Short fields (1 Viewer)

!

Nitro Member
When Epping was run a few weeks ago a lot of west coasters said that the event should be cancelled because it’s too far out of the way. Classes were short because most teams won’t travel that far. Just saying.

When Epping was run a few weeks ago a lot of west coasters said that the event should be cancelled because it’s too far out of the way. Classes were short because most teams won’t travel that far. Just saying.
Bakersfield and another new milestone, only 13 T/F dragsters.

Jim Hill

I wish they would allow a/fuel cars to fill in when they have short fields, especially at races where they are not competing. It would be a decent payday to qualify for them and it maybe push them to move up to Top Fuel. On a good pass they run 4.40’s @ 1000 ft so it would keep the Nitro cars honest. I just hate seeing 12-13 cars total and only seeing 10 cars runs some sessions.

Pomona used to be packed, are Californians no longer interested in drag racing? It’s hard to see empty grandstands at a national event. And NHRA needs to do something about these short fields.

Short fields are a huge problem and I hope NHRA is working hard behind the scenes to correct this. I always thought the excitement of qualifying was a big part of a national event-who's in ,who's out, who just got bumped, etc. I'm happy there was a little of this in FC at Sonoma and Pomona but the short fields greatly reduce the excitement of qualifying.

On a positive note I have noticed in recent weeks that some of the lower budget part time nitro drivers have been featured on the TV shows and popular podcasts. These people are interesting and they deserve a lot of credit for showing up and doing what they love against impossible odds.

This has got to be the worst Pomona crowd ever in the history of ever. A Sunday general admission ticket is $65, parking is around $20, a cold beer is $12, the weather is mid 90's and the So. Cal. racing fan demographic has packed up and moved out of the state in the past 18 months. I grew up 5 miles from Pomona Raceway and rarely missed an event. Very sad to see.

I'm guessing NHRA won't be repeating another event at Pomona this time of year anytime soon. Crowd look pathetic

it was actually painful to watch. I’ve noticed a gradual decline in the Pomona crowd for the last several years, but as others have said, this weekend had to be an all time low. At the very least, it doesn’t look like this track should hold 2 national events a year anymore. Pick one and figure out how to fill it again.

it was actually painful to watch. I’ve noticed a gradual decline in the Pomona crowd for the last several years, but as others have said, this weekend had to be an all time low. At the very least, it doesn’t look like this track should hold 2 national events a year anymore. Pick one and figure out how to fill it again.
Track looked in rough shape,cracks,holes, etc.

Felt really awful for the racers out there. Crowd size reminded me of a decent bracket night on a Friday night.
How in the world do you lure in sponsors when they see high school football game crowds?

Going forward, what's the over/under on how many times Brian Lohnes is going to bring up what happened between Force and Hagan in the first round today?

Our daughter came in for a visit this weekend and we were able to watch today's race before she had to leave. Her first question was, "Why are the stands on the right side of the track completely empty?"
It was a really sad sight.

I was at Sonoma...price isnt a problem..beer was 12 bucks a can there too..people were there and having a great time..Pomona in the summer is a bad idea...when its hot as hades you arent going to draw big crowds...I dont know for certain but being from the dumpster fire thats known as California..Id bet the right side grandstands were closed due to sanitization rules...for some reason this state thinks wiping down hard surfaces reduce the transmission of covid..which is proveabley false according to the CDC...wait til topeka...itll be a packed house

$12 for a beer, It cost them less than $25 for a case of beer buying in bulk. So they are making almost $300 a case. What were they charging for food? $15 for a hot dog? What happened to all of those stand up politicians that said if they saw price gouging, They going after them for screwing the people! And the best is, they are paying their employees $8- $10 an hour!

We had more people at the tractor pull last night at the Boone County Fair. Not joking.

I would agree with a few others that said the changing demographics of SoCal played a part. A LOT of people are cashing out of their houses and moving away, a lot of drag racing fans are aging out and none of the youth out there are really interested in drag racing (or circle track racing either). SoCal is no longer the "hot bed of hot rods" it was 40+ years ago.

Then you throw the heat into the mix, makes for a tough draw.

I was at Sonoma...price isnt a problem..beer was 12 bucks a can there too..people were there and having a great time..Pomona in the summer is a bad idea...when its hot as hades you arent going to draw big crowds...I dont know for certain but being from the dumpster fire thats known as California..Id bet the right side grandstands were closed due to sanitization rules...for some reason this state thinks wiping down hard surfaces reduce the transmission of covid..which is proveabley false according to the CDC...wait til topeka...itll be a packed house.

The other side was closed just because there was no reason to open them due to the size of the crowd. You don't have to open that concession stand, or stage security and ushers over there, or clean up after everyone leaves. So why would you?

But that ruins dumb and angry narratives, so I guess that is not very much fun for some of you. :rolleyes:

Probably a good thing the right side was closed, would've looked even worse if say, 12 people were sitting over there.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back