Vegas Going 4 Wide (1 Viewer)

I went to the spring race this year and thought the crowds were pretty good. I've yet to see a four wide in person and I think it sucks on TV. I can't see me liking it when it shortens the show up.

In a way you see more because if your driver is second in his/her heat, they come back. In traditional, one lose and they're gone for the day.

4 cars, 2 winners, no matter how you divvy it up.

And it does take the pedal fest out of the equation that we all seem to like so much because it brings the driver's skills back into the deal. Yes, I know, the time all four cars go up in smoke will be a thrilling sight. I guess it's how you view the whole thing.

I personally like the traditional two cars, as it's easier to shift focus from one to the other, especially at these speeds and e.t.'s. I've always saw it as missing out on the other two cars completely during a 4x race. The gain in spectacle, doesn't seem to offset the loss in actual racing I get to actually experience.

It's all opinions. You like it, I don't. Neither is wrong. But there will be a loser and a winner. I hope I win.

looks like bruton wants 4 races per year, a 4 and 2 wide at each location; 4wide pre-countdown, 2wide during countdown.
i can see where 4-wide mite sell in vegas.......personally if i was there i'd probably check it out but would not travel to see.

The only issue I see is the spring Vegas and Charlotte races are very close together. Would they really run 4 wide twice in a 3 or 4 week span?

The only issue I see is the spring Vegas and Charlotte races are very close together. Would they really run 4 wide twice in a 3 or 4 week span?
mite be rite chris.....great, we'll have a 4-wide @ vegas II with advertising saying 'our champions will have to navigate 2 styles of
racing in order to win it all' :rolleyes::eek:

My guess Chris, and it's only a guess, is they would keep the spring Charlotte race a 4X, and make the fall Vegas2 race 4X to space them out.
That way they have one 4X pre cd, and one 4X during the cd.

Another race I will no longer attend nor watch on TV. I enjoyed the fall Vegas race because I could do the SEMA show and the Hot Rod Reunion. Not sure how that wll work out but the Vegas race will NOT be part of the trip. Been to the 4 wide, didn't like it in the 60s and still can't stand it in person or on TV. I guess I'm about done with today's drag racing.

Okay, the cars are real loud and shake the ground. When there's 4 of them, it's even louder. The throttle whacks are real cool too, although most teams don't do that anymore. Once the sensory fascination is over, it comes down to actual racing and I still say it's meant to be one on one. If you want to go 4-wide for show, that's fine, but not in competition. It's like putting 4 boxers in a ring, swinging away and whichever 2 boxers are still standing, go on to the next round. Lunacy right? Well, that's how I feel about 4-wide drag racing. Just my opinion and I'm sticking to it. :D

I have always said 4 wide wouldn't be so bad if both classes had 22-25 cars! 16-18 cars means 4 laps per Qual. session, not wrath the $$$ in my opinion!

Another race I will no longer attend nor watch on TV. I enjoyed the fall Vegas race because I could do the SEMA show and the Hot Rod Reunion. Not sure how that wll work out but the Vegas race will NOT be part of the trip. Been to the 4 wide, didn't like it in the 60s and still can't stand it in person or on TV. I guess I'm about done with today's drag racing.

I would be very shocked if NHRA threw a 4 wide race in during the Countdown...

In my humble opinion Burton Smith is making a big mistake going 4 wide.

Jimbo
What I am seeing here is that up until this "highly speculative" thread started, the Mater looked at Bruton Smith as the savior of NHRA and the guy that gets what it takes to grow the sport. Now it sounds like the group here would turn their collective backs on Bruton based on 4 wide. Which is it gang ... is he a genius or not?

Very fickle (and easily swayed) group here.

What I am seeing here is that up until this "highly speculative" thread started, the Mater looked at Bruton Smith as the savior of NHRA and the guy that gets what it takes to grow the sport. Now it sounds like the group here would turn their collective backs on Bruton based on 4 wide. Which is it gang ... is he a genius or not? Very fickle (and easily swayed) group here.

The question is, would it actually grow the sport? Judging by the responses here at best 50% are in favor, meaning at least 50% are not. That makes it a wash, so no growth happens. Most who like 4-wide say the sensory overload is great, and I don't doubt that, but the TV version lacks the sensory part of racing and is a train wreck to watch and make sense of for casual fans. I'm a diehard, yet after the first time I've never watched again... it was that bad.

It's sad... Bruton has enough dollars to be the savior of the sport, but instead he wants to make it into some perverse version (in many/most people's mind) of drag racing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back