I am sure Scott wasn't either. The cars in question in this topic have no such device, and the last thing in line is a heavy spring that closes the throttle in case of any linkage malfunction.

Basically all I am saying is that if you want to call for another safety rule, show just cause with facts that are relevent why the rule should be implemented. I am trying to show with facts why I feel the rules being called for are not needed. And other rules or situations are not relevent to the situations that rules are being called to ban.

Thank you for answering my questions. That makes sense with only 5 instead of six primary's and not much weight. I also figured the main reason was because of heat. I would assume the car would move on its own, but slipping the clutch that much would obviously heat it up alot. Having more lever angle also makes the secondary's ride the bearing longer and makes them more aggresive when they come off the bearing. I have not personally seen what Alan is doing in the can, but that does make a little bit of sense, thank you.

YouTube - Fuel altered uh-oh

YouTube - Outlaw Fuel Altered Crash

Maybe these videos should be moved to the nostalgia section or sportsman section as they are not directly related to the original post about the pro teams crew on the starting line...I'm just trying to make a point on starting lane safety overall...

Rant really over now...

These videos should be in a file called "Driver Training - why drivers should understand the function and proper use of a clutch prior to them ever being allowed in a race car, especially running on a track". In both videos you will notice the engine rpm does not rise, but the cars move, or move faster. That is because the driver mis-used the clutch and created too much heat, then panicked from the results and their reactions made the problem worse. This is mainly driver error, but is the crew's fault also for allowing these drivers into a car in the first place. And I will guarantee you that the drivers got out and blamed the set up on the car as the problem, which it wasn't.

I do not feel these tracks or starting lines should be compared to a national event starting line. And I especially feel the drivers and crews in the videos should not be in the same conversation as the drivers and crews who are pushing their cars at national events. There is no comparison at all in their level of experience, knowledge or skill levels.

I realize these statements will upset some, but they are just truthfully stating the obvious. I have been in both arenas and know first hand the differences, and the rules and proceedures need to be different.

'DRIVER TRAINING'???
The video w/ Dave Gallegos rolling Mitch Kings altered was not his fault. The idle adjustment screw/nut was not locked down and while backing up he noticed engine RPM climbing and reacted perfectly by turning the wheel and flipping the altered rather than running into other cars/people---far from drivers training...

Right Dave, and it's been much longer than that. Many yrs ago Kenny Bernstien ran his crew over. SO this is nothin new. Why does nhra wait till it's FATAL before they act???

STAY AWAY FROM A RUNNING RACE CAR........PERIOD

After that happened, was when the NHRA instituted a colored line that was before the starting line, I think it was blue, in which they could only touch the car when it was behind it, like the lifting of the FC body to turn on the air bottle for the timers.

'DRIVER TRAINING'???
The video w/ Dave Gallegos rolling Mitch Kings altered was not his fault. The idle adjustment screw/nut was not locked down and while backing up he noticed engine RPM climbing and reacted perfectly by turning the wheel and flipping the altered rather than running into other cars/people---far from drivers training...

There are two idle set screws with lock nuts, one on each end of the shaft, on every injector. They sit against a protrusion or stud sticking out the injector and keep the blades open a certain amount for idle adjustment. A spring on the injector keep them seated. If they come loose, the idle goes down because the blades close, not up. In the video I do not notice the engine rpm go up until the wheel is turned.

Mitch's altered is equiped with a pedal clutch. Notice at the end of the burn out he blips the throttle without the car jumping. If the clutch had not been mis-used backing up, why couldn't he just push the clutch in, grab more brake and pull the fuel shut off? No damage to pride or equipment. His actions and reactions were far from perfect and the video should go under driver training.

Hell, let them just get on with it, I am sure the kids on YouTube will find these pushing accidents very funny, so what if lives are changed because they end up in a wheelchair, it will be more business for the wheelchair manufactures.

I will be getting Darrel Gryn's view on this thread as he knows more than others about accidents. I feel he would have the same feelings as me, but most likely be wrong!

Also both national and divisonal rules should be the same. Look how the uk motorsport is formed, all classes learn from eachother.

If you want nhra to be as big as f1 and stop loosing drivers and crew members Lively hoods. You have to be so hot on Safety.

F1 hasn't lost a driver or anybody in the sport been badly injured since 1994 and Senna.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back