Phoenix Weather (1 Viewer)

Announcer said yesterday that Firebird came back to life cuz of many city, police, racers, NHRA, and others that met with the tribe to keep the track open. We all thought it would close last year so a great blessing that track "will be open for a long time to come". I will comment that the gestapo was really a pain. Could not bring back pack, nor umbrellas, etc thru the gate. Was allowed to bring my little med bag, but I thought they were getting way out of hand by was not allowed to be brought in. Less food vendors this year as well. Just my 2 cents. Believe me, I'm so glad that track will stay open.
Cliff, can you tell us what food vendors are there, and what is missing from last year? This is an ongoing interest of mine. In spite of the price, I have always loved track food vendors for the variety.

Talked to one of the top pro stock drivers after q2.indicated they didn't run yesterday because track at top end was deemed unsafe for pro stock and pro mod by NHRA due to holes and stuff in track. Apparently it was slightly better today. Hope that wasn't what caused Carrie's crash. Not an issue for fuel because they have so much downforce.

Talked to one of the top pro stock drivers after q2.indicated they didn't run yesterday because track at top end was deemed unsafe for pro stock and pro mod by NHRA due to holes and stuff in track. Apparently it was slightly better today. Hope that wasn't what caused Carrie's crash. Not an issue for fuel because they have so much downforce.
That was a very strange crash. Smoke came out from under the rear tires just before she pulled the chutes. Almost like the brakes locked up or something. She was going 140, man I feel bad for that. What a pisser.

That was a very strange crash. Smoke came out from under the rear tires just before she pulled the chutes. Almost like the brakes locked up or something. She was going 140, man I feel bad for that. What a pisser.
Pro Stock final from Pomona turned out nicely. I love me an underdog. Heh heh HEH! Even if it did blow my bracket bonanza picks.

I thought Firebird did a great job. I didn’t wait long in line at all for food because there were so many vendors. I’ve been going to Firebird since 1999 and I thought they ran the event pretty well today. The weather was fantastic, the racing was good. I had a great time.

I would really like it if someone would tell me what food vendors are there. I almost can’t believe I didn’t make this race, I live an hour and a half north of Phoenix in Flagstaff.

I’ll try to make a note of the vendors on the pit side tomorrow. I remember a few burger joints, a couple bbq places, a Mexican food place, a watermelon slushie truck that’s always there. I got some chicken tenders and fries for 15 bucks that I thought were pretty good for event food.

I’ll try to make a note of the vendors on the pit side tomorrow. I remember a few burger joints, a couple bbq places, a Mexican food place, a watermelon slushie truck that’s always there. I got some chicken tenders and fries for 15 bucks that I thought were pretty good for event food.
Sean, that would make my day! It’s the small things…. i’m in semi retirement mode now, and I’m thinking about flying around and visiting the national events next year that I really want to go to. Maybe I’ll make a big post or a bunch of YouTube videos about that.

Looks like a "Sellout Crowd" was on hand for Saturday action in Phoenix. Not sure exactly what that means. Does it just mean that all of the Reserved seats were sold? Is there a point where they consider all of the General Admission seats to be sold, maybe per Fire Marshall capacity of the facility? Either way, it's good news for this event.

Last edited:
Announcer said yesterday that Firebird came back to life cuz of many city, police, racers, NHRA, and others that met with the tribe to keep the track open. We all thought it would close last year so a great blessing that track "will be open for a long time to come". I will comment that the gestapo was really a pain. Could not bring back pack, nor umbrellas, etc thru the gate. Was allowed to bring my little med bag, but I thought they were getting way out of hand by was not allowed to be brought in. Less food vendors this year as well. Just my 2 cents. Believe me, I'm so glad that track will stay open.
The track hires out the security to a company called Pro Em and every year it's a shit show with them. You probably could have turned around, waited three minutes and gone to a different guard and been ok. My sister was ok with her backpack yesterday.

My favorite interaction with them was last year when I had media credentials and had my vest on and was walking through the staging lanes along the walkway and was stopped by one of them and told to turn around and I couldn't be there. I argued for a couple minutes and then said **** it and walked around only to get stopped at the base of the tower by another guard saying I couldn't enter the tower because I didn't have a hard card. Luckily Ally the media liason was right there and set them straight.

The track hires out the security to a company called Pro Em and every year it's a shit show with them. You probably could have turned around, waited three minutes and gone to a different guard and been ok. My sister was ok with her backpack yesterday.

My favorite interaction with them was last year when I had media credentials and had my vest on and was walking through the staging lanes along the walkway and was stopped by one of them and told to turn around and I couldn't be there. I argued for a couple minutes and then said **** it and walked around only to get stopped at the base of the tower by another guard saying I couldn't enter the tower because I didn't have a hard card. Luckily Ally the media liason was right there and set them straight.
I had no problems all three days bringing in water and food.

Another very weak 1st Rd of T/F today at Phoenix. Looks like only 3 races were competitive, but with off-pace ET's.

The Ashley/Schumacher rivalry continues, with Ashley winning over Tony Schu for the 2nd time this weekend.

Good to see Maddie Gordon (one of the two Doug Gordon daughters) racing in Top Dragster. Could there be two TA/FC cars for the Gordon's in the future - one for both daughters?

Alexis going rounds for a change, but her R/T's are still poor. Consistent, but poor.

Last edited:
Another very weak 1st Rd of T/F today at Phoenix. Looks like only 3 races were competitive, but with off-pace ET's.

The Ashley/Schumacher rivalry continues, with Ashley winning over Tony Schu for the 2nd time this weekend.

Good to see Maddie Gordon (one of the two Doug Gordon daughters) racing in Top Dragster. Could there be two TA/FC cars for the Gordon's in the future - one for both daughters?

Alexis going rounds for a change, but her R/T's are still poor. Consistent, but poor.
I was not able to watch today, sadly, so I will have to catch up on NHRA TV, whenever they finally get around to putting it up there.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back