The kid did GOOD.... (1 Viewer)

What is with the orange flag? Is that a requirement?

Because the juniors are so low, and have to be towed thru the pits, a flag is a requirement so that any big car drivers can see us. Once in the lanes, we pull it and use it on the golf cart.

Last edited:
Last testing session of the year saturday... New pipe was stellar and kiddo was stoked

2012-12-22135633_zps80debc52.jpg

(Ran it without the wings- I relaid the glass to stiffen them up a bit)

Kiddo's 6'1" now- he's been told to stop growing until he ages out!!!

:D

Last edited:
SIR TnT yesterday... some minor issues, but it was good for the crew to start gelling... Next weekend is the last TnT before the season opening NHRA Divisionals in Phoenix (Speedworld) at the beginning of February

SecondTnTJan195_zps1dc215d3.jpg

Just off the trailer...

SecondTnTJan191_zps3f4a1241.jpg

Nice Day for shorts... In January...

SecondTnTJan196_zps88dc3371.jpg

Hats and Hoodies...

SecondTnTJan194_zps036b7e09.jpg

Back In Black

Last edited:
Martin, got a question for ya.

If you could build an all-out "Top Fuel" version of one of these things, what kind of times and speeds do you thinkyou could turn?

Just wonderin'.

Slick looking ride, by the way. He grows any more, he's not gonna fit, is he?

Martin, got a question for ya.

If you could build an all-out "Top Fuel" version of one of these things, what kind of times and speeds do you thinkyou could turn?

Just wonderin'.

Slick looking ride, by the way. He grows any more, he's not gonna fit, is he?

Because of insurance reasons, the sanctioning bodies have put a performance ceiling on the fastest of the class for the 660 at 7.90/ 85mph... BUT, the guys that do build the Alky-only Top Fuel versions of these cars are running 330 Outlaw at a lot of the tracks legally, and they are in the VERY low 4s at 330 feet...

Outlaw 330 Jr. Dragster driven by Sami Deems - YouTube

WWC 330 Outlaw Jr. Dragster goes 4.268! - YouTube

I don't know anyone that has worked a car to actually run nitro (the expense would be outrageous to build a car you could never run). 4"+ bore, massive compression, fuel pump that runs off the cam (they are vaccum diaphram pumps now) and something like an MSD 6 to light it...
Naw- $25K+ to run 330 feet... That would be nuts.

Currently, a good 7.90 car will smoke a C-6 Vette... Good enough for me :D

(Car was built for him with adjustment to 6'4"... He can get taller, but he's not allowed to eat!!! LOL! :D)

Last edited:
Kiddo is now licencened for both NHRA (the easy, but expensive one) and IHRA (the inexpensive one with the driving test)... First real full pulls were promising- the car was battling a fueling issue all day Saturday, but with assistance from the illustrious Mr. Reinhart, the issue may be solved in time for next weekends first Team SIR race.

Photos by Jim Kelso Photography

003B_zps8bf0f542.jpg

004B_zps7bb64027.jpg

Last edited:
WooHoo!!

WINNER WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER!!!!

Congrats to all the winners at this weekend's Junior Shootout at Southwestern International Raceway in Tucson, Arizona and especially 13-17 Winners Gabe Brown (Saturday's $500-to-Win Cash Race) and my son Emmett Thomas (Sunday's $500- to-Win Cash Race)... Great job boys!!

So- the gameplan is:

Next year will be Emmett's last year in the Junior categories, as he will become 18 next August (rules state that he will be able to finish the season even after the birthday). And I have been itchin to get back in the seat.

On the drawing board is a concept- full Hanna body FE slingshot, powered by twin, inline 4 cylinder powerplants, on turbos and squeeze. 7 seconds is the target. I'll share the wheel with kiddo if he hasn't already got something in the pipe (he's already my height, but I have 80 pounds on him- makes for an interesting cockpit. Custom ISP seats for two, anyone?)

Looking for suggestions on powerplants- looking for something that is currently in use in other forms of racing (I hear Ford is the way to go, but Dodge and Honda have some strong options). If we start now, we will have a good time on a slow, comfortable build while still having a good time racing the junior in the last season.

More info as it comes available.

Honda VTECs, should be a lot of data and parts out there. Would be very interesting to see. :D

S/F
D

Honda VTECs, should be a lot of data and parts out there. Would be very interesting to see. :D

S/F
D

Looking into the Hyundai motorsports technology, after seeing their performance at Pikes Peak this year... Their turbo 4 equipment is flat out amazing...

Just wait until they've been away from home for 3-4 years and you (the father) are freaking out about what route he is taking to drive home, because you had a flashback to the 16 yo... Seriously, it's scary how fast time goes when you stop to look at what has passed.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back