Track conditions/weather at Phoenix, ETs? (1 Viewer)

flapjack

Staff member
Nitro Member
My understanding is that the weather and track conditions are pretty good at Phoenix. What do you think we'll see in terms of ETs and speed? I am hoping for some more low 3.70s/4.00s (TF/FC), like we saw at Pomona.

If they don't wad the tires up right away, and the track is good through the middle, we will see some big numbers. :D

Last edited:
The DA was 900' two hours ago and it's already gotten better (up to 56 degrees and the relative humidity has dropped nearly 40%). If the track is good enough I'll go out on a limb and say 6.45/215 for somebody in Pro Stock. I don't look for the all time bests in the fuel classes to be surpassed (3.70, 3.96) but they'll be approached.

The DA was 900' two hours ago and it's already gotten better (up to 56 degrees and the relative humidity has dropped nearly 40%). If the track is good enough I'll go out on a limb and say 6.45/215 for somebody in Pro Stock. I don't look for the all time bests in the fuel classes to be surpassed (3.70, 3.96) but they'll be approached.

Carl.....I'm curious to know which site you use to get the info for your DA calculations? I use the one on Drag Times, but the information seems to be a little more delayed than what you are using.

Carl.....I'm curious to know which site you use to get the info for your DA calculations? I use the one on Drag Times, but the information seems to be a little more delayed than what you are using.

Michael, I didn't calculate it. I got my 900' number from a Super Stock guy who's actually in Phoenix right now.

The weather information itself I get from Weather Underground. Sounds like a terrorist outfit but it's actually a really good up-to-date weather site. Their information is only about 15 minutes old.

Michael, I didn't calculate it. I got my 900' number from a Super Stock guy who's actually in Phoenix right now.

The weather information itself I get from Weather Underground. Sounds like a terrorist outfit but it's actually a really good up-to-date weather site. Their information is only about 15 minutes old.

I know Weather Underground very well.....use it all the time! Especially WunderMaps.

As for the DA, you should give the Drag Times calculator a try....it's pretty cool (I just recently ran across it).

DA Calculator - Density Altitude Calculator - DragTimes.com

All you have to do is select the track, date and hit the get weather button. Once you do that, it will give you a table with the time, temp, humidity and pressure. Just click on the time you want the DA as of and it'll give you the answer.

Edwards just laid down a .49. AJ and some other big dogs have yet to run.

Looks like FC was a too aggressive for the track conditions. Haven't started following TF yet...

Same old Firebird.

Hammer on it to avoid shake early, then park it out in the middle to avoid pulling the tires loose down track. A few exceptions, Johnny Gray made a very impressive pass. Tomorrow they should be able to run it harder in the middle, I bet we might see a 4.01 or so out there.

Still not sure whazzup with Antron's car. No explosion but she went dead at 800 feet in Q1 - and even Q2's 3.76 was 10MPH slow, indicating some underlying issues in the last couple hundred feet.

Hope it doesn't bite them tomorrow and Sunday.

Still not sure whazzup with Antron's car. No explosion but she went dead at 800 feet in Q1 - and even Q2's 3.76 was 10MPH slow, indicating some underlying issues in the last couple hundred feet.

Q1 Was a planned shut off to check things over before they ran it to the lights.

Q2 He shut it off just before the finish, it was moving around on him pretty good.

Nice day - weather forecasters wrong again (as usual). Track seemed to have some grip. Edwards' 6.49 was very impressive - P/Sers usually don't do well here.I think rapidly falling temp during TF Q2 fooled some tuners. Should have good (or possibly great) conditions for the rest of the race.

How about backing off early because Ant's still a really hurting unit???... I just hope he doesn't hurt his self pushing it to hard.
The car is "older Pipe"
They are in... and.... If you're in, You Can Win....

d'kid

Q1 Was a planned shut off to check things over before they ran it to the lights.

Exactly! Corradi said that they were scuffing pistons and wanted to find out if it was during the burnout or launch, thus the planned shutoff. He said that didn't happen in Q1 and that was fairly obvious in Q2!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back