How long will it be before somebody is KILLED??? (1 Viewer)

Dave

Nitro Member
There is going to be a crew member that gets killed pretty soon if NHRA doesn't step in now!!! Attention NHRA, would you please stop these crew people from pushing these cars around on the starting line!!! I know this subject was touched on here before, but this practice has really gone too far. This pushing the cars off thing started a few years ago with Alan Johnson and the Army car. They would fire the engine and then push the car off. Drag Racing is a monkey see, monkey do sport, so a few other teams wanted to do it too. A few weeks ago, this pushing the car up to the line crap started and now all the copycats are doing it with their cars. But, what I saw Cory Mac's crew do over the weekend, I blew a gasket. In case nobody noticed, they are now pushing the car through the water box a then letting go of it just before Cory does his burnout. If one of these guys tripped and fell, Cory would burnout right over him and could potentally kill the crew guy. This kind of foolishness has to STOP NOW, before something happens. NHRA needs to tell these guys to keep their damn hands off of these cars when they are moving. The drivers have been able to move the cars forward on their own since the beginning of Drag Racing. Why do we have to push them now. This just isn't safe and NHRA claims to be all about safety. Anybody remember when Pro Stocks would have a guy push on each side of the rear of the car while the driver did the burnout? Any guesses on why that was stopped? I have been around this sport for most of my life and quite frankly, I've seen enough people get killed at Drag Races. NHRA, I EMPLORE YOU, PLEASE STOP THIS STUPIDITY BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!

Dave

There is going to be a crew member that gets killed pretty soon if NHRA doesn't step in now!!! Why do we have to push them now. This just isn't safe and NHRA claims to be all about safety.

NHRA, I EMPLORE YOU, PLEASE STOP THIS STUPIDITY BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!! Dave

DL I could not agree more. Once the car is fired, NO ONE should touch / push / or pull it. The DRIVER only should move the car thru the water, and back it up, and stage the car.

This new push-pull nonsense needs to be banned before someone gets hurt, or worse.

Amen, Dave! There's no excuse in not jumping on top of something so obvious. No reason at all to take a reactive approach.

Sean D

I agree and this adjust the stuff on the car after the burnout is just as dangerous. Like last years bristol race between melanie and mike neff.
THE EPITOME OF UNSAFE. Robert hight, deano messing with the car after the body wouldn't raise.

How about at Indy about 4 or 5 yrs when T-Ped did run over a crew guy? I was in the stands for that one and thought I just saw one killed.

Right Dave, and it's been much longer than that. Many yrs ago Kenny Bernstien ran his crew over. SO this is nothin new. Why does nhra wait till it's FATAL before they act???

STAY AWAY FROM A RUNNING RACE CAR........PERIOD

I thought someone would point out the other issue that bothers me - I've seen track officials and photographers standing trackside - far down track. Does this bother anyone else? You can't outrun a dragster full speed.

One name comes to my mind. Herb Parks.

Although it was different in nature, the result could be the same. Good thread.

I thought I saw that as well.

I did however see John dropping F-bombs and had to chuckle.

If I have this correct, the majority of you want no one to touch a race car after the engine is fired. That is not going to happen. The people who accompany the car to the line know it is very dangerous up there. Does anyone actually know of an incident where a crewmember was killed at the starting line?
It's motorsports . . . it's dangerous - the only way to make it completely safe is to stop racing. JMHO

Does anyone actually know of an incident where a crewmember was killed at the starting line?

Herb Parks

However, we have been touching running fuelers since the 50s. In the mid 60s, when we didn't have reversers, we would push start the cars torwards the starting line. When it would fire, the driver would make a u turn behind the line. The car could never make it so several of us would bail out of the push car, grab the roll bar and pull him back so he could complete the turn. Sometimes we would continue to push on up to the line.

Anyone remember the original Hemi Cuda with the torquemaster. Had no reverse. Half a dozen guys would run out and push it back after the burnout.

Some of you guys act like this stuff just happened this year.

Jay

Right Dave, and it's been much longer than that. Many yrs ago Kenny Bernstien ran his crew over. SO this is nothin new. Why does nhra wait till it's FATAL before they act???

STAY AWAY FROM A RUNNING RACE CAR........PERIOD

KB's deal was a little different, he could not get the car into reverse
out on the track, and they had the body up working on it when Kenny accidently hit the throttle. It was really lucky nobody was hurt.

I have no problem with the adjustments being made to the barrel valve, slide valve, etc. after the car is back at the line from the burnout. That is just something that has to be done on a Fueler. These adjustments are being made while the driver has their foot on the clutch pedal and their hand on the brake. The only way the car will move is if somebody taps the throttle. As far as pushing a car back after the burnout, I have had to do this. This does happen from time to time but it is pretty rare anymore. Now, as far as who has been run over by a car on the line, I can think of four right off the top of my head. Don Garlits' former Crew Chief Herb Parks was helping one of the Epperly's (Rocky or Craig, don't remember) and Herb was run over and killed. Certainly wasn't Herb's first day on the job. The next one I can think of was Fuel Altered Racer Dick Demetts. Dick was helping another Racer on the line and Dick got run over. He wasn't killed, but was hurt pretty bad. Next, there was Tim Richards. I don't remember where or when but I remember Joe Amato talking about when he started Racing, he ran over Tim. Finally there was the Pedregon deal but the circumstances were a little different on that one. I'd bet there have been a few more over the years. I'm just concened about the needless pushing and pulling of these cars while the driver is perfectly capable of moving the car on their own. This is a very serious issue that not only could hurt or kill somebody, it could potentally screw up some drivers mentally. Paul mentioned the Bernstein deal at Brainerd in '88. I remember how upset Kenny was after that happened. It really shook him up and all that resulted was a few bumps & bruises. The Bernstein thing was a little different from my original point, but still a good example. I'm not looking for a fight or anything like that, I just don't want anybody else hurt or killed, esspecially when it's easily avoidable.

Dave

I agree and this adjust the stuff on the car after the burnout is just as dangerous. Like last years bristol race between melanie and mike neff.
THE EPITOME OF UNSAFE. Robert hight, deano messing with the car after the body wouldn't raise.

And do you know why they were trying to get the body up? Maybe to arm the timer system? In case you don't remember, they had that race won when Melanie smoked the tires...and then Neff blew up big time.

I shouldn't drive my car close to home because that is where most auto accidents happen, I shouldn't ride my motorcycle because people get killed on them, I shouldn't go boating or swimming because people drown in water, maybe I should just stay in my house to protect myself....... oh wait a minute, doesn't most accidents happen in the shower?

If you are alive, there are opportunities for you to get hurt no matter what you are doing or where you are. I live in America because I want the freedom to do as I choose as long as I am not infringing on the rights of others. When you guys run your teams, you can set the rules for the people on your team, and can choose when, where and how you participate.

It isn't "monkey see, monkey do". The crews doing the pushing were influenced by Alan when he worked for that organization. The reasons were explained and the results were seen.

The incidents you have mentioned should not have happened. Herb was doing something unusual with his back to the car out of sight of the crew person guiding the car back. Tony's was because of a bad choice of equipment that was changed before the next run. Kenny was upset because HE made an error. And you don't even know what happened with Joe/Tim. How many runs have been made since organized drag racing started, and there have been this few of incidents? A pretty good track record in my book.

I shouldn't drive my car close to home because that is where most auto accidents happen, I shouldn't ride my motorcycle because people get killed on them, I shouldn't go boating or swimming because people drown in water, maybe I should just stay in my house to protect myself....... oh wait a minute, doesn't most accidents happen in the shower?

If you are alive, there are opportunities for you to get hurt no matter what you are doing or where you are. I live in America because I want the freedom to do as I choose as long as I am not infringing on the rights of others. When you guys run your teams, you can set the rules for the people on your team, and can choose when, where and how you participate.

It isn't "monkey see, monkey do". The crews doing the pushing were influenced by Alan when he worked for that organization. The reasons were explained and the results were seen.

The incidents you have mentioned should not have happened. Herb was doing something unusual with his back to the car out of sight of the crew person guiding the car back. Tony's was because of a bad choice of equipment that was changed before the next run. Kenny was upset because HE made an error. And you don't even know what happened with Joe/Tim. How many runs have been made since organized drag racing started, and there have been this few of incidents? A pretty good track record in my book.

X2.....this thread is ridiculous

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back