How long will it be before somebody is KILLED??? (1 Viewer)

It is starting to get ridiculous with the pushing the cars all around the starting line, whether anybody gets hurt or not. Ya it does increase the chance something will happen, but I don't know how much hand holding we need to do.

This sport is absolutely monkey-see-monkey-do all the way down to the sportsman ranks and bracket racers. It always has been. For example, one person wins a big money bracket race and they just happen to have been rolling through the water, backing up, rolling through, backing up, and then start their burnout off the transbrake.....the next race you've got 10 more people doing the same thing. Shortly after, a new fad will come along and people will try to emulate that as well even if they don't know why they are doing it. It's just human nature I guess.

I have no problem with the adjustments being made to the barrel valve, slide valve, etc. after the car is back at the line from the burnout. That is just something that has to be done on a Fueler. These adjustments are being made while the driver has their foot on the clutch pedal and their hand on the brake. The only way the car will move is if somebody taps the throttle.
Working on the barrel-valve IS working on the throttle and all it takes is a freak lightning-storm to hit the crew chief's arm while he's adjusting it and you could have an accident of biblical proportions. :eek:

As it has been stated already, the crews now the dangers and have a pretty damn good record.

Just because someone THINKS it's dangerous doesn't mean another rule is needed.

There is going to be a crew member that gets killed pretty soon if NHRA doesn't step in now!!! Attention NHRA, would you please stop these crew people from pushing these cars around on the starting line!!! I know this subject was touched on here before, but this practice has really gone too far. This pushing the cars off thing started a few years ago with Alan Johnson and the Army car. They would fire the engine and then push the car off. Drag Racing is a monkey see, monkey do sport, so a few other teams wanted to do it too. A few weeks ago, this pushing the car up to the line crap started and now all the copycats are doing it with their cars. But, what I saw Cory Mac's crew do over the weekend, I blew a gasket. In case nobody noticed, they are now pushing the car through the water box a then letting go of it just before Cory does his burnout. If one of these guys tripped and fell, Cory would burnout right over him and could potentally kill the crew guy. This kind of foolishness has to STOP NOW, before something happens. NHRA needs to tell these guys to keep their damn hands off of these cars when they are moving. The drivers have been able to move the cars forward on their own since the beginning of Drag Racing. Why do we have to push them now. This just isn't safe and NHRA claims to be all about safety. Anybody remember when Pro Stocks would have a guy push on each side of the rear of the car while the driver did the burnout? Any guesses on why that was stopped? I have been around this sport for most of my life and quite frankly, I've seen enough people get killed at Drag Races. NHRA, I EMPLORE YOU, PLEASE STOP THIS STUPIDITY BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!

Dave

I don't understand why your having such a problem with their practices! It don't take much to get you worked up does it? :p

Since you "blew a gasket" why don't you go down to Corey's team and let them know how you feel?
If you do please let us know what kind of reception you get....;)

Some of you folks really jumped on Dave for his concerns. I think everyone can agree that there is a risk in pushing the cars to the line. How great that risk is the debate. But all the NHRA has to do is make a rule "Don't push the cars to the line" and the risk, no matter how small, is gone.

Its monkey see monkey do because people perceive that by pushing the car to the line they have some sort of advantage, so they have to do it too. If the rule "don't push the cars to the line" were used, no one has any sort of advantage - level playing field - and the risk is gone. How simple was that?

If the solution to a small problem is simple, why not do it?

If Mr. Hartman is so comfortable with the current situation, maybe he can have his grandchildren out on the line pushing whatever miserable excuse for a race car he drags to the track.

I know, it's the internet and a free country and there is a whole lot of humor and crap but also good debate and information on this site. I don't know Mark or Virgil but that miserable excuse attack on Virgil sure came out of left field.

Any of you ostriches out there remember Dickie Venables and his incident a few years back.

After the car starts, everyone needs to be behind it and not touch it. I would like to see the barrel valve tango ended. If Mr. Hartman is so comfortable with the current situation, maybe he can have his grandchildren out on the line pushing whatever miserable excuse for a race car he drags to the track.
Dickie's deal was when the body tangled with the throttle right? Haven't seen that since.

And I'm with Dan & Nunz..piss poor excuse for a post Mark

Alan created a way to run his clutch so that it would be more consistant, and what he did made it difficult for the car to move initially safely, so the pushing of the car was devised for his team. The DSR teams use Alan's set up, hence they push the car also. Alan leases clutch parts and set ups to selected teams around the world. Not all of them go to the extreme that Alan does, and they use methods to get the car moving other than pushing.

The drivers and crew persons that are involved are above average in experience, skill and common sense and have precautions in place to guard against mishaps.

Race cars are dangerous to begin with, but have a pretty good safety record. There are many injuries and situations that occur around race cars that the average spectator seldom, if ever, hears about. To make them totally safe, we need to do away with them entirely. But as I posted earlier, you are not totally safe anywhere, so why not loosen up and enjoy life a little.

If I bring a car to the line, that means that it passed tech and is legal. Whether you think it is a piece of art, or a POS, one thing remains, it is mine. I have always raced for my personal satisfaction and the people that accompany me are there because they want to be there. My grandkids know enough about race cars, especially how to be safe around them, that if they choose to do something to or around the car, it would be done correctly and safely, the first time and every time.

Did anyone notice the two people run across the track, AFTER THE GREEN, 2nd rd pro bike ?? Neither Page or Dunn had anything to say about THAT.

I saw that on TV, too. I was hoping you could see it on the replay but it did not show it. Boy oh boy, one slip by either guy and that would have been ugly. Not to say that they still could not have jumped out of the way even if they did trip up.... after all it was a PSB :D; but the remifications of the aftermath would have been ugly.

My general observation at Denver during the rain delays on raceday were that everything was hurried. I'm not saying anyone is to blame or that anoyone in particular made deliberate short cuts.... but I can tell you by just being in the staging lanes & at the fence during the track drying, I could feel that "everyone" was racing against the clock to call it a day.

Last edited:
And do you know why they were trying to get the body up? Maybe to arm the timer system? In case you don't remember, they had that race won when Melanie smoked the tires...and then Neff blew up big time.
Yes i knew exactly why. I guess the sarcasm is lost on the internet. This is a dumb topic. EVERYONE involved with going to the starting line know very well this can be a DANGEROUS PLACE but here we are talking about it again trying to childproof arming a 300 mph missle that is 7000 horsepower.

You guys are right and I'm wrong. This is a dumb topic and it probably should be deleted before anybody else is offended by my thoughts. Everybody who races or has something to do with racing knows it's dangerous and they know the risks. Great, since all of these highly trained proffessionals assume the risk and are ready for the worst, I feel there is no longer a need for any safety equipment whatsoever. Get rid of the helmets, seat belts, firesuits, competition licenses, blower bags, guardrails, Safety Safari, chassis certs, and all of the other needless expenses. If somebody crashes, or burns up, or gets run over; big deal. Hey what's the problem, they know the risks. Obviously, all of the improvements in Drag Racing were never made for safety reasons even in the least. Don Garlits didn't build a workable rear engine Dragster because his slingshot blew his foot off. He just did it for a publicity stunt. NHRA didn't make titanium bellhousings a requirement for safety. The only did it because they didn't want the fans getting free souveniers when the clutch discs flew into the stands. Goodyear didn't make a better front tire for Dragsters because Shirley crashed. They just wanted everybody to buy new tires. I could go on and on about this but what is the point? Nick and Paul and a few others understand what I'm talking about and they get it. However, based on what the majority have expressed about this it's pretty obvious I'm clueless. All is well in Drag Racing and especially in the Fuel classes. If Alan Johnson did something and everybody copied what he did, it's OK because is Alan Johnson is "god", or "the magic man", or whatever else his followers want to call him. That's cool, Alan is a great tuner and he sets the pace for Nitro Racing now and forever. NHRA has no business making or changing rules if it will effect what Alan does. I am truly sorry that I upset people here with my concern about these human beings that work on today's Nitro teams. They are all highly trained and that assures that they will never be the victim of an accident. Just like when nobody falls off of a new skyscraper that's being built. I'm sure everything will be swell and everybody will be OK. I've heard people say that this or that is impossible. I have learned that the meaning of impossible is that it hasn't happened yet. My Dad told me about how all of the automotive geniuses said years ago that no car would ever be able to go over 150 MPH. They said it was impossible. Get my drift?:rolleyes:

Have a good day.
Dave

You guys are right and I'm wrong. This is a dumb topic and it probably should be deleted before anybody else is offended by my thoughts. Everybody who races or has something to do with racing knows it's dangerous and they know the risks. Great, since all of these highly trained proffessionals assume the risk and are ready for the worst, I feel there is no longer a need for any safety equipment whatsoever. Get rid of the helmets, seat belts, firesuits, competition licenses, blower bags, guardrails, Safety Safari, chassis certs, and all of the other needless expenses. If somebody crashes, or burns up, or gets run over; big deal. Hey what's the problem, they know the risks. Obviously, all of the improvements in Drag Racing were never made for safety reasons even in the least. Don Garlits didn't build a workable rear engine Dragster because his slingshot blew his foot off. He just did it for a publicity stunt. NHRA didn't make titanium bellhousings a requirement for safety. The only did it because they didn't want the fans getting free souveniers when the clutch discs flew into the stands. Goodyear didn't make a better front tire for Dragsters because Shirley crashed. They just wanted everybody to buy new tires. I could go on and on about this but what is the point? Nick and Paul and a few others understand what I'm talking about and they get it. However, based on what the majority have expressed about this it's pretty obvious I'm clueless. All is well in Drag Racing and especially in the Fuel classes. If Alan Johnson did something and everybody copied what he did, it's OK because is Alan Johnson is "god", or "the magic man", or whatever else his followers want to call him. That's cool, Alan is a great tuner and he sets the pace for Nitro Racing now and forever. NHRA has no business making or changing rules if it will effect what Alan does. I am truly sorry that I upset people here with my concern about these human beings that work on today's Nitro teams. They are all highly trained and that assures that they will never be the victim of an accident. Just like when nobody falls off of a new skyscraper that's being built. I'm sure everything will be swell and everybody will be OK. I've heard people say that this or that is impossible. I have learned that the meaning of impossible is that it hasn't happened yet. My Dad told me about how all of the automotive geniuses said years ago that no car would ever be able to go over 150 MPH. They said it was impossible. Get my drift?:rolleyes:

Have a good day.
Dave

Have you ever given much thought to multiple paragraphs? I'm just sayin'...

Have a good day.
Dave

WOW !!! i guess we should apologize. If you have all the answers why aren't you in Grahm Lights job or Dan Olsons since you have the answer about safety. If you want true safety. Put a for sale sign on the race car and buy a bubble.

Get rid of the helmets, seat belts, firesuits, competition licenses, blower bags, guardrails, Safety Safari, chassis certs, and all of the other needless expenses. If somebody crashes, or burns up, or gets run over; big deal.

Don't be silly. You are making it sound like we are asking to be hurt and not doing ANYTHING about it. I can assure you, there are preparations to the crew just as there are the drivers.

You could also lobby for getting rid of spectators in the pits, since the car could fall off the racks or raw fuel can spraw during warm ups, or people who have a purpose to be there need to get through and have to honk and weave to get back to their pits, the spectators who walk around with their heads in the clouds not realizing that race cars are coming through the pits with hot parts and a hurried crew...a whole list of injuries that can happen to people out there.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back