Vegas Going 4 Wide (1 Viewer)

Like an old two lane, long flat one where you might see somebody going by side by side? Or the one where you're sitting tied to a milk crate, holding on to the roll bars while the driver is checking to see if he is going to make the 200mph club this year with a cop friend & a radar gun at the other end helping him out? Not that I know of anywhere that might happen... ;)

G- The mail box was the spot where 'They' watched the "the UFOs" fly, like the one build off of the 'teck' from the "Roswell Crash"... (Have Blue/F-117)It's about fifty/seventy miles north/northwest of L/V

d'kid

Last edited:
No good for nitro racing, but whatever, if it happens it happens. Now, it might be great for the .90 super classes. It sure would change the game a ton if you can't see 2 of your opponents.

Karl is the man! You ain't too bad either Ray ;) Hope you're well brother.
In the process of moving... Plumbing issues... moving into a new unit a couple of streets over from here... packing up almost 20 years of mags/books... and let's not even talk about Kat's 'jungle'... can you say 'house plant'?

d'kid

Having 2 races at the same venue has usually ended up being reduced to 1 race. I think you need something to differentiate the 2 weekends. Bruton doesn't make more money by dropping the second race. If he can generate excitement and sales by going 4 wide on one of the races, more power to him. Last time I checked, this was still the land of opportunity .........

People, people, not to worry...the sky is not falling...the world will not end as a result of 4-wide racing. 4- wide is not new, we had it back
in the day. And YES, at the risk of sounding OLD, I even raced 4-wide. I did NOT grow a tail, my kids were NOT born with 3 heads,
and drag racing DID survive.

I would ask that you try it before you judge it. There are 2 races at these tracks. If you really can't stand watching 4-wide, then you can go
to the 2-wide race. Or you could always go to both.......... and just close one eye. :D:p:D

I think we have tried it.

Exhibition runs or one offs aren't a trend like he's trying to create.
Enjoy the four wide all you want. It's just not for some, perhaps even most.
It's his track, yes, he can do what he wants.

Just remember this when there's 11 cars frequenting the 8 four wide tracks in the future.

Blinds don't shut? Tape the refrigerator closed. It makes perfect sense to me.

I think many maters are forgetting one main item: DRIVER SAFETY. I would rather watch 16 timed single passes than four 4 car races of any class. If Bruton Smith wants to risk lifes for showmanship, strap himself to the front of a jet car and swizzle ZMAX while it does afterburner pops. ( Oh, I guess that kinda already has been done)

I wonder how the racers feel about racing 4 wide at the second to last race for the championship. As for me, too much happening to take it all in. I can follow 2 cars but not 4.

At this point Smith is moving into the realm of Vince McMahon who tried to save football with the XFL and all the rule changes because he was a visionary and thinking far ahead. Nope it fell flat.

I read this list of observations about Vince McMahon the other day, I don't think drag racing can take all its cues from the WWE but there's certainly a few areas here we could apply - http://whatculture.com/wwe/10-lessons-can-learn-vince-mcmahon-become-billionaire.php
It does mention his XFL experiment for one, around points 5 and 3.
Drag racing fans are really bad at letting people fail. If it turns out to be a dud investment on Mr Smith's part, then he will likely not do it again. But let's say the LV spring race goes from half empty stands to a full house, then he's a genius.

I get it. I really do. It's been addressed in these postings. No one, and I mean no one, is saying don't make the track better, or don't make it more pleasant for the fans to watch and do other things fans need to do. By all means make it more racer friendly. Yes YES.

But honestly, do you really define the addition of two more lanes on the track as innovation? It's been done. The reviews are at best, mixed. Do you honestly think two more lanes will make people who shrug their shoulders at two lanes, suddenly change their mind, and think drag racing is the best motor sport? Will it make them dig into their pockets to go to more than one race once the gimmicky part of their brain is satisfied?

What's next? Queen of lane #1 versus Queen's #2, #3 and #4 in Top Eliminator Float? Visions of parade floats with their tasseled ground skirts blown flat from the 90mph speed, the bikinied Queens gripping the shifter placed out front, their cheeks flapping in the wind amongst other parts, heroically hanging on as they pass through the lights. Yup. probably a lot of people want to see that. Heck, I want to see that once. But then the gimmick is over.

I honestly think what should be looked at besides better payouts for racers starting at qualifying, is racer and fan comfort. With the non-existent climate change occurring around us, is it time for covered pits and track that also shades the stands? I know it would be a lot more comfortable. DIA-type fabric tenting would fit the bill. It's not cheap, so I sure don't expect it anytime soon, but that would be innovation without changing the sport.

We all want drag racing to survive, to continue on, but what are you personally ready to accept as change? When does it stop being better, and simply become different?

Really good post and I guess the answer to the bottom questions is who knows? I'm happy to let a rich track owner try something in the meantime. Perhaps it will work in Vegas, with all its over-the-topness, perhaps crowds will stay the same. I do like that he is doing something, even if it is something not everyone agrees with, to differentiate his show.
If NHRA were to say "no more four wide" tomorrow, I wouldn't mourn its passing. Could take it or leave it.
But I do like what it represents - a bastion of insanity and craziness in a series where one race can easily look like the next. Perhaps a few more crazy ideas down the track, one idea will be the game changer.

I raced my Thunderbolt at LVMS for ten years. When I started we'd have at least 80 cars in Pro, not to mention all the other classes. At the last bracket race there were 60 entries TOTAL! That's pro, super pro, sportsman and motorcycle and the Corvette club! As far as I'm concerned that is a great facility, track maintenance has always been perfect but something sure is wrong in management! Sure, it gets too hot in the summer to race during the day but there is many months when other tracks can't run and we can. True, the track was designed for 4 lanes, that's obvious. But Why? It's hard enough to keep up with two cars let alone four, at least that's my opinion after seeing Charlotte.

Risk lives...?? How is 4 wide any more risky than 2 wide??
Well, how 'bout if the center barrier is removed? :)

Raced many an event at the old Green Valley Raceway north of Ft. Worth, Texas in my stocker....and watched many a nitro FC line up 4-wide and get it on. They weren't running 320 (maybe 200) but it was a riot. I don't recall anyone getting into trouble because of it, either.

I raced my Thunderbolt at LVMS for ten years. When I started we'd have at least 80 cars in Pro, not to mention all the other classes. At the last bracket race there were 60 entries TOTAL! That's pro, super pro, sportsman and motorcycle and the Corvette club! As far as I'm concerned that is a great facility, track maintenance has always been perfect but something sure is wrong in management! Sure, it gets too hot in the summer to race during the day but there is many months when other tracks can't run and we can. True, the track was designed for 4 lanes, that's obvious. But Why? It's hard enough to keep up with two cars let alone four, at least that's my opinion after seeing Charlotte.

Cause the management does not care if you show up or not........so alot of racers dont show up...

Cause the management does not care if you show up or not........so alot of racers dont show up...

Ding, ding, ding,... we have a winner.

just out of curiosity, why did the manager of The Strip (Chris Martin I believe his name was) leave this past winter. Anyone know?

just out of curiosity, why did the manager of The Strip (Chris Martin I believe his name was) leave this past winter. Anyone know?

Chris Blair (not Chris Martin) left LVMS almost two years ago, now runs Gateway in St Louis, nothing really sinister to report. I talk with him often and he still has all of his finger and toes and was not harmed when he left LVMS.

As someone who has worked events at LVMS besides drag racing (AutoX and Drifting), the competitors in those events have the same complaint: "LVMS does not care if we show up or not". That means the issue is one of two things: one, there really is a management disconnect at LVMS or two, racers in all series just like to complain.

BTW, the manager of the Strip at LVMS is a 'Mater who used to post here semi-frequently, Jeff Foster.

As someone who has worked events at LVMS besides drag racing (AutoX and Drifting), the competitors in those events have the same complaint: "LVMS does not care if we show up or not". That means the issue is one of two things: one, there really is a management disconnect at LVMS or two, racers in all series just like to complain.

BTW, the manager of the Strip at LVMS is a 'Mater who used to post here semi-frequently, Jeff Foster.

I went to LVMS last year for some Saturday night T&T's only to make two laps down the track due to the full pits. Many of my buds have said the same thing. Do you think the four lanes is to accommodate the over crowded pits on Saturday nights? From a personal standpoint, I don't care for the 4 wide nitro races.

I went to LVMS last year for some Saturday night T&T's only to make two laps down the track due to the full pits. Many of my buds have said the same thing. Do you think the four lanes is to accommodate the over crowded pits on Saturday nights? From a personal standpoint, I don't care for the 4 wide nitro races.

Hmmmm ... I doubt it. I would be curious to know what they do at ZMax on their regular bracket program or TnT days. But generally speaking, 2 extra lanes would require twice the staff, twice the fire and safety, etc. so I don't think they would do it for a TnT.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back