Short fields (2 Viewers)

Let's say that you split the shows as you outlined, Top Fuel only one weekend, Funny Car on another weekend and PS/PM on another. With something to fill in. Would you rotate those as well?
No, I wouldn’t rotate the Sportsman classes differently than the nitro/Pro Stock/Pro Mod shows they are paired with. The whole program would need consistency to avoid confusion for everybody.

An important factor to consider is how many classes are contested at the various NHRA national event tracks now. I did some surprising research and found there are only 2 races (Indy & Norwalk) that have 17 classes competing. Dallas has 16, Denver 15, Bruton Smith’s Vegas-2 & both of his Z Max races have 14, Atlanta, Topeka, Reading and Pomona-2 each have/had 13, Sonoma & Brainerd had 12, St. Louis has 11 while Bristol, Epping and Houston all only had or will have 9 classes competing this year. I also went back to 2019 and found that the Winternationals (cancelled this year) only had 13 classes compete that year. I assume the fairgrounds won’t hold more cars or classes and that means that race cannot ever increase its car entry money stream without just increasing the fee. Going to three races would allow the Pomona races to increase that revenue stream. (Assuming Pomona’s Fairgrounds would even allow 3 to 6 events.)

There are other tracks that would most likely love to have one or more of the three races should a current track only want one or two. Thinking of Tulsa, S. Georgia, Bradenton and Orlando for four quick ones.

With its longer race week and the drag racing history of Indy, I would leave the Labor Day Week at Indy alone and maybe add an additional Top Fuel and Funny Car Race of the new type events to their schedule since the Pro teams are mostly housed there and NHRA owns the facility.

The decision on what classes would be contested at each of the three races would require some serious vetting and since I obviously don’t have access to NHRA’s data, a best guess is all I can give. NHRA staff would need to know things like the number of active sportsman racecars per class, their history of attendance, entry fees and payouts for each class along with many other track related details such as pit parking and the track prep required to make a quality decision. So just for kicks, I’ll just wing it. But…no matter who would do the dividing of the classes over 3 different programs, there will always be detractors no matter how the classes are split up. (It wouldn’t be drag racing if somebody didn’t complain about the program even if Wally Parks were to come back to lay it out.)

With that disclaimer, my first guess in dividing the classes up for 3 great shows might work something like this:
Top Fuel plus TAD, Top Dragster, Top Fuel Harley, Pro Stock Bike plus the return of AA/FA and addition of Jr. Dragsters. (7 Classes)
Funny Car plus TAFC, Top Sportsman, Comp, Super Comp, Super Gas and… Super Street. (7 Classes)
Pro Mod, Pro Stock plus Factory Stock Showdown, Super Stock, Stock and… MM/PS plus introduce the fastest of the now popular small tire classes. (7 Classes)

That just added AA/FA, Jr. Dragsters, Super Street, a small tire class and MM/PS as additional classes and income streams and did it without making the day as long as any current race. Remember, this breakdown has each of the 3 separate races contesting 7 classes where the NHRA National Event tracks with the smallest number of classes contested, currently have 9 classes contested. Those 3 tracks would have slightly shorter shows while the other tracks would have either significantly more time available for those that want to cruise the pits and see as much action on the track as possible or see the full show and head home before becoming exhausted. At the same time NHRA and the various track owners would have 3 weekends to present them per racing season rather than just their 1 big weekend gamble.

Currently Norwalk contests 17 classes at their Summit Racing Equipment Nationals and by moving it to 3 weekends that contest just 7 classes each, they would be producing a program much like their highly successful Night of Fire which concludes in one day to huge crowds while also picking up entry fees for four more classes. Spreading their gamble out would dilute the damage that a rainout would have as it typically doesn’t happen to any track 3 times in one racing season. (Yes, for the 2 or 3 people still alive to remember, I had that happen to 3 in a row of my expensive media promoted races in 1979 …and I’m still pi$$ed about it.)

It takes an hour minimum to turn a TF car. Do you really think that fans would rather fill that time with Funny Car, Pro Stock, Pro Mod or something slower?

Yes, I do think the fans would enjoy the other classes in this format while it would also allow more places for sponsors to buy ad space at a slightly cheaper rate… for a while. As demand grows so can the sales price. (Positive income streams with happy customers are a great thing.)

Here are the details of my suggestions for having three race programs:
At the proposed Camping World Top Fuel Series presented by Amazon, spectators would see Top Fuel, TAD, Top Dragster, Top Fuel Harley, Pro Stock Bike and the return of AA/FA and the addition of Jr. Dragsters or 7 Classes total. The only class here that the hardcore fan might want to check out the pits during is the Jr. Dragsters. For the new spectators, all the classes would be fun to watch… or they could check out the pits between the T/F cars passes to collect autographs and see the new and unique Manufacturers Midway plus buy concessions and using the restrooms in time to grab their seat for the next round. This sounds like a fun weekend to me. Since there would (or could) be 3 separate events at each track, it would allow for a slight reduction in vendor costs which should bring in more vendor booths as currently many tracks don’t have room to add anyone new.

At the proposed Camping World Funny Car Nationals presented by Levi Jeans, spectators would see Funny Car, TAFC, Top Sportsman, Comp, Super Comp, Super Gas and… Super Street. (7 Classes) Folks that don’t “get” or don’t like index type racing would have the greatest pit party to attend as there would be floppers everywhere with their “rock star” drivers to talk to, get autographs from and photos with. Possibly the AA/FA guys should move over here too. ??

The Camping World Pro Stock/Pro Mod Nationals by Nike might be the weakest of the three events in my breakdown for the brand new fan. Even still, it would showcase the hardcore fan’s favorite Pro Stocks plus the wild and unpredictable 260 mph Pro Mods while also presenting a class that regular, street driven Mustang, Challenger and Camaro drivers can identify with… The Factory Stock Showdown cars. There’s also Supe Stock, Stock, plus MM/PS and a class of the growing and popular small tire racrs. (7 Classes.) Alan, I would think you would have plenty of things to talk about over the PA at this race too.

You mentioned the need for more NHRA staff and that would be true. However, one thing that hasn’t been broached is the ability of the NHRA crews to specialize further in their area of expertise. Announcers would be able to focus on EVERYTHING about the drivers and crews of just 7 classes rather than 17+ classes. Tech people wouldn’t need to know the details of the two programs that they don’t work. But they could tightly focus on the details of the classes they are responsible for.

I’m sure there are some very logical reasons that it would make sense to move some of my suggested classes around to better fit racer and/or track prep needs. But hopefully any class movement would still be subject to making sure the best fan experience prevails. Spectators must go home happy that they attended and seriously want to come back for more.

What would be your total number of events? If you run three at each track three times, that's a lot of weekends.
I would think smart folks like those at DSR, JFR and CKR would be able to develop and get sponsors for 2 hospitality areas. One for Funny Car and one for T/F.

Yes, there also would be more weekends to see NHRA drag racing on TV. That’s a good thing and should improve the shows by making everyone involved in producing the show’s job easier to do as people could specialize instead of have to handle so many varied tasks that they might drop the ball on one or more of their many tasks.

The motorsports sponsoring executives you mentioned would either need to pick and choose the races they want to attend or they would get to attend more races per year and spend quality time with each customer. (I would guess that some of them don’t attend every race on the tour now.)

Guys like John Force should be happy to have more products to sell. A 2nd hospitality tent and teams going in various directions means he can make more money because he’s got more events to sell companies. Most likely a company like Flavor-ite or Monster Energy would like being the sole main sponsor of Brit’s T/F hospitality program while Peak and AAA still get signage there on those additional race weekends.

What about Television? Are you going to have three full crews to cover all the races?

Admittedly, my experience promoting drag races was way before TV was anything but Indy on Wide World of Sports. This is the one area that I’m guessing and all of my opinions are very questionable. But there seems to be vastly improving and expanding numbers of TV channels and online outlets available for any event. I would think that NHRA could try to cherry pick the specific programing best suited for each series and especially for their nitro races.

Three different race programs probably would require two or three different delivery methods. The current programing thru Fox has been the best that I can ever remember and yes, I did like Steve Evans on Diamond P. I would think NHRA Online would love to expand to provide specific coverage for more races. There are also outlets like Speed-video and Motor-mania that are improving. Also TV networks like MAV TV and even ESPN (if NHRA were to get really desperate). Still, I would think the NHRA Board of Directors would be open to new revenue streams while increasing NHRA Drag Racing’s visibility.

To go further out on the promoter’s limb, my rookie suggestion would be to put the T/F and Funny Car races on a two hour show with the first and second rounds being openly admitted as being pre-recorded. Why can’t the shows start with semi final action and use the time between 3rd and final round to show what happened in 1st and 2nd round that got the round winners there? It would be interesting to always see interviews of the 1st and 2nd round losers too. That way their sponsors would still get some air time and the viewers wouldn’t always get that canned answer of “I’ve got the best crew here and my “hot rod” is ready. I’m ready for the final, so on the way home, don’t forget to stop and eat a meat stick in your new Camaro insured by AAA.” (Don’t get bent… I am a Force fan.) A 1st or 2nd round loser can’t say that at that time and the fans should get a better idea of what the racers go through both on good days and bad days. Then the semi-finals and finals could be seriously honest broadcasting without everyone who is interviewed on the entire 2 hour show essentially saying the same thing. (You know…”I’ve got the best crew and the baddest hot rod…”) To many times announcers that try very hard to hide from nothing but cookie cutter interviews are reduced to informing us that a certain racer’s family has a house cat.

If all three series were on 2 hour shows, it would double the 3 hour window of exposure both racers and advertisers have the opportunity to get now. The NHRA Ad Executives would have the ability to sign up buyers for their increased product lines. But that shouldn’t be thought of as an additional expense or burden for NHRA. Think of it being like a small car dealership where there’s only been 10 cars to sell a month and now all at once there’s 20. NHRA can increase profits which increases the commissions for their Ad Execs.
And yes, I did say that I might leave a game early if it appears to me that the outcome has been decided before the clock runs out. ---I know this, if I leave a game before the end, it doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy the experience.

I’m not saying all fans are unhappy with NHRA’s show, I just believe there is always a way to make any show or event better. The Bader family’s Norwalk track shouldn’t be the only drag racing enterprise that’s constantly attempting to improve their product. However, I do believe there are many if not most, first time fans to an NHRA National Event, that while they may have enjoyed it, they don’t plan to buy ticket to another one.

In looking at alternative presentations for the NHRA stage, I feel what I’ve stated would be an improvement for many if not most fans while allowing NHRA and their national event track owners to have a larger income stream while hedging potential rainout type loses. I’m just throwing ideas at the wall. Maybe like Bret Kepner with his Pro Mod and Factory Stock Showdown ideas, someday one of these might stick.

Let's say that you split the shows as you outlined, Top Fuel only one weekend, Funny Car on another weekend and PS/PM on another. With something to fill in. Would you rotate those as well?
No, I wouldn’t rotate the Sportsman classes differently than the nitro/Pro Stock/Pro Mod shows they are paired with. The whole program would need consistency to avoid confusion for everybody.

An important factor to consider is how many classes are contested at the various NHRA national event tracks now. I did some surprising research and found there are only 2 races (Indy & Norwalk) that have 17 classes competing. Dallas has 16, Denver 15, Bruton Smith’s Vegas-2 & both of his Z Max races have 14, Atlanta, Topeka, Reading and Pomona-2 each have/had 13, Sonoma & Brainerd had 12, St. Louis has 11 while Bristol, Epping and Houston all only had or will have 9 classes competing this year. I also went back to 2019 and found that the Winternationals (cancelled this year) only had 13 classes compete that year. I assume the fairgrounds won’t hold more cars or classes and that means that race cannot ever increase its car entry money stream without just increasing the fee. Going to three races would allow the Pomona races to increase that revenue stream. (Assuming Pomona’s Fairgrounds would even allow 3 to 6 events.)

There are other tracks that would most likely love to have one or more of the three races should a current track only want one or two. Thinking of Tulsa, S. Georgia, Bradenton and Orlando for four quick ones.

With its longer race week and the drag racing history of Indy, I would leave the Labor Day Week at Indy alone and maybe add an additional Top Fuel and Funny Car Race of the new type events to their schedule since the Pro teams are mostly housed there and NHRA owns the facility.

The decision on what classes would be contested at each of the three races would require some serious vetting and since I obviously don’t have access to NHRA’s data, a best guess is all I can give. NHRA staff would need to know things like the number of active sportsman racecars per class, their history of attendance, entry fees and payouts for each class along with many other track related details such as pit parking and the track prep required to make a quality decision. So just for kicks, I’ll just wing it. But…no matter who would do the dividing of the classes over 3 different programs, there will always be detractors no matter how the classes are split up. (It wouldn’t be drag racing if somebody didn’t complain about the program even if Wally Parks were to come back to lay it out.)

With that disclaimer, my first guess in dividing the classes up for 3 great shows might work something like this:
Top Fuel plus TAD, Top Dragster, Top Fuel Harley, Pro Stock Bike plus the return of AA/FA and addition of Jr. Dragsters. (7 Classes)
Funny Car plus TAFC, Top Sportsman, Comp, Super Comp, Super Gas and… Super Street. (7 Classes)
Pro Mod, Pro Stock plus Factory Stock Showdown, Super Stock, Stock and… MM/PS plus introduce the fastest of the now popular small tire classes. (7 Classes)

That just added AA/FA, Jr. Dragsters, Super Street, a small tire class and MM/PS as additional classes and income streams and did it without making the day as long as any current race. Remember, this breakdown has each of the 3 separate races contesting 7 classes where the NHRA National Event tracks with the smallest number of classes contested, currently have 9 classes contested. Those 3 tracks would have slightly shorter shows while the other tracks would have either significantly more time available for those that want to cruise the pits and see as much action on the track as possible or see the full show and head home before becoming exhausted. At the same time NHRA and the various track owners would have 3 weekends to present them per racing season rather than just their 1 big weekend gamble.

Currently Norwalk contests 17 classes at their Summit Racing Equipment Nationals and by moving it to 3 weekends that contest just 7 classes each, they would be producing a program much like their highly successful Night of Fire which concludes in one day to huge crowds while also picking up entry fees for four more classes. Spreading their gamble out would dilute the damage that a rainout would have as it typically doesn’t happen to any track 3 times in one racing season. (Yes, for the 2 or 3 people still alive to remember, I had that happen to 3 in a row of my expensive media promoted races in 1979 …and I’m still pi$$ed about it.)

It takes an hour minimum to turn a TF car. Do you really think that fans would rather fill that time with Funny Car, Pro Stock, Pro Mod or something slower?
Yes, I do think the fans would enjoy the other classes in this format while it would also allow more places for sponsors to buy ad space at a slightly cheaper rate… for a while. As demand grows so can the sales price. (Positive income streams with happy customers are a great thing.)

Here are the details of my suggestions for having three race programs:
At the proposed Camping World Top Fuel Series presented by Amazon, spectators would see Top Fuel, TAD, Top Dragster, Top Fuel Harley, Pro Stock Bike and the return of AA/FA and the addition of Jr. Dragsters or 7 Classes total. The only class here that the hardcore fan might want to check out the pits during is the Jr. Dragsters. For the new spectators, all the classes would be fun to watch… or they could check out the pits between the T/F cars passes to collect autographs and see the new and unique Manufacturers Midway plus buy concessions and using the restrooms in time to grab their seat for the next round. This sounds like a fun weekend to me. Since there would (or could) be 3 separate events at each track, it would allow for a slight reduction in vendor costs which should bring in more vendor booths as currently many tracks don’t have room to add anyone new.

At the proposed Camping World Funny Car Nationals presented by Levi Jeans, spectators would see Funny Car, TAFC, Top Sportsman, Comp, Super Comp, Super Gas and… Super Street. (7 Classes) Folks that don’t “get” or don’t like index type racing would have the greatest pit party to attend as there would be floppers everywhere with their “rock star” drivers to talk to, get autographs from and photos with. Possibly the AA/FA guys should move over here too. ??

The Camping World Pro Stock/Pro Mod Nationals by Nike might be the weakest of the three events in my breakdown for the brand new fan. Even still, it would showcase the hardcore fan’s favorite Pro Stocks plus the wild and unpredictable 260 mph Pro Mods while also presenting a class that regular, street driven Mustang, Challenger and Camaro drivers can identify with… The Factory Stock Showdown cars. There’s also Supe Stock, Stock, plus MM/PS and a class of the growing and popular small tire racrs. (7 Classes.) Alan, I would think you would have plenty of things to talk about over the PA at this race too.

You mentioned the need for more NHRA staff and that would be true. However, one thing that hasn’t been broached is the ability of the NHRA crews to specialize further in their area of expertise. Announcers would be able to focus on EVERYTHING about the drivers and crews of just 7 classes rather than 17+ classes. Tech people wouldn’t need to know the details of the two programs that they don’t work. But they could tightly focus on the details of the classes they are responsible for.

I’m sure there are some very logical reasons that it would make sense to move some of my suggested classes around to better fit racer and/or track prep needs. But hopefully any class movement would still be subject to making sure the best fan experience prevails. Spectators must go home happy that they attended and seriously want to come back for more.

What would be your total number of events? If you run three at each track three times, that's a lot of weekends.
I would think smart folks like those at DSR, JFR and CKR would be able to develop and get sponsors for 2 hospitality areas. One for Funny Car and one for T/F.

Yes, there also would be more weekends to see NHRA drag racing on TV. That’s a good thing and should improve the shows by making everyone involved in producing the show’s job easier to do as people could specialize instead of have to handle so many varied tasks that they might drop the ball on one or more of their many tasks.

The motorsports sponsoring executives you mentioned would either need to pick and choose the races they want to attend or they would get to attend more races per year and spend quality time with each customer. (I would guess that some of them don’t attend every race on the tour now.)

Guys like John Force should be happy to have more products to sell. A 2nd hospitality tent and teams going in various directions means he can make more money because he’s got more events to sell companies. Most likely a company like Flavor-ite or Monster Energy would like being the sole main sponsor of Brit’s T/F hospitality program while Peak and AAA still get signage there on those additional race weekends.

What about Television? Are you going to have three full crews to cover all the races?

Admittedly, my experience promoting drag races was way before TV was anything but Indy on Wide World of Sports. This is the one area that I’m guessing and all of my opinions are very questionable. But there seems to be vastly improving and expanding numbers of TV channels and online outlets available for any event. I would think that NHRA could try to cherry pick the specific programing best suited for each series and especially for their nitro races.

Three different race programs probably would require two or three different delivery methods. The current programing thru Fox has been the best that I can ever remember and yes, I did like Steve Evans on Diamond P. I would think NHRA Online would love to expand to provide specific coverage for more races. There are also outlets like Speed-video and Motor-mania that are improving. Also TV networks like MAV TV and even ESPN (if NHRA were to get really desperate). Still, I would think the NHRA Board of Directors would be open to new revenue streams while increasing NHRA Drag Racing’s visibility.

To go further out on the promoter’s limb, my rookie suggestion would be to put the T/F and Funny Car races on a two hour show with the first and second rounds being openly admitted as being pre-recorded. Why can’t the shows start with semi final action and use the time between 3rd and final round to show what happened in 1st and 2nd round that got the round winners there? It would be interesting to always see interviews of the 1st and 2nd round losers too. That way their sponsors would still get some air time and the viewers wouldn’t always get that canned answer of “I’ve got the best crew here and my “hot rod” is ready. I’m ready for the final, so on the way home, don’t forget to stop and eat a meat stick in your new Camaro insured by AAA.” (Don’t get bent… I am a Force fan.) A 1st or 2nd round loser can’t say that at that time and the fans should get a better idea of what the racers go through both on good days and bad days. Then the semi-finals and finals could be seriously honest broadcasting without everyone who is interviewed on the entire 2 hour show essentially saying the same thing. (You know…”I’ve got the best crew and the baddest hot rod…”) To many times announcers that try very hard to hide from nothing but cookie cutter interviews are reduced to informing us that a certain racer’s family has a house cat.

If all three series were on 2 hour shows, it would double the 3 hour window of exposure both racers and advertisers have the opportunity to get now. The NHRA Ad Executives would have the ability to sign up buyers for their increased product lines. But that shouldn’t be thought of as an additional expense or burden for NHRA. Think of it being like a small car dealership where there’s only been 10 cars to sell a month and now all at once there’s 20. NHRA can increase profits which increases the commissions for their Ad Execs.
And yes, I did say that I might leave a game early if it appears to me that the outcome has been decided before the clock runs out. ---I know this, if I leave a game before the end, it doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy the experience.

I’m not saying all fans are unhappy with NHRA’s show, I just believe there is always a way to make any show or event better. The Bader family’s Norwalk track shouldn’t be the only drag racing enterprise that’s constantly attempting to improve their product. However, I do believe there are many if not most, first time fans to an NHRA National Event, that while they may have enjoyed it, they don’t plan to buy ticket to another one.

In looking at alternative presentations for the NHRA stage, I feel what I’ve stated would be an improvement for many if not most fans while allowing NHRA and their national event track owners to have a larger income stream while hedging potential rainout type loses. I’m just throwing ideas at the wall. Maybe like Bret Kepner with his Pro Mod and Factory Stock Showdown ideas, someday one of these might stick.

You deserve credit if only for the time and effort put into this. Lots of interesting thoughts. My opinion has long been they need to split classes up in a way to give some classes a bigger stage. It’s like the opening act upstaging the headliner at a concert. How can anything follow top fuel and funny car?

Very interesting and in depth discussion. Now crossing into my seventh decade and 60 years of with some limited competing, lt occurs to me that there are different classes of people who go to the races. Us old gear heads are certainly declining but we try to bring our kids and grandkids. Personal experience is that they really love the day at the races but don’t go back in the future without us. They have lots of stuff to do. I’m sure you’ve all heard Alan’s thank you speech at each race, noting that consumers have a lot of ways to spend their time and money. It grows more true all the time. People have access to a lot more entertainment that 30 or 50 years ago. The number of people frequenting speed shops and building street machines is very small.

As an old gear head, I love seeing the aa/gs, old super stocks, fuel altereds etc. in addition to top fuel and funny car. No variety in pro stock so I only watch Erica’s runs as a fan who recognizes her extraordinary skill.
I hope the sport can come back but there are a lot of issues in the way (racer cost, competition etc).

Why not add Nostalgia to the mix? The Heritage series is a great show by itself. Maybe add nostalgia AA/FD to the dragster show & AA/FC to the funny car show. We used to have the heritage series run at the old Speedworld in Phoenix & then it swtiched to Wild Horse. This wasn't AA/FD & AA/FC, so the headliner was A/FD. That was such a great show. Anyhoo, maybe add nostalgia classes to the series.

Why not add Nostalgia to the mix? The Heritage series is a great show by itself. Maybe add nostalgia AA/FD to the dragster show & AA/FC to the funny car show. We used to have the heritage series run at the old Speedworld in Phoenix & then it swtiched to Wild Horse. This wasn't AA/FD & AA/FC, so the headliner was A/FD. That was such a great show. Anyhoo, maybe add nostalgia classes to the series.

Cliff, No matter how much us old people would love to see this, To attract the younger crowd, It's the Street Outlaw/ NPK scene right now. Years ago when "Big Chief" entered Indy's Pro-Mod class for the U.S. Nationals, The line of people to get his autograph, wrapped around the block. Atleast 5 times the amount of people standing in line to get Force's autograph.

I think NHRA would love to do things like this but as always it comes down to money. The west coast events are probably the only ones which would attract enough cars to make it work. If they had nostalgia in Denver or Brainerd how many cars would show up? I would highly doubt they would get 8 cars for any event outside of Pomona, Sonoma, Vegas and Phoenix.

Cliff, No matter how much us old people would love to see this, To attract the younger crowd, It's the Street Outlaw/ NPK scene right now. Years ago when "Big Chief" entered Indy's Pro-Mod class for the U.S. Nationals, The line of people to get his autograph, wrapped around the block. At least 5 times the amount of people standing in line to get Force's autograph.

I have a feeling the majority of people who come when the Street Outlaws/NPK cars show up probably couldn't distinguish between a ProCharger and a nitrous plate. But, they don't care.
Forget the cars, they are there to see, and root for, the personalities they've seen on television. The drivers are anything but PC, they don't spout off a list of sponsors, and they aren't afraid of getting in the faces of other drivers.
NHRA's Big Show drivers are too polished in comparison. Shoot, none of them even has a nickname. Now, I'm not advocating for having the Big Show drivers acting like a bunch of mouth-breathing knuckle draggers.
Gone are the days of "The Snake", "The Mongoose", "Ace", "TV Tommy Ivo", "Big Daddy", "Jungle Jim", "Brutus", etc., etc.
Those personalities, not the cars, made the sport popular during the '60s and '70s. But, then, big money started making its way into the sport. And the big money has smoothed the rough edges of the drivers to the point that they are literally all the same, just with different firesuits.

Phil,

You seem to have increased the sponsorship dollars coming in by at least three times, so that would be good. I'm sure that DSR would love to double his hospitality income, but if he could wouldn't he already be doing it?

One of your main contentions to start this was that the day is too long. If you have four rounds of Top Fuel, or Funny Car, you have not shortened the day much. The time it takes to turn one around doesn't get shorter based on what other classes are running.

When NHRA adapted the current format of running the sportsman cars to the semis on Saturday it was specifically to shorten the day for the fans. And when the day runs smoothly (No weather, oil downs or crashes) we are still filling time waiting for the finals, because they need time to turn around.

Bill Bader does an OUTSTANDING job with his Night under Fire, but it's a show first, NOT a race. If it was a race first, it would be very different.

One other item for thought, what will your tickets cost? Just to use round numbers if a Sunday ticket today is $50, what would your ticket be? And would it be the same for every event? In other words, would the TF ticket be the same as the PS ticket?

And when you get Amazon, Nike and Levis to come it at that level of sponsorship, that will help immensely.

Alan

Last edited:
I would like to see each winner celebrated individually. Maybe overlap the events with Pro Stock Friday, Top Fuel Saturday and Funny Car Sunday.

While I understand they sometimes stay over to test the next day, why not turn it into to Match Race Monday. They can still test. Most of us know some teams use the “Night Under Fire” as a test session and it’s still enjoyable. Another revenue stream is never a bad thing.

I’m also not sure why anyone would be opposed to an intermission where you could talk people into the pits to get autographs and spend money they wouldn’t spend otherwise. I find myself sitting in the stands all day because I like everything and there is never a break long enough to leave.

I always wonder why they don’t have merchandise set up closer to the exits to catch people before they leave. Is anyone else surprised more mainstream companies aren’t interested in handing out samples of new products at races the way Schick did with Jerry Toliver? Maybe they are turned away. I don’t know.

Thinking outside the box is not always a bad thing. Perhaps all is perfect and drag racing will grow without change. It’s easy to shoot holes in everything. It’s harder to come up with a vision for the future. Just a few ideas and opinions……

- losing the shootouts really took prestige away from certain events, and whatever point/qualifying/money system was in place to qualify for the shootouts. BIR used to be last Q for bud shootout.
- if there are byes, as someone else has mentioned, it would be nice to see them taken care of in first round.
- why not 16+/- car brackets for sunday? everyone that spends the money and tows to the race not only qualifies, but also races on sunday. all positions pay something.
- there should be some incentive on saturday other than just qualifying. not sure what that is.

.I agree. Bye runs past first round doesn’t seem right to me.
Pomona 1 proved that the current system is flawed. B. Force got a 1st round bye while L. Pruitt raced an easy #15 who she out qualified by 1.626 seconds. Then Pruitt got the 2nd rd. bye where Force had a much tougher race where she only got lane choice against Ashley by .064 seconds.

An possible easy fix for this would be to allow the better qualifier pick which bye on the ladder they
want. Pruitt could have been moved to the1st round bye and Force takes the 2nd round bye. Remember Pruitt won the race with the easier ladder.

However, the best thing for fan enjoyment is to have the "quickest of the losers" in the first round come back to fill that 2nd rd. bye slot. The fans only see one bye in round 1 where the #1 qualifier get it and all races in rd. 2 have competition.

In Pomona 1 that would have brought back #6 qualifier Doug Kalitta who lost with a 4.287 @ 232.19 in round 1 against #9 qualifier, Millican. Possibly don't let Kalitta earn Championship points, but allow him to keep others from getting any. Or give him the points as he truly "earned" his way back in as the other losers were slower.

Either way the fans only see one bye during eliminations and it would be fairer than what happened at Pomona 1. Yes, NHRA wouldn't get to keep 2nd rd. bye race "loser" money in my second suggestion... but the fans would see better racing.

(Alan, I just got back and will respond to your great red hot questions tomorrow.)

Last edited:
You seem to have increased the sponsorship dollars coming in by at least three times, so that would be good. I'm sure that DSR would love to double his hospitality income, but if he could, wouldn't he already be doing it?

Tripling the marketing space available while only doubling just a few of DSR’s current expenses would allow him to reduce his prices by 20 to 30% and put this marketing opportunity into the realm of a “Great Marketing Buy” for many more corporations than would buy it now. One area that could easily see an increase for NHRA is their Manufacturers Midway booth sales. Many people overlook the added value a quality Manufacturers Midway adds to the NHRA Nat’l Event experience. In the long run, its still all about Return On Investment (ROI) and the typical spectator should love these changes which makes companies want to be a part of that experience.

One of your main contentions to start this was that the day is too long. If you have four rounds of Top Fuel, or Funny Car, you have not shortened the day much. The time it takes to turn one around doesn't get shorter based on what other classes are running.

Yes, the nitro class turn around time would still be required. But reducing the Pro Sessions from 24 pair of cars going down the track to 8 pair per first round easily allows fans the opportunity to see the shorter but high quality Sportsman races for about half of the break in the nitro action. (Remember, only 6 Sportsman Eliminators instead of the up to 14 that some tracks contest now.)

A significant and properly scheduled break in the on-track action would allow fans quality time to really see the pit action and casually buy food and merchandise rather than climbing down from the bleachers feeling the pressure of getting thru the restroom line and then having to decide if they have time to both stand in line to get a burger and drink plus see some of the great but often missed pit action or do they have to rush back to their seats for the next Pro Session. And they wonder if the souvenir stand might runout of that item they want before they can get there after the race? With this new, more relaxed format, those that want to can stay in their seats and watch 100% of Sportsman Eliminations can while still having quality time to hit the restrooms and buy that burger/turkey wing with drink between every Pro round.

By reducing the number of Pro Show cars and their track time, it would increase the prestige of the Sportsman Eliminations and frankly, they and their sponsors deserve it.

**IF Pro Baseball wanted to add more value to their games… they could eliminate the 7th inning stretch and make their games 10 innings long. Of course that would be a bad move for many reasons. Concession sales would suffer, the fans needed restroom break would make the fans suffer or they would have to miss some of the action which reduces the casual atmosphere that makes MLB a great ticket buy. (You just know… if you go to the john while the game is being played… you will miss the most important play or home run of the game. There’s probably a Federal Law requiring it.)
Baseball has an 81 game home season while NHRA Nat’l Events only play each venue once a year. (Ok… 3 tracks have 2 events a year.) IF MLB thought they could reduce expenses without damaging income, they would reduce the number of games at least in half. There’s a reason they don’t and its counted in dollars.

The NFL, NBA and NHL could all do the same thing regarding eliminating their "7th inning stretch". They could all supposedly add value by eliminating their half time show (or two hockey breaks) and add more action on their stages. But doing so would be a negative thing for their repeat ticket sales and concession sales too. (Yes, pro football has a halftime show. But it's my contention that the only people who watch it seriously are the relatives of the performers or the wives who don't really like football. (Yeah, I know that comment is sexist and not woke. Woopie... no not that Woopie.)

There really isn’t a negative reason that I can think of that NHRA cannot take a quiet break from track action between the Pro Elimination rounds. As long as it’s properly told to the spectators and racers both in advance and when the break happens it would be a plus. MLB always announces their 7th Inning Break and I have never heard a complaint about it. We usually need that restroom break and another beer at the ballgame anyway. But also important, a set break allows spectators to casually discuss what has happened on the NHRA stage and calmly discuss with friends what we want to do and see in the pits or the concession stand and on the track. Specific set breaks in track action are also a great time to answer our “new to drag racing” friends questions and improve their enjoyment of the day by explain the various technical aspects of drag racing without our missing any of the action on the track… or of the highly informative words from those seriously good NHRA announcers. (Not kidding or sucking up. Well maybe sucking up.)

NHRA currently runs the brooms and rotators for “X” number of minutes before each nitro round. We spectators typically have no idea how long that “X” number of minutes is going to be. Why not find out what the track crew believes it’s going to be and tell the spectators something like this: “Now is the perfect time for you to check out the action in the pits, go quench your thirst at the concession stands, checkout those great event t-shirts you can only get here, take a restroom break and then be back in your seat in 45 minutes (or whatever is real) while we prep the track and take a slight break in the track action before the next round of awesome NHRA 330 mph smoke and THUNDER!”

For you track rats reading this… Have you ever been sitting in the stands waiting and waiting for the track prep to finish and you watch closely every time the tractor crosses back over the starting to see if he’s going to park it or make o n e m o r e p a s s ? If you're that guy I have two things to say. 1. He ain’t gonna stop until he sprays the glue so ignore it until they start spraying glue. 2. Please “Like” this post as I can’t be the only one that does that and I’ve been going to drag races for 57 years and announcers can't/won’t/don’t tell us an approximate time that track action will resume.
Alan, (yeah I know I just lost my suck up chip.) I would think announcers could pressure the track prep crew to give you a reasonably accurate time for them to finish and you could pass it on to the ticket buyers. Has anybody done an analysis of the typical times it takes to prep the track for the different classes and for the different spills the crews deal with? It would be an asset to the spectators to know how much time they have before action resumes and if your forecasted time is wrong, maybe even tell us why. (If it’s the track crew ran out of glue in the tank, maybe don’t tell us that. But NHRA would really need a better crew boss.)

When NHRA adapted the current format of running the sportsman cars to the semis on Saturday it was specifically to shorten the day for the fans. And when the day runs smoothly (No weather, oil downs or crashes) we are still filling time waiting for the finals, because they need time to turn around.

Love that change as it allows the Sportsman losers on Saturday the choice of heading home or staying and spectating. Those that do stay would probably appreciate a slightly shorter or easier day on Sunday too. For me, it’s easier to stomach those rain delays, oil downs and crash cleanups if I knew the day was going to be a comfortable "do-able" day to begin with. At one time or another we’ve all seen a crash or oil down in the middle of eliminations and watched a major portion of the crowd head for the gates. They wouldn’t do that unless they felt they had had already seen enough racing. They are not leaving “hungry for more” and they are not going to buy another burger from the track’s concessions on the way out either. Even if its one of us hardcore drag fans who wants to stay, it’s hard to overcome the desires of others in our group who may not be the strongest drag racing fan but who typically would enjoy the day if it’s not overbearingly long or stressful. Those are the ticket buyers who won’t be back unless they can’t talk their significant other out of their having to go. A day at the track needs to be pleasant and non-stressful for everybody.

The Truth: My wife just asked me what I was doing and I told her I was working on an idea to improve “the drag racing experience”. First words out of her mouth were “I don’t want to go to another drag race, the days way too long.” Understand that I’ve gone with her to see her chick flicks and I don’t like 99% of them. But I love her and want her to be happy so I go knowing I can put up with a 2 or 3 hour show or even the opera (which I like even less, and it costs significantly more.) She cannot say the same for my entertainment passion because she like many of our significant others, is toast after 3-4 hours at the dragstrip, in the sun baking on the bleachers.

Bill Bader does an OUTSTANDING job with his Night under Fire, but it's a show first, NOT a race. If it was a race first, it would be very different.

So the Bader’s crowd loves a show. Why not give NHRA spectators a race that’s show quality in both action on the track, in the facility and in the presentation? Plus provide more races to attend within driving distance from home for all of us drag racing junkies and all the newly developed fans.
If NHRA were to move toward a more fun and relaxing day and we will… BE THERE!
(Hey, I’m old and miss that.)

One other item for thought, what will your tickets cost? Just to use round numbers if a Sunday ticket today is $50, what would your ticket be? And would it be the same for every event? In other words, would the TF ticket be the same as the PS ticket?

Tough question and it would probably take having access to NHRA’s race accounting data to make a quality decision, but.. using your suggested current show ticket price of $50.00, my wild guess is that it could be dropped to $40.00 for the nitro shows and $30.00 for the Pro Mod/Pro Stock races. That should put it in the price range of even more ticket buyers. Typical 1/8th mile Pro Mod race ticket prices in Florida are $25.00 (or more) and that’s without the 260 mph Pro Mod show NHRA has and also without their mainstream NHRA Pro Stockers.

My favorite of the 3 Pro Classes are the Funny Cars. But I also wouldn’t want to miss the other two races either. If something came up and we only went to one nitro show and the Pro Mod/Pro Stock race, we would still be paying at least $70.00 each AND also buying twice as any concessions and t-shirts, etc. as we do now.

And when you get Amazon, Nike and Levis to come it at that level of sponsorship, that will help immensely.

If NHRA were offering naming rights to 3 times as many events as they do now, the price could probably be reduced a little making it a better ROI and it would be one heck of a bargain. For the big-name corporations, it’s all about ROI and increasing the number of events increases the ability to improve ROI for multiple NHRA marketing items.

Two things that haven’t been brought up yet.

Wouldn’t this be NHRA competing with itself by having 3 different racing events at the same venue each year. After all, it’s somewhat been proven that you shouldn’t run two national events at the same track each year. (I did that just one time. First race was great, the second one made money but not so much we wanted to do it again.)

Every major city in this country has multiple professional sports teams but they never have multiple games on the same day (except the very rare baseball doubleheader). NHRA would never have 2 nitro shows or their Pro Mod/Pro Stock show within a month of each other at the same venue. That allows the folks who feel the need to “reload” their entertainment wallet time to do so. The events would also have different classes presented. The "shows" would be different at each of the three races.

Would the Fortune 500 companies ever really be interested in marketing at NHRA National Events?
The Fortune 500 companies marketing departments are interested in the ROI of each advertising purchase. By lowering the costs to sponsor a race or hospitality tent, sponsor a specific race class or buy signage at the event, it increases the ROI. For those companies that want to be name sponsors of one of the top classes like Top Fuel, Funny Car or Pro Mod/Pro Stock, it reduces the gamble for them and might even become somewhat “petty cash” for those Fortune 500 companies while also make it more attainable for the smaller companies who typically would see great ROI from drag racing, but the total cost has been too big for their marketing budget.

When I threw out the idea of splitting up the national event program for a more comfortable race experience, I had no inkling it would turn into this long and somewhat serious of a discussion.

I appreciate all your quality questions and making me dig deeper into discerning if indeed this might be a way to improve and protect the sport I have loved so long. Thanks for making me probe for solutions.

Last edited:
I’ve heard this mentioned many times by racers and those who work in the media. The biggest spectacle that NHRA has is header flames at night. If I ran NHRA, one thing I would do during the warmer months is run one session on Thursday evening, two on Friday and eliminations on Saturday finishing as late as curfews would allow.

The one issue with that idea is, Thurs., Most people work so it would be difficult for spectators to be in the stands.
Not as much for a single night session. Not too much different than a Thursday night game in any other sport.

I don't understand your math. DSR triples the available marketing space? If you run the Top Fuel car in Springfield in March and the Funny Car in June, how is that triple?

I also remember when the midway was more robust, but times change. It used to be that I would wait until the race came to town so I could talk to the Holley guy, or the Hurst Shifter guy because I either had a problem, or was looking to make a purchase and wanted professional advice. Today? I look on the internet for the information and order it for delivery tomorrow. I'm also fortunate that I have a Speed Shop just down the street that usually has what I need in stock.

There was a day when MOROSO (just to pick one) would make thousands in trackside sales at an event, these days it's not even worth the expense to send the trailer. Because the racers have what they need, if you have a water pump go out, you either have a spare, or you borrow one from the guy next door and replace it at the next race.
Remember "Team Torch" who did the welding for everyone who needed anything welded? There isn't a need anymore, everyone has a welder on the team, and the equipment to fix problems themselves. Things change.

As for your "Scheduled Break in the Day" Many of our casual fans take that break generically, after the Pro session is over when many fans take that break. We go out of the way to inform the fans about the schedule, and what's coming up.
When was the last event you attended? We put a graphic on the big screen and I announce that "Top Fuel will be back on track at 1:15" And when track prep starts before the pro session, I will announce that we are doing the prep, it will take 8 minutes and you should start making your way back to your seats. I also will honestly tell the fans if there's a big oil down or a car gets in the net that: This will take 30 minutes to fix, so if you want to take a walk, or go grab a bite you won't miss a thing. And I will make another announcement when we are getting closer, that: "It's time to get back to your seat as we are about 5 minutes away." I do that every time.

Those fans that head out if there's a rain delay you say have "Seen enough racing" so they go home, I would respectfully submit that it depends on a couple of factors, like small shower vs. deluge, and what time of the day it occurs. At tracks where the parking is convenient fans will often retreat to the car, and come back when it's time. When we are 15 minutes or so away I will always put out the call for "Top Fuel To The LANES" just so the fans know we are about to resume. And P.S. Are you suggesting that baseball fans don't go home if it rains?

I also don't think that fans will be more inclined to buy a ticket to see fewer Pro Cars. Nobody loves sportsman racing more than I do, but the casual fan after seeing 300+ MPH isn't impressed by them nearly as much. If they did, why don't they flock to the Division Races?

MLB plays 162 games because they get TV money for every game. If they had to survive on ticket sales alone, they would play fewer and make each one more of an event. They also play in the same stadium for half the games. A stadium that is provided in many cases buy taxpayer dollars to some extent. When they go on the road, they get on a plane and go. They don't have a hundred semi trucks to drive the equipment to the next town.

We now have the best TV deal we have ever had, but it's not enough to keep us going, we have to sell tickets. And the expense of setting up for an event won't go down with your format. Insurance, security, travel, Safety Safari, even the expense to get permits and clearance to have the Sunoco Fuel Depot on site. Those expenses are more than double now that two full teams are needed to service multiple events on the same weekend. And I don't see it more than doubling the income.

You talk of lowering the cost to sponsor a race or hospitality tent, but the cost of putting on the race or a hospitality tent doesn't go down because you are running Funny Car and not Top Fuel. Let's just talk about the hospitality. If it cost's $1000 (again, just a round number) to do a hospitality tent, it's not going to cost $500 to do it for just one class. The truck, trailer, staff, travel expense, insurance and catering all cost the same, and if you have to have one unit in Springfield for the Top Fuel team and one in Shelbyville for the Funny Car, you have now doubled the expense, how would you sell it for less?

Oh, and you still haven't shortened the day.
Alan

Last edited:
My opinions of course. While I don’t think Phil’s ideas could be instituted next season, some of them should be a goal.

The big issue here is obviously the business model of surviving primarily off ticket sales. I don’t think any other major sport could survive without money from tv and/or streaming rights.

I’m not sure why the manufactures midway didn’t evolve and grow into something else. I have no idea what is charged to set up and if that is a factor. Why do many that set up think they need a big rig and massive tent manned by 10 people? If the days of being there for the racers are gone, I would think there is value in appealing to the spectators with a wide variety of products on a smaller scale.

While I don’t know why, I get the impression from many non fans I bring drag racing up to, they don’t have a high opinion of it. I asked my brother in law if he would like to go to a national event with me and his wife asked what we were talking about. What followed was the most puzzled and puckered look on her face as she said “draaaag raaaacing?” I was pretty annoyed by her response. He never went and gave me the run around many times after giving the impression he wanted to go. He did in fact attend many lower level nascar type racing events because his wife’s cousin races them. Some people do everything as a family and when just one isn’t interested it’s hard to make them a new fan. I don’t remember ever getting one person I invited to attend a race with me. Maybe it’s me they don’t want to be around, lol.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back