The kid did GOOD.... (1 Viewer)

I played basketball and baseball all the way through high school ... but my Mom's rule was all A's and B's or I don't play. When I turned 16 and wanted to drive I had to get a job to pay for my own insurance. So I had school, a job, a car, basketball and baseball and if I wanted all of that, it HAD to be all A's and B's. And I did it.

I guess what I am trying to say is, no matter what rules you set, no matter how hard you push, it ultimately boils down to what your kid wants. If he wants to put in the effort, he will. If he doesn't, he won't. You just need to be strong and consistent in your application of the rules and punishments you set forth. Kids are clever ... they can smell weakness and exploit it.

Oh yeah ... did I mention I don't have any kids? :D

That was my parents rule as well, if you want to travel with the race team and race, I had to have a 3.5 GPA or better. My high GPA also provided ammunition for me when they tried to suspend me for high absenses.

My dad also has that rule for his high school age employees, if their grades are below a 2.5, they can't work for him.

Emmett lurks here and I'm sure the past couple of comments are going to make him realize how lucky he has it... Thanks ya'll...:)

I am a parent and although my kids didn't race they played football, wrestled and lacrosse. They knew going in that if the grades dropped they were not going to practice nor play. Fortunately, I didn't have a problem at all.

You know whether or not they are putting forth the effort. I found that with my kids their grades dipped between the time one sport ended and the other began...go figure! :confused:

No waffling either - parents were united on the issue.

Emmett - if you're reading this...dude, you got a good thing going there and a bright future ahead of you. Good Luck!! :D now buckle down on those studies :)

Ghio's gonna kill me, but.... No Divisional this weekend. I do think that this will have an impact on how he approaches his responsibilities...

But, darn it, it would have been a ton of fun for both of us, especially since I want to try out this new tuneup... Thanks everyone for your input and support. :)

Update: School Progress Reports came out today- Young Mr. Thomas is back in good graces after pulling all his grades up, so I've renewed his licence and we'll be making the Santa Bash at S.I.R. on the 14th as out last race before the body goes in for bead blasting and new paint for next season (I get to see how much I remember about laying down smooth paint!)

Thanks everyone that told me to hold my ground- it paid off :)

How about this turn-around folks :)

Friday Emmett hands me one of those bumper stickers we all love to sneer at...

HonorRoll.jpg

Holy cow!! How that for proof that this whole Jr. Drag racing series thing works?!!!

SUPER PROUD Dad here :D, then last weekend at Super Chevy, he was totally in the zone with some great lights (and one really ugly one!!) and on-the-money passes (every one was within 2 huns...).. Redlit by 0.003 after a starting line shutoff delay, but we all had a fantastic weekend!!!

Divisional is in Tucson in 10 days- looking forward to smackin around some of the big Cali teams at our home track... Film at 11!!

Just an update:

The aformentioned Divisional (Tucson in April)- we won.

Emmett finished 9th in Team SIR points this year (we were shooting for a Top 10 finish, so we were right on target..)

A video from the Las Vegas Divisional (broke out in Round 2 by less than 2 huns...)

LAS VEGAS

Last D7 race is in Phoenix in mid-October... Emmett is currently in 14th place in Group 2, and when the division points correct (D7 counts 5 of 8 races), he should also be in the Top 10 with a good showing.

Grades are A's and B's throughout, and there are a few things in the works for 2010... We've had a ton of fun this year, and did it on a budget... A few more nickles in the bank won't hurt :D, so Dad's gotta get back to work!!

Last edited:
OK... I've thrown this around in the Jr. pages and so far the answer has eluded us, so I'm tossing this over to the braintrust here...

Kiddo's car is running great- consistant as all get-out, and right were we need to be to finish the season. We're high 8.80's- low 8.90's on the 8.90 index.

Problem is, our launch to 60' RPM is off the charts. Car is hookin up, and running the number, but the thing zings to almost 9000RPM before clutch finally grabs and pulls the motor back to reasonable revs... It's working WAY too hard, first with the zinger, then pulling back up from the hole before it levels off att the top end.

Here's the charts on the last night's passes:

sept26_run1.jpg

sept26_run2.jpg

sept26_run3.jpg

sept26_run4.jpg

I kicked up the weight in the clutch from 35.6g per arm to 36.7g per (total including roller and bolt), which is a fairly good bump up, but the change was minimal- maybe a drop of 100RPM from one to another, and the bump comes at the same place. Launch RPM is a consistant 4100, and the tires aren't slipping- SIR was prepped last night for a couple of nitro cars (nostalgia- low 6.0's), so traction wasn't a problem- good starting line.

Keep going with the arm weight? Am I missing something else? The car is deadly consistant, but I'm trying to avoid causing some major havoc internally... Any suggestions?

Last edited:
PhoenixDiv2009006.jpg

PhoenixDiv2009009.jpg

PhoenixDiv2009004.jpg

Kiddo getting paid!! Best Reaction Time for Saturday's Quick 32 Competition during the Division 7 race at Firebird...

we got stories.....:eek:

You got stories???? We need to HEAR stories!!!:D:D

102F on Saturday afternoon....

The list of attrition (aka The Cost of Going Rounds):

Generator (voltage relay died)
Right Front Inner Tube (valve stem sheared off at the turnoff)
Micron Data Recorder (failed on Saturday afternoon- never came back)
Tow Vehicle (electric starter died)
Header (broke weld at first expansion and flew off at 500')
Driven Clutch (bolt sheared on helix)

And then the topper- Dad having a brain fart that may have cost us a round :rolleyes:
Kid says "Put .95 on it" for Round 3. Data Log tells Dad put .92 on it. dad and kid go around about it in the lanes after a 30 minute, run-to-run turnaround. Dad never puts the last digit on the dial-in- tower sees "8.9". I saw it just as he hit the first beam.

Kid goes 8.956

MOV for the other car- 0.0326

:eek:

Kid says "Put .95 on it" for Round 3. Data Log tells Dad put .92 on it. dad and kid go around about it in the lanes after a 30 minute, run-to-run turnaround. Dad never puts the last digit on the dial-in- tower sees "8.9". I saw it just as he hit the first beam.

Kid goes 8.956

MOV for the other car- 0.0326

:eek:

OUCH!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

It seems like you guys are learning SO much though! Very cool to see.

D7 final points came up tonight....

I did the math, and I don't wish to discuss the effect of the Dad error on the season-ending points....:eek:

Let's just say, I am looking for my sword to fall upon

Emmett closes the season a strong 13th for his first full season on the chase, out of 71 competitors in Group 2 :)

New pipe for next year, motor and clutch out for freshening after I take a ton of measurements to try and replicate the way things lined up on the back end of the car.

Special thanks to Chris McGee at McGee Cams, Dean Lenarth at Western Racing Components for building a great car that kept kiddo safe for all these years, Alan Reinhart (Wild West Engineering), Jeff Ault (JAE/ Arizona Billet), Scott Plummer (TLS/ Performance Systems), James Barth at Cheetah Supply for the last-minute saves, Dennis and Justin at Taylor Motorsports, Motivational Tubing, Hoosier Tires, Dave Cooney at KOLD-13 News and our crew Jeffery Eggersdorf, Steve Emery, little brother Avery (for letting us beat the hell out his quad this year!!) and especially to a fearless, confident and extremely talented driver, Emmett Thomas.

Time to breath for a minute...;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back