Short fields (1 Viewer)

I receive phone calls every day from the dealership where I leased one of my cars, and they told that if I was willing to turn the car into them with one year left on my lease, they would give me another new car for 3 years for less money and zero interest rate for the next 3 years.

When I asked me friend who owns the dealership why they were doing this, he explained to me that all the rental car companies cannot purchase new cars because of the chip shortage, so they are willing to pay top dollar for cars coming off a 2-year lease program.

When I question my friend how much was top dollar he told me he can tack another $5,000 dollars on every car he can get his hands, and they are willing to pay it that is how bad they need cars to rent.

Jim Hill

I receive phone calls every day from the dealership where I leased one of my cars, and they told that if I was willing to turn the car into them with one year left on my lease, they would give me another new car for 3 years for less money and zero interest rate for the next 3 years.

When I asked me friend who owns the dealership why they were doing this, he explained to me that all the rental car companies cannot purchase new cars because of the chip shortage, so they are willing to pay top dollar for cars coming off a 2-year lease program.

When I question my friend how much was top dollar he told me he can tack another $5,000 dollars on every car he can get his hands, and they are willing to pay it that is how bad they need cars to rent.

Jim Hill
Sounds like you're saying I should keep my fingers crossed when I go to pick up my rental car at Indy Thursday night!

Sounds like you're saying I should keep my fingers crossed when I go to pick up my rental car at Indy Thursday night!
No, I am not saying that this is going on all over the USA yet!

I travel a good amount and in some places the problem is better than in other places right now.

It is all because of the chip problems and if you listen to what some larger car manufacturers are saying when asked how long to they think this will go on the answer seems to be a few years which means anyone renting a car may have a difficult time. I guess the good is used car prices are 45% and no one goes to the car auctions any more because no one is running their car through the auction.

One friend reserved an SUV in Boston and when he got there they informed him the only car they had to rent was a large 4-door car that were a few years old.
He sent me a picture of the car and said I cannot believe this is what I have to use for the next few days.

Jim Hill

Yes, this isn't on "short fields", but its where the discussion went... Sorry for the length.

I'm retired now but have both owned and managed multiple leasing and rental car companies in the last 40+ years. I can guarantee you the rental car company owners do not like today’s automobile climate at all. None of them are having a good year even at the very high rental rates they have to charge their customers. They are not making huge profits as they are still paying for the losses they incurred selling their fleets at discount prices in 2020. They only did that so to stop their financial bleeding when travel was shut down.

The Covid19 disaster ruined the very old auto rental business with its well defined business plans. When nobody could travel and needed a rental car, the rental company owners had to make the decision to either sell off the vehicles or gamble that business would return shortly. “Shortly” has still not happened nation and worldwide. The states that have opened up are still not at “normal” capacity as states still locked down are not sending people to the open states. Most people are still nervous about “moving about the country”. Rental car company’s owners in states that are open, still have to worry that their state’s governor won’t cave to those wanting him/her to lock the state back down and crush their business again.

Most rental car co. owners had to sell a large portion of their fleet at discount in 2020 to stay in business and now can’t get the same cars back at huge price increases over what they sold them for just last year. When they do get some vehicles back, its at huge price increases which they then have to pass it on to you and you’re not happy about it. Making their customer’s mad is not a good business plan… but it’s not their fault. They are just trying to stay in business hoping the world returns to “the way it was”.

Traditionally, rental cars depreciate fairly consistently, they also require licensing fees, storage/maintenance fees, liability insurance fees and also the gamble of either self insuring or paying for collision insurance on cars that may end up just sitting on a lot they are also paying for. If that lot is at a major airport, they are paying extremely large fees to their Airport Authority. (Rental fee's are how airport’s stay in business and pay for their staffing needs plus the repair and maintenance of airports.)

How do any of us expect rental car companies to plan for their rental fleet needs when they cannot forecast rental needs? It’s even worse when prices for old and new cars are escalating so rapidly and their fleets have been reduced to all time lows. It’s a lousy business to own right now and the blame for Covid19 isn’t on them.

Yes, this isn't on "short fields", but its where the discussion went... Sorry for the length.

I'm retired now but have both owned and managed multiple leasing and rental car companies in the last 40+ years. I can guarantee you the rental car company owners do not like today’s automobile climate at all. None of them are having a good year even at the very high rental rates they have to charge their customers. They are not making huge profits as they are still paying for the losses they incurred selling their fleets at discount prices in 2020. They only did that so to stop their financial bleeding when travel was shut down.

The Covid19 disaster ruined the very old auto rental business with its well defined business plans. When nobody could travel and needed a rental car, the rental company owners had to make the decision to either sell off the vehicles or gamble that business would return shortly. “Shortly” has still not happened nation and worldwide. The states that have opened up are still not at “normal” capacity as states still locked down are not sending people to the open states. Most people are still nervous about “moving about the country”. Rental car company’s owners in states that are open, still have to worry that their state’s governor won’t cave to those wanting him/her to lock the state back down and crush their business again.

Most rental car co. owners had to sell a large portion of their fleet at discount in 2020 to stay in business and now can’t get the same cars back at huge price increases over what they sold them for just last year. When they do get some vehicles back, its at huge price increases which they then have to pass it on to you and you’re not happy about it. Making their customer’s mad is not a good business plan… but it’s not their fault. They are just trying to stay in business hoping the world returns to “the way it was”.

Traditionally, rental cars depreciate fairly consistently, they also require licensing fees, storage/maintenance fees, liability insurance fees and also the gamble of either self insuring or paying for collision insurance on cars that may end up just sitting on a lot they are also paying for. If that lot is at a major airport, they are paying extremely large fees to their Airport Authority. (Rental fee's are how airport’s stay in business and pay for their staffing needs plus the repair and maintenance of airports.)

How do any of us expect rental car companies to plan for their rental fleet needs when they cannot forecast rental needs? It’s even worse when prices for old and new cars are escalating so rapidly and their fleets have been reduced to all time lows. It’s a lousy business to own right now and the blame for Covid19 isn’t on them.
Thanks for that very informative post

So while we bemoan the short fields, lack of spectators, and an aging demographic ,the motorcycle organization XDA had an event at Maryland International Raceway and had over 800 entries 9000+ spectators and "street bikes" doing 6.50s at over 230 MPH. At least 80% of those 800 entries would be classified as young people.

The sport is healthy and young people are involved. However, it has all changed. The old NHRA deal is, as some have posted boring to newcomers. The "grudge scene is huge. A recent all bike event in Florida was packed out and the winner racing for $90,000.

Everything changes...Drag racing is changing. WE all got into it because it was something we could do. Three guys with decent jobs could run a competitive top fuel car at Lions. Now, what is left of fuel racing is mostly a corporate deal.

Last few times I went to an NHRA event, I spent my time in the pits with my customers and never went up to watch anything go down the track.

One day Chicago style fuel shows are fun to watch. Modern NHRA, guess I have out grown it.

Jay, I think some of the most fun events are one day shows. I used to go to Lions & watch the triple header show: AA/FA, JR/F, Top Gas Dragster. Never many fans, but always a great night to watch racing. I went to a lot of "big shows" at Lions as well. The Last Drag Race was insane, so many people & race cars, bittersweet cuz it was the last race. I also love going to the Divisional & Regional meets. Am at the point where I go to the National on Friday & then stay home & follow on Drag Race Central.

So while we bemoan the short fields, lack of spectators, and an aging demographic ,the motorcycle organization XDA had an event at Maryland International Raceway and had over 800 entries 9000+ spectators and "street bikes" doing 6.50s at over 230 MPH. At least 80% of those 800 entries would be classified as young people.

The sport is healthy and young people are involved. However, it has all changed. The old NHRA deal is, as some have posted boring to newcomers. The "grudge scene is huge. A recent all bike event in Florida was packed out and the winner racing for $90,000.

Everything changes...Drag racing is changing. WE all got into it because it was something we could do. Three guys with decent jobs could run a competitive top fuel car at Lions. Now, what is left of fuel racing is mostly a corporate deal.

Last few times I went to an NHRA event, I spent my time in the pits with my customers and never went up to watch anything go down the track.

One day Chicago style fuel shows are fun to watch. Modern NHRA, guess I have out grown it.
You bring up some great points Jay, and I agree. Drag Racing is healthy, and has the ability, IMO, to make some big leaps again. The NHRA needs to really look at where we're at, and work on repackaging their product to be successful in the future.

you are right jay, drag racing is very healthy. if i could take the time off work, i'd rather go to BIR this week on wed/thurs for divisional than the 1 day that i'll go
to nationals this coming weekend........haddock has backed out leaving 14 and 15 fuel fields as of today. will be cool to see PM's and MMPS's at BIR.
will they even run alcohol FC with 3 entries?

Last edited:
NHRA really needs a more entrepreneurial management. Look at NASCAR. They are really trying to shake it up. Ever think you would see cup cars on dirt? Indy as a road circuit?

How about we have a national event that features t/f vs. fc? Pro stock vs. Factory stock? A Chicago style event.

Props to Leah for bringing a nonautomotive sponsor to the track.

$hit must be hitting the fan with Terry Haddock because, being a budget team, He has been to almost everyone of the Nat. events. Especially having a teammate who rent's his 2nd car. Any word?

$hit must be hitting the fan with Terry Haddock because, being a budget team, He has been to almost everyone of the Nat. events. Especially having a teammate who rent's his 2nd car. Any word?
I think he has been to every event this year,which means since he missed topeka he wont be eligible for the countdown. Bummer

you are right jay, drag racing is very healthy. if i could take the time off work, i'd rather go to BIR this week on wed/thurs for divisional than the 1 day that i'll go
to nationals this coming weekend........haddock has backed out leaving 14 and 15 fuel fields as of today. will be cool to see PM's and MMPS's at BIR.
will they even run alcohol FC with 3 entries?
It’s a shame there are only 3 entries in TAFC.

Sign of the times. We are now wondering where a particular “privateer” is who 25 years ago nobody cared to discuss. Grabbing at straws really. I just think back to English town, probably 15-20 years ago, 22 top fuel entries, rain in forecast for second day of qualifying, and Schumacher had not been qualified at that point. You bet Saturday was packed waiting to see if he got in. 6 cars go home, not everyone got a trophy. Now, show up and you’re in. Other than setting the ladder, what are people actually watching or rooting for two days of qualifying? Used to be a race in and of itself to see who made the field for Sunday. That urgency is gone, basically a 1 day race now to spectate.

and now baldwin's daughter has pulled out of TF @ BIR......13 TF.....15 FC :rolleyes: seriously, just throw the 3 TAFC's in the FC field and make the 15 nitro cars make a respectable pass,
1 or more TAFC's to fill FC field on sunday ...... should do the same with 11 TAD's ..... let them join the 13 TF'rs in Q. whoever doesn't make the big show, come back and run TAD
on sunday as usual. there mite be more than three TAD's that Q for sunday TF

With only 3 TAFC and 9 Pro Mod's at Brainerd. Wonder how this race down the road in
Great Bend, KS will turn out? More money for TAFC and check out the admission price.
What a deal! I think there will be a nice turnout of cars
1629164391664.png

Last edited:
and now baldwin's daughter has pulled out of TF @ BIR......13 TF.....15 FC :rolleyes: seriously, just throw the 3 TAFC's in the FC field and make the 15 nitro cars make a respectable pass,
1 or more TAFC's to fill FC field on sunday ...... should do the same with 11 TAD's ..... let them join the 13 TF'rs in Q. whoever doesn't make the big show, come back and run TAD
on sunday as usual. there mite be more than three TAD's that Q for sunday TF
I say put TAD and TAFC together and let's go Pro Comp racing

He was entered for topeka,niw he isnt (

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back