Phoenix weather (1 Viewer)

ZWeinstein

Nitro Member
I was super worried when they announced last year that the Phoenix race was being held at the end of March because it is usually 90+ degrees but the racing/weather gods have smiled upon us for our final race because it is going to be perfect. 70 degrees all three days with partly cloudy skies on Saturday and Sunday. Looks like we can see some monster runs to send ol' Firebird out in style.

I was super worried when they announced last year that the Phoenix race was being held at the end of March because it is usually 90+ degrees but the racing/weather gods have smiled upon us for our final race because it is going to be perfect. 70 degrees all three days with partly cloudy skies on Saturday and Sunday. Looks like we can see some monster runs to send ol' Firebird out in style.
it's gonna be quick

i just adjusted low e.t. on PTW ;)

That is real good news.

With all the damn rain we are getting in CA, I am worried about the weather for the Winter/Spring Nationals in Pomona in a week and a half. I am hoping for the best.

That is real good news.

With all the damn rain we are getting in CA, I am worried about the weather for the Winter/Spring Nationals in Pomona in a week and a half. I am hoping for the best.
I'm surprised I haven't had to sandbag here in the center of California yet. But when the levee breaks, it wouldn't matter anyway. Parts of the Sierra have 50' of snow.

Crazy
1679518342244.png

That is real good news.

Looking at the long range forecast in my neighborhood (West Hills) it show showers on Wednesday and dry all weekend low to mid 60's.

Its funny you really think this is the final race.... #itsnot :cool:

Its funny you really think this is the final race.... #itsnot :cool:
The way I look at it, if I expect it to be the last like I have for the last couple years it will make it that much sweeter if it is not the case. The rumor I heard coming from the divisionals last month does give some hope but I'll believe it when it happens.

If anyone is interested, Auto Imagery has been posting photos of Firebird Raceway in years past include the first national event and some from the ground-breaking ceremony.

I went to the first Nat'l at then Firebird. I have been going to this track for 39 years, That's longer than all the time I went to the drags in SoCal. I remember the opening ceremony (which wasn't the first race) where all the baloons were released from the roof of the tower. Alan has stories about the very first race, when the racing had to be stopped due to insect invasion. The first 330 MPH run was made there by Tony S, 1/4 mile.
Gary Ormsby was #1 Q at the first race. Lost Rd 1 when a slick went flat on the burnout. Looking at the photos reminded me of that.

Last edited:
great photos from firebird past.....guess i didn't know frank bradley once carried jolly rancher colors, then would wear same colors CCing for shelly anderson,
who is also in that photo set if you go past the firebird pics and get into the great pics from recent garlit's HOF ceremony.

I don't ever recall a day being a sellout before the gates open.
Gonna be some lucky, and upset fans.

🤷‍♂️

Perfect conditions in Phoenix - 69 degrees, sunny, humidity 12 percent. In TF qualifying Round 2, only ONE car, Krista Baldwin who ran 3.84, failed to smoke the tires. Either they all tried to rotate the earth or the track surface is crap. Almost a repeat in FC, where only 2 out of the entire field failed to smoke the tires. One of them was Terry Haddock, who made a good full-pull (4.02, 302) and Tasca was the other (3.99). That's it.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back