Vegas Going 4 Wide (1 Viewer)

But I do think something that radically different and (excuse the term) circus-like might really sell in a market like Las Vegas....

Terry, I will have to disagree with you. Vegas locals (myself included) SUCK when it comes to supporting anything. The NASCAR race is 80% at least people travelling in, same for the NHRA races. No paying spectators show up for either of our regional races and we lost our Heritage Series nostalgia race because no one showed up. We got a AAA baseball team that is leading the Pacific Coast League by 9 1/2 games, and they can't draw 1500 fans a game. Same for UNLV football and basketball (UNLV basketball used to draw 3 times the fans 30 years ago when Vegas had 33% the population it does now). We rely on tourists for EVERYTHING ... including if we go to 4 wide. You guys, the racing fans from elsewhere, will be the referendum on whether or not 4 wide will succeed in Vegas, because if you rely on the locals you are screwed.

Point well taken, Chris....I definitely see what you mean. Seems we never spend much time going to local events or attractions, but will travel miles to see another attraction. My aunt lived her whole life on Long Island in NY and never ever visited the Statue of Liberty.

Vegas locals (myself included) SUCK when it comes to supporting anything. The NASCAR race is 80% at least people travelling in, same for the NHRA races. No paying spectators show up for either of our regional races and we lost our Heritage Series nostalgia race because no one showed up. We got a AAA baseball team that is leading the Pacific Coast League by 9 1/2 games, and they can't draw 1500 fans a game. Same for UNLV football and basketball (UNLV basketball used to draw 3 times the fans 30 years ago when Vegas had 33% the population it does now). We rely on tourists for EVERYTHING ... including if we go to 4 wide. You guys, the racing fans from elsewhere, will be the referendum on whether or not 4 wide will succeed in Vegas, because if you rely on the locals you are screwed.

Interesting. Although it's off topic, maybe I should forward this to NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman who has recently suggested Las Vegas was among potential expansion cities.

Interesting. Although it's off topic, maybe I should forward this to NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman who has recently suggested Las Vegas was among potential expansion cities.

There is a whole lotta money behind the Vegas NHL expansion project (including Michael Bay) and MGM is building a new arena with significant input from the NHL.

Terry, I will have to disagree with you. Vegas locals (myself included) SUCK when it comes to supporting anything. We rely on tourists for EVERYTHING ... . You guys, the racing fans from elsewhere, will be the referendum on whether or not 4 wide will succeed in Vegas, because if you rely on the locals you are screwed.

If that's the case, count me out. I have no interest in going to Vegas2 if it's made 4-wide. I'll go elsewhere.

tape delayed evening broadcast. don't think the race was competing against any other major sport on tv? wonder what rating was last nite?

what i thought mite happen. a dismal .18, just ahead of women's volleyball on espn. ........ how did that go? 4wide is a fan favorite?
good thing a few fields were short so we could get a taste of both 3 and 4 wide. the illusory truth effect going on here.
lets all tell nhra and bruton we prefer 3 lanes to 4, plow under 1 lane, then fields could be reduced to 12.
atlanta going away, and maybe pomona......only 14 tracks will have to add 3rd lane, and one is sonoma, which is bruton's; he was probably
going to build extra lanes there anyways to draw the big crowds :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ehh, I can handle a 4-wide race twice a year. I have been going to all of Brutons tracks for many years and I'm definitely not going to let that deter me from supporting a track owner that has invested millions of dollars in drag racing and has gave us some of the nicest facilities to race at or to watch a race at.

Last edited:
nobody doubts the quality of bruton's tracks. what the question is; after however many years of the 4wides, do 4 wide races help or hurt
the camping world nhra drag racing series?.......the racers, the series sponsor, the sanctioning body, the sponsors, the fans, the viewers.
seems like everyone of them have a few disastrous starts, even though the tv voices reassure us how professional all the drivers are.
can't imagine anyone is bragging about a .18 when there is a history of tape delayed evening races with much better results.

Saw 4-wide for first time at Vegas this year, saw it and do not need to go back for 4-wide. Awesome sensory experience on the starting line but just not a fan of the racing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back