Short fields (1 Viewer)

I would like to see each winner celebrated individually. Maybe overlap the events with Pro Stock Friday, Top Fuel Saturday and Funny Car Sunday.
This idea was floated a while back, and I'm not sure if he's the one that came up with it, but Jon Asher was certainly a champion of the idea of racing Pro Stock (bike and car) to a conclusion on Saturday and leaving Sunday for the Nitro Cars.

The thinking was that Saturday PS would be the headliners, and get the spotlight. They could potentially get some coverage either on line, or local Sunday paper without being pushed back for TF and FC. There was some logic to the proposal.

The ones who disliked it the most and pushed back the hardest where the racers, and sponsors. Their thinking was that Pro Stock would lose some prestige not running the same day as the Nitro cars, and they would be seen as a lessor Pro
category not equal to TF and FC, when since 1970 they had been the "Big Three" So the idea was never adapted.

Alan

This idea was floated a while back, and I'm not sure if he's the one that came up with it, but Jon Asher was certainly a champion of the idea of racing Pro Stock (bike and car) to a conclusion on Saturday and leaving Sunday for the Nitro Cars.

The thinking was that Saturday PS would be the headliners, and get the spotlight. They could potentially get some coverage either on line, or local Sunday paper without being pushed back for TF and FC. There was some logic to the proposal.

The ones who disliked it the most and pushed back the hardest where the racers, and sponsors. Their thinking was that Pro Stock would lose some prestige not running the same day as the Nitro cars, and they would be seen as a lessor Pro
category not equal to TF and FC, when since 1970 they had been the "Big Three" So the idea was never adapted.

Alan
That’s too bad. The unfortunate reality is they are viewed as lesser than and they should have been more receptive to at least trying it a time or two and see how it went.

Pomona 1 proved that the current system is flawed. B. Force got a 1st round bye while L. Pruitt raced an easy #15 who she out qualified by 1.626 seconds. Then Pruitt got the 2nd rd. bye where Force had a much tougher race where she only got lane choice against Ashley by .064 seconds.

An possible easy fix for this would be to allow the better qualifier pick which bye on the ladder they
want. Pruitt could have been moved to the1st round bye and Force takes the 2nd round bye. Remember Pruitt won the race with the easier ladder.

However, the best thing for fan enjoyment is to have the "quickest of the losers" in the first round come back to fill that 2nd rd. bye slot. The fans only see one bye in round 1 where the #1 qualifier get it and all races in rd. 2 have competition.

In Pomona 1 that would have brought back #6 qualifier Doug Kalitta who lost with a 4.287 @ 232.19 in round 1 against #9 qualifier, Millican. Possibly don't let Kalitta earn Championship points, but allow him to keep others from getting any. Or give him the points as he truly "earned" his way back in as the other losers were slower.

Either way the fans only see one bye during eliminations and it would be fairer than what happened at Pomona 1. Yes, NHRA wouldn't get to keep 2nd rd. bye race "loser" money in my second suggestion... but the fans would see better racing.

(Alan, I just got back and will respond to your great red hot questions tomorrow.)

Let her pick which round she wants the bye? So you're saying that if Brittany decides she wants the second round bye that she automatically beats Steve Chrisman? What if she doesn't? If Chrisman wins that round would you take the bye away because he doesn't deserve it?

When Terry Haddock beat Ron Capps in Epping it proved that on any given pair there's no guarantee of a winner. Even if one is a big budget team and one isn't. When Joey Haas went to the final in Denver, it proved the same thing. That if you can get it to the line and start it, you can win.

If Doug Kalitta goes on to win the event beating Clay along the way, would they need to run a tiebreaker? I mean Clay beat Doug once, and Doug beat Clay once. Why should Doug get a second crack at it if no one else does?

Once you start down that road, letting someone pick an
opponent instead of racing who the ladder says you race, where do you stop? What if Leah qualifies #1 and Antron #16 Would you let Leah decide that she doesn't want to run Antron, that she wants to run the #15 guy who might be easier to beat?

There are some events like RVW that will have multiple byes in round one to return 8 cars no matter what. That might be worthy of discussion, but letting the driver pick their first round opponent I don't see as a good solution. And letting someone back in after they get beat doesn't seem like something I could get behind either.

And before someone brings up 4-wide, in order to advance in 4-wide you still have to beat two people.

Alan

Last edited:
Pomona 1 proved that the current system is flawed. B. Force got a 1st round bye while L. Pruitt raced an easy #15 who she out qualified by 1.626 seconds. Then Pruitt got the 2nd rd. bye where Force had a much tougher race where she only got lane choice against Ashley by .064 seconds.

An possible easy fix for this would be to allow the better qualifier pick which bye on the ladder they
want. Pruitt could have been moved to the1st round bye and Force takes the 2nd round bye. Remember Pruitt won the race with the easier ladder.

However, the best thing for fan enjoyment is to have the "quickest of the losers" in the first round come back to fill that 2nd rd. bye slot. The fans only see one bye in round 1 where the #1 qualifier get it and all races in rd. 2 have competition.

In Pomona 1 that would have brought back #6 qualifier Doug Kalitta who lost with a 4.287 @ 232.19 in round 1 against #9 qualifier, Millican. Possibly don't let Kalitta earn Championship points, but allow him to keep others from getting any. Or give him the points as he truly "earned" his way back in as the other losers were slower.

Either way the fans only see one bye during eliminations and it would be fairer than what happened at Pomona 1. Yes, NHRA wouldn't get to keep 2nd rd. bye race "loser" money in my second suggestion... but the fans would see better racing.

(Alan, I just got back and will respond to your great red hot questions tomorrow.)
I really like some form of this idea.

I don't understand your math. DSR triples the available marketing space? If you run the Top Fuel car in Springfield in March and the Funny Car in June, how is that triple?

Sorry, I did state that wrong. “NHRA almost triples” their available marketing space, but as you said, DSR doubles theirs. If DSR sells hospitality suites year after year, DSR is making money on it. His marketing team should be able to keep expenses from fully doubling with good management and yet he would have more events for his marketing team to sell.

DSR, JFR and CKR get to sell marketing space at twice the number of nitro races per year. They should be easier to sell since their race trailers and hospitality tents would all be in prime pit locations as pit space would loosen up to their advantage considering there are less than ½ the current trailers in the pits as now. Don’t get upset with me mentioning something another sanctioning body that did a lot of things very, very poorly, but did do this one thing right. IHRA had a really good idea when they parked their pro racer’s trailers nose to tail rather than side by side. That way about 4 times as many spectators could see the action in the pits at every trailer. (Pit parking was NOT what killed IHRA’s nitro show. I spent the day in the top floor of the tower with IHRA’s leaders at one of, if not their last nitro show and a blind man could see their nitro show promotional end was in sight. But I digress… again.) The pits would easily have room to reset the nitro trailers while bring most Sportsman tailers in for a much more pleasant location for the teams and spectator viewing. And a much more profitable marketing location for the Sportsman race teams.

The DSR, JFR and CKR teams still get to promote their sponsors at 2 to almost 3 times the number of races per year. While many race fans would be at both nitro races and see the advertisement twice (which is a good thing marketing wise), many others may pick one race and still get to sample their marketing.

The majority of people that currently attend their one local NHRA Nat’l. Event could easily go to 2 cheaper shows that are at least a month apart and at the same track. Many would go to all 3. The crowds might possibly be a little smaller for each race than their national event crowd is now. But if it’s at a track that’s had numerous Saturday sellouts, they don’t have additional seats to sell without building more and also making more restrooms, more parking lot spaces, more lighting and all the increased staffing that would entail. The 3 individual races might each be just as big or even bigger with the cheaper ticket price and a more concise racing program. Example: I am positive I could get my wife to go to this, yet there is absolutely no way she would ever go to another Gators unless she were guaranteed we would only arrive as 1st round started and leave a max of 3 hours later. But the pit ticket price for the 1000’ Club doesn’t make sense for that, so she stayed home for years. (Ok.. at Gainesville it’s more like the 900’ Club.) Tracks that have been having consistent Saturday sellouts would now have 3X more seats available per year for spectators to at least see one race of NHRA Drag Racing. Make it enjoyable for more people and more people will return.

I also remember when the midway was more robust, but times change. It used to be that I would wait until the race came to town so I could talk to the Holley guy, or the Hurst Shifter guy because I either had a problem, or was looking to make a purchase and wanted professional advice. Today? I look on the internet for the information and order it for delivery tomorrow. I'm also fortunate that I have a Speed Shop just down the street that usually has what I need in stock.
….Things change.

I totally get your point that racing parts sales at the track have stopped. As you said: “Things change.” That means the makeup of the Midway should change too. Have you been to a NSRA (Street Rod) event? The leaders of the National Street Rod Association know that car guys at their events also like to bring their wives and/or girlfriends, so their version of the “midway” also caters to the ladies and others with many non-automotive items. This is in addition to booths that do sell or demonstrate car guy stuff. Those same vendors are back year after year so they must be making money! Maybe the NHRA marketing team could contract with regional marketing companies to sign up local vendors rather than only trying to sell to the large national corporations on buying a mammoth booth space with added costs of the large crew it takes to man it. If it’s a decent product that can interest and entertain some of the crowd, plus the vendors pay anything logical to be there; it’s a lot cheaper than paying for more nitro cars!

As for your "Scheduled Break in the Day" Many of our casual fans take that break generically, after the Pro session is over when many fans take that break. We go out of the way to inform the fans about the schedule, and what's coming up.
When was the last event you attended? We put a graphic on the big screen and I announce that "Top Fuel will be back on track at 1:15" And when track prep starts before the pro session, I will announce that we are doing the prep, it will take 8 minutes and you should start making your way back to your seats. I also will honestly tell the fans if there's a big oil down or a car gets in the net that: This will take 30 minutes to fix, so if you want to take a walk, or go grab a bite you won't miss a thing. And I will make another announcement when we are getting closer, that: "It's time to get back to your seat as we are about 5 minutes away." I do that every time.

I stand corrected if you and the other announcers are consistently keeping fans informed of breaks in the action and how long it will be before folks need to be back in their seat, then it has been too long since I’ve attended a NHRA Nat’l. Event.. My apology! I got tired of the grind back then and have been going to 8 tracks in FL and GA (except the Gainesville track and the Gators). I guess going to shows like Orlando’s World Street Nationals, DI’s Doorslammer Nationals and the Duck’s No Mercy Races at S. Georgia MSP have scratched my “larger event” itch for too long.
Continued below...

Continued from above:
I also don't think that fans will be more inclined to buy a ticket to see fewer Pro Cars. Nobody loves sportsman racing more than I do, but the casual fan after seeing 300+ MPH isn't impressed by them nearly as much. If they did, why don't they flock to the Division Races?

Divisional races should be drawing a profitable spectator crowd and apparently the Divisional at Norwalk does very well. What is Bader doing that the others are not and why aren’t they? I could write a 500 word essay on why Divisional races aren’t producing like they should. (Actually, I may have already written it, but it’s way too long for here.) Bill Bader could easily top my 500 words I’m sure.

Regarding fewer nitro cars and spectator sales. AHRA went out of business not because of low ticket sales. It died because the main man leading it died and those that followed didn’t have the right vision and just argued over ownership issues. The years when Tice was alive and we had just AHRA’s 8 car T/F and 8 car Funny Car Grand Americans, we packed the bleachers every year and made a great profit without all the marketing partners NHRA has now to pay our very high marketing bills and offset some of the purse. The two 8 car nitro eliminators were not the problem at AHRA’s end, it was their best asset. Regarding the Sportsman show. With fewer Pro cars on the track, the heads-up Sportsman classes will be able to show that they are also highly entertaining. When the majority of the spectators at a NHRA national event (or any event) have watched an hour’s worth of action on the track, they need a break no matter what is happening on the track. I flew from Florida to the Bakersfield March Meet (Hot Rod Reunion) a few years ago. I love old funny cars and they must’ve been 60 of them. I couldn’t believe it when I got totally tired of watching them and skipped the last 5 or 6 pair. It wasn’t a “restroom break need”, it was I just “need a break”. There are many folks just like that after 16 pair of nitro cars and it’s really not that Pro Stock isn’t entertaining. It’s that folk’s are on sensory overload and need a break in the action. (Or another potty break.)

MLB plays 162 games because they get TV money for every game. If they had to survive on ticket sales alone, they would play fewer and make each one more of an event. …
We now have the best TV deal we have ever had, but it's not enough to keep us going, we have to sell tickets. And the expense of setting up for an event won't go down with your format. Insurance, security, travel, Safety Safari, even the expense to get permits and clearance to have the Sunoco Fuel Depot on site. Those expenses are more than double now that two full teams are needed to service multiple events on the same weekend. And I don't see it more than doubling the income.

There are more races to sell commercial spots for TV too. Plus, there might just be cheaper ways to get TV programing for the smaller race venues while keeping the current FOX contracts in place for the better known races. Then modify the shows to fit the races and time slots for a quality product. Isn’t a 3 hour show harder to produce and place in a TV schedule than a 2 hour show? Most movies and some sports programs seem to be 2 hours (90 Minutes and 15 min. of commercials, I think.

I get it that some costs would be hard to pass on or remove with triple the number of events. But Pro Stock and Pro Mod have fewer races already. If you only have T/F racing you only need ½ the nitro. If you only have 6 Sportsman classes racing instead of 13 to 17, you need a lot less racing gas. Y Plus the cost of insuring a smaller and shorter event would cost less than the larger risk at the current events. Local drag strips pay a lot less for insuring their Test n Tune nights than they do for their Pro Mod shows. Insurers charge for the risk involved and the on-track risk would decrease significantly with less than half the cars breaking 250 mph. You are right about the Safety Safari and travel expenses. Unless by having more events, the logistics of the travel could be reduced. For instance, if NHRA has one Safety Safari for the Eastern half of the country and another for the Western half it should make it easier on the crews and possibly some other expenses. If the third Safety Team just covers the Pro Mod, Pro Stock and 6 select Sportsman Eliminators, it might possibly be smaller staffed and also use the local track safety crewmembers to assist. The track crews would still be overseen by the NHRA Pro Stock/Mod Safety Crew. The FL and GA tracks we have raced at in the last 10 years or more, all have full time, certified EMT’s working at the tracks and they are all very much improved from back in the 60’s and 70’s when track safety crews wore t-shirts and tennis shoes. (True story… Around 1979, I hired a local state approved ambulance service to be on property and ready to go for every race day. We have a car spinout going down track and the ambulance takes off, hits the small asphalt lip getting onto the track surface and the starter falls off causing the motor to die. Fortunately, there wasn’t a problem with the driver or anyone else and while the track truck pulled the car off the track, our staging lane steward bolted the small block starter “with vertical bolts” back on the ambulance. We had a new company for the next race as nobody had faith in the old company anymore even though the problem was with their repair shop. …I digress again.)

You talk of lowering the cost to sponsor s race or hospitality tent, but the cost of putting on the race or a hospitality tent doesn't go down because you are running Funny Car and not Top Fuel. Let's just talk about the hospitality. If it cost's $1000 (again, just a round number) to do a hospitality tent, it's not going to cost $500 to do it for just one class. The truck, trailer, staff, travel expense, insurance and catering all cost the same, and if you have to have one unit in Springfield for the Top Fuel team and one in Shelbyville for the Funny Car, you have now doubled the expense, how would you sell it for less?

Except that DSR or whoever is selling it to two different companies for two different races. It may not need be as big and involved or it may still need to be bigger. The company that agrees the ROI for purchasing any marketing product is the one that dictates what is needed. DSR or others get to sell 2 times as many companies to spread out DSR’s risk should one backout of a contract. Many of the teams would have a new product or more product to sell as space in the pits has been limited.

Oh, and you still haven't shortened the day.

Sure it shortens the day! The 1st rd. would have 8 pair of T/F instead of 24 pairs of T/F, F/C and P/S. If 1st round typically averages 60 minutes on the track now, it will only take 20 minutes with this plan. Yes, it would still take the same amount of turn-around and track prep time between each 2nd round. But each round of Pro racecar on the track would take 1/3rd as much time as it does now. Remember, Bill Bader’s fans love his Night of Fire show and his pro racers are not on his track for nearly as many minutes in the entire show as today’s NHRA Nat’l Event Pro racers are.

Spectators would have the same amount of time between the Pro races to enjoy themselves in the pits, the Midway, the concessions and hit the restrooms while being in their seats for the next round. Put all four rounds together and this eliminates at least 45 min. to an hour and that’s not counting the reduced chances of oil downs or on-track time delays that would be greatly reduced with ½ as many nitro car passes.

You can always look at change as not going to work, but then we wouldn’t ever have anything new and better. This idea may not be for NHRA’s biggest races like Indy and the tracks that want to keep the large show. This could also be a way to have a marginally successful track drop to 1 or 2 of the 3 Pro Eliminators and another track in the region that doesn’t have an NHRA Pro Class Event pick up that 3rd Pro Eliminator.

NHRA is essentially already doing this at Bristol. They only have 9 of the 17 Sportsman Eliminators racing plus the Pro Stocks won’t be there. Let’s see how big and happy their crowd is during October’s cooler, football season.

Let her pick which round she wants the bye? So you're saying that if Brittany decides she wants the second round bye that she automatically beats Steve Chrisman? What if she doesn't? If Chrisman wins that round would you take the bye away because he doesn't deserve it?
Anyone that receives a 2nd round bye isn’t guaranteed a win over their 1st round opponent at any drag race. And you are right, Brittney shouldn’t have a choice as I suggested for multiple reasons and especially having the ability to pick a teammate to race during a countdown race so the higher point team car could win the Championship. (Should that opportunity happen,)

But in the nitro racing classes the idea of the #1 car always getting the 2nd rd. bye would still make the #1 qualifier have the easier ladder overall. NHRA could restructure just the nitro class ladder to handle byes that way.

In the Pomona 1 race, #1 qualifier- Brittney would have had the easier road to the win rather than the #2 qualifier having it.

In the Pomona race, had Chrisman beaten Pruett in 1st round, he would have gotten the bye into the semi-final and that would’ve still been fair because he would have earned it by beating the much tougher #2 qualifier.

Unfortunately, with less than full fields, one or two people are going to always get a free round. (Unless only 4 or 8 cars qualify.) My point is that the easier ladder should always go to the #1 qualifier as they earned it over the #2 qualifier.

When Terry Haddock beat Ron Capps in Epping it proved that on any given pair there's no guarantee of a winner. Even if one is a big budget team and one isn't. When Joey Haas went to the final in Denver, it proved the same thing. That if you can get it to the line and start it, you can win.
If Doug Kalitta goes on to with the event beating Clay along the way, would they need to run a tiebreaker? I mean Clay beat Doug once, and Doug beat Clay once. Why should Doug get a second crack at it if no one else does?
Once you start down that road, letting someone pick an opponent instead of racing who the ladder says you race, where do you stop? What if Leah qualifies #1 and Antron #16 Would you let Leah decide that she doesn't want to run Antron, that she wants to run the #15 guy who might be easier to beat?

So reset the nitro class ladder so whenever there are two byes in a 16 car ladder, automatically give the 2nd round bye to the #1 qualifier and the 1st round bye to the #2 qualifier.
In nitro racing it’s a significant advantage getting to race the slowest car in the field 1st round and take the bye 2nd rd. rather than race a middle of the pack car 2nd round who just won a round in the 1st round.

This idea wouldn’t be true in Pro Stock as they’re field is usually a lot tighter. Remember back when all 16 Pro Stock qualifiers were consistently within .07 sec. or better of each other? But in the nitro classes qualifying isn’t nearly that close and seemingly, the #1 thru #4 qualifiers always have a huge advantage in 1st round.

When Saturdays Final Qualifying lists for T/F and F/C are posted, quite often the only tight races will be #8 vs. #9, #7 vs #10 and maybe #6 vs. #11. Sure, upsets happen and that’s why they race them. But that’s also the reason that all the top nitro racers want to at least qualify in the top 4.

There are some events like RVW that will have multiple byes in round one to return 8 cars no matter what. That might be worthy of discussion, but letting the driver pick their first round opponent I don't see as a good solution. And letting someone back in after they get beat doesn't seem like something I could get behind either.
Adding more bye runs isn’t healthy for the spectators no matter how you do it. The paying crowd was already shorted 3 cars as Pomona 1 only had a 13 car field.
Had there been 16 cars instead of 13, #6 qualifier Doug Kalitta, would most likely drawn the .936 second slower #11 (5.255). Instead, he raced #9 (4.316). That was close to a 1 second difference in his opponent’s qualifying time! Kalitta’s cars performance in 1st round was the best of those who lost that round and the paying spectators deserve racing, not multiple round bye single car passes.

Both Force and Pruitt could have just pulled their cars into the beams, taken the tree and gotten a free ride (push) to the next round and the crowd would have gotten even less for their money. Both didn’t do it mainly because they wanted lane choice in the next round to have an advantage over their opponent.

Pomona 1’s T/F race was won by a racer who was paired against the weakest car in the field first round, then got a bye 2nd round and really only had two tough races for the Wally. Where B. Force, had three tough races yet was the #1 qualified car.
If short fields keep happening and get worse, can you imagine the disaster that a 9 car field would produce? There would be a bye run every round but the final! By modifying the rules so the best of the losers is automatically reinstated, all bye runs are eliminated except for the first round with any number of cars qualified. That modification would be best for the spectators. But NHRA would have to pay and not keep any 2nd or 3rd round bye money.

And before someone brings up 4-wide, in order to advance in 4-wide you still have to beat two people.

I didn’t realize that and I’m not arguing here, I just want to know how the 4 wide really works and yes, I know this is about short fields but so are my 4-wide questions.

If there are only 3 cars in a “race” at a 4 wide, then only 1 car advances? Does that mean the absent car (space on the ladder) gets an automatic pass to the next round and another bye there? I thought it was that the two cars first over the line moved on and both only had to beat one car.
Not having thought about bye runs at a 4-wide, I would have assumed the one car that would have had a “2 lane track bye” would get an automatic pass into the next round for taking the tree and the other two cars were racing for a spot in the next round.

Again, not trying to be a smart a$$ just want to know how various 4-wide situations work. Hope you don't mind but I would like to use the term "tree drop" instead of "quad" since there's not always 4 cars in a quad and with the questions I've got calling it a quad could confuse me further.

How would NHRA handle a 4-wide field if only 9 cars show up? 1st round only 3 cars per “tree drop”? Two 4 car “tree drops” and 1 single? How would they handle 2nd round with 5 cars?
Or how would NHRA handle it if only 12 cars showed up to qualify? Three full 4 car pairings 1st round with the 2 best coming back for 2nd rd. Then have two “tree drops” of 3 cars each with only the best car from each race coming back for a 2 car final?

Or would 1st rd. only have 3 cars in 4 different “tree drops” and cars in each of 4 “tree drops” and the best 2 cars from each “tree drop” moving on to a full final 4?

the other for 2nd round or 3 cars in each ‘tree drop” and a final round of the best stwo from each semi-final “tree drop”, the best two of the tree cars in the semi-final and then the final with two cars?
Or would the final 3 cars run for 1st and 2nd with the third car being the semi-finalist?

I agree that the is no guarantee #1 beats #15 or #16, but I’d take that bet all day. In fact, especially last year, it was unusual for any fuel car in the bottom half to advance past first round. Even the well funded who qualified low obviously were struggling that weekend. I still agree Brittany had the tougher path and I think something similar happened with Steve earlier.

Phil,

I don't have time to go line by line, you have a very different idea about what it would cost to do this, and what profit could be made.
It's easy to say, "Just have two Safety Safaris" The one we have has seven semis and four duallys going down the road. So just buy more trucks? More tractors?
Did you know that the Safari goes in Monday before the event to do the setup and track prep?

"With twice the races and twice the TV shows you can sell more adds" Do you know what it costs to do a full TV production? And yes, you could stream on the web (which we do) But the reason NHRA spent literally millions on TV during the ESPN days was because without a good TV package the sponsors wouldn't be there. Is it great when the stands are full and your car gets seen on track? Sure, but that doesn't justify the investment of MOPAR, Toyota, Lucas etc. They do it because we are on TV. The deal we have with FOX is the best package we have ever had. Camping World would not have come to us without it.

"Let the #1 qualifier have the second round bye" What if Connie decides to experiment during qualifying (being that it's a short field) and Doug ends up down at the bottom. Would Brittany race Doug? Or could she decided to take the 1st round bye and make Leah race him?

Let's go back to where we started, the length of the day.
11 AM Round 1 Top Fuel 8 pair 30 minutes if all runs perfectly? 11:30 done
75 minutes turn around
12:45 round 2, 4 pair, 15 minutes 1:00 done
75 minutes turn around
2:15 semis 2 pair 2:25 done
75 minutes turn around
Final at 3:40

Put them on a quick turn around and you might get finished by 3, two oil downs and it's after 4

In Brainerd the TF final was before 5, and we ran Funny Car, Pro Mod, MMPS and others.

I'm off to Indy,
Alan

Last edited:
Alan,
You’ve made some very good points and its time I surrender. You’ve convinced me there really isn’t a logical way to modify the national event program from the show NHRA produces now and still keep all with vested interests happy and profitable. We have debated almost exclusively about the Sunday show and NHRA now has a concise time frame for TV and ticket buyers. I admit that we were typically going on Friday and Saturday and watching the finals on TV Sundays. That led to my assumption that Sundays were longer too.

My goal was to dig into this deeper than the typical short posting that doesn't discover ways to improve the events. Most ignore NHRA’s need of producing both a quality drag race for racers while also presenting a highly enjoyable event for the ticket buying spectators. Options that I thought might increase spectator appeal for NHRA Nat’l. Events while still strongly protecting the track operators, NHRA and the racers and increasing marketing potential. Doesn't look like splitting up the show would work that well.

I highly appreciate your responding my proposals and questions. You gave a great explanation and defense of what NHRA is doing now. Looks like NHRA and the staff have cured a lot of the issues I thought were still there. Thanks and hope you enjoy The Big GO!

Alan,
You’ve made some very good points and its time I surrender. You’ve convinced me there really isn’t a logical way to modify the national event program from the show NHRA produces now and still keep all with vested interests happy and profitable. We have debated almost exclusively about the Sunday show and NHRA now has a concise time frame for TV and ticket buyers. I admit that we were typically going on Friday and Saturday and watching the finals on TV Sundays. That led to my assumption that Sundays were longer too.

My goal was to dig into this deeper than the typical short posting that doesn't discover ways to improve the events. Most ignore NHRA’s need of producing both a quality drag race for racers while also presenting a highly enjoyable event for the ticket buying spectators. Options that I thought might increase spectator appeal for NHRA Nat’l. Events while still strongly protecting the track operators, NHRA and the racers and increasing marketing potential. Doesn't look like splitting up the show would work that well.

I highly appreciate your responding my proposals and questions. You gave a great explanation and defense of what NHRA is doing now. Looks like NHRA and the staff have cured a lot of the issues I thought were still there. Thanks and hope you enjoy The Big GO!
In the history of this message board, this has been one of the better threads! NHRA is having meetings with race teams this weekend from what I hear on how to keep participation up. I’m sure it boils down to more qualifying money but at least they are working on it.

After reading these posts, it’s almost like two different items are being addressed; 1) Short fields, and; 2) Increasing fan interest and attendance.
As far as the short fields, the main thing that will bring more racers, as I see it, is more money. Money is not going to increase if fan attendance keeps dropping.
My wife is a casual fan in that, while she likes going to national events, she does not keep up with the sport like I do. She knows all the drivers. And she puts up with me taking over the TV for 3 hours on race Sundays. She usually watches as well.
I asked her tonight what she would suggest to help get more people to the races.
She asked why there isn’t more advertising for races. That got me to thinking. I don’t recall ever seeing advertisements for any race anywhere other than on a race broadcast.
Has NHRA ever thought of running ads for a National event, say, during a Major League Baseball or football game?
How about during a college baseball or football game?
Those typically have big audiences.
I realize it’s going to cost more for ads during such broadcasts.
That goes back to the old saying of, “It takes money to make money.”

Ted, don't you remember the old "Sunday, Sunday, Sunday" radio ads? Everybody I know imitated that guy. It's ironic because when I read your post I thought of those ads, then I open the new issue of Cruis'n Media, and there's a story about him!

Ted, don't you remember the old "Sunday, Sunday, Sunday" radio ads? Everybody I know imitated that guy. It's ironic because when I read your post I thought of those ads, then I open the new issue of Cruis'n Media, and there's a story about him!
Have this on cassette, it's in a box in storage. Haven't seen it in years
Can't believe it's bin almost 21 years since Steve Evans passed

Last edited:
I miss Steve Evans. When he managed Lions, I loved to listen to him tell stories about the racers (the ones he could share - HA) and loved his commentary. I used to sit next to a loud speaker so I could hear what he said. There was a forum years ago, run by Cole Coonce (sp) that was kinda like Nitromater. Once Steve Evans posted a story about how he got involved in drag racing as a kid. I printed it out & still have it in my drag racing treasure box.

Vaughn, I do remember those ads, and loved hearing them.
But, the only time I remember hearing them was if a big race was happening locally.
We used to catch radio ads for races at Tulsa, but that was many years ago. Until about four years ago, we were living in northwest Arkansas. The Tulsa track is only about 1.5 hours from there.
Before I get too deep into this, I'm curious to find out from people who live relatively close to a national event track if they've ever heard or seen ads announcing an upcoming race.

But, the only time I remember hearing them was if a big race was happening locally.
We used to catch radio ads for races at Tulsa, but that was many years ago. Until about four years ago, we were living in northwest Arkansas. The Tulsa track is only about 1.5 hours from there.
Before I get too deep into this, I'm curious to find out from people who live relatively close to a national event track if they've ever heard or seen ads announcing an upcoming race.
I hear ads on the radio and see ads on TV for the Mile High Nationals. I hear ads for several other Bandimere races on the radio as well. For the Las Vegas National events, I always see a billboard advertising the races on I-15.

I have in the past seen some on tv for the Norwalk event, but it always aired during an NHRA broadcast and never that I recall during anything else.

Last edited:
In the 60’s and 70’s, drag race advertising focused on their main ticket buying audience. They focused on the newly mobile 18-24 year old age group that loved the freedom our cars gave us. When we were out of the house, we had the radio on and were easy targets for the dragstrip’s exciting “smoke and thunder” advertising. Part of the dragstrip’s magnetic attraction was that all the “cool” and important car magazines used ¼ mile times in determining a car’s ‘coolness” …and our car was our image. Racing a trailer car, pulled by a tow bar or street driven car, nothing was cooler than making dragstrip passes and then driving home with white shoe polish on the windows.

Today’s young adults don’t see it that way at all. If fact if they see shoe polish on the windows they probably think you just bought the car at auction. That’s drag racing’s serious dilemma as kids today don’t seem to even care if they have a drivers license or car at all.

In 1964 I turned 16 on a Sunday and Monday morning I was first in line at the DMV. Now 6 of my 11 grandkids are old enough to drive and not one of them got their driver’s license within a month of turning 16. Three waited until they turned 17! My drag racing son’s two girls got their licenses the closest to their turning 16, but it was still well after their 16th birthday.

Now the only drag strip advertising I find is on the track’s Facebook page plus a few Gatornationals TV ads on 1 or 2 car guy TV programs just before the race. I only see the Facebook ads because I’m “friends” with 3 Florida and 1 Georgia dragstrips.

If NHRA did buy the high price ads on football games or any TV program, I’m not sure they would pull in enough additional ticket sales to pay for the ads. It's a different world.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back