March Meet (1 Viewer)

Too many oil downs, too many drivers not knowing when to lift and taking out cones!
Those cars don't represent what we grew up watching they are starting to look like door wedges.

I understand the performance reasons but they should look like the cars we did watch back in the days. I went there Thursday and Friday to check it out but won't be going again!

They take way to long to clean up the track and when they oil them down the track it's all the way down the shutoff area!
Trust me I was in the stands a lot of people were bitchin about it and a lot of people left early because of it including me!
If anyone left early on Sat then they must have walked home, because their cars were still there when i arrived. Due to the fact that i was at a boat race in San Demas during the day I didn't get there until 6:00pm after all the fuel cars were done and the cars were still parked at least a mile on both sides of the road, and at least a half mile down the dirt road in the orange grove. I finally found one spot up by the gate. So if that was your spot then i thank you because i was running out of options. This was by far the largest crowd i have ever seen at Bakersfield. Only having 2 major races a year seems to be working out pretty good for them.

Last edited:
I would hate to go through life and say that I didn't enjoy that March Meet! That was one hell of a race! Larry, Im with you, Bob must have been some place else.:D:p

Even though we got knocked out in the first round, I still had a great time. I even spent time in the nitro pits...on Saturday.

Best run of the day in my opinion was Ron August in Rich Gausco's Pure Hell AA/FA on Thursday with a 6.20 ET. Nice true and straight.

BTW, yes the place was packed!

Too many oil downs, too many drivers not knowing when to lift and taking out cones!
Those cars don't represent what we grew up watching they are starting to look like door wedges.

I understand the performance reasons but they should look like the cars we did watch back in the days. I went there Thursday and Friday to check it out but won't be going again!

They take way to long to clean up the track and when they oil them down the track it's all the way down the shutoff area!
Trust me I was in the stands a lot of people were bitchin about it and a lot of people left early because of it including me!
I never go when newstalgia dragsters are running. They do oil the track, and famosa takes forever to do a clean up.

I watch the funnies, fuel altereds, then head for the pit.

First, Ban all synthetic racing oils!

BTW, Jay, you try to clean up synthetic oil, there is NO easy, quick way.

First, that cleanup crew would not have a job in the midwest... Second, there were more oil downs by the funny cars this year then the dragsters... That does tend to happen though when so many cars try to qualify for such a quick field...

I understand about the synthetic oil. However NHRA seems to be able to do it way quicker. I also understand They are not NHRA, but a meet the size of MM, they should have a crew out there that could handle it.
As for their normal stuff, I have been there for test and tune and that big sweeper spent a good quarter of the entire day out on the track.

Did somebody tell you that the current crop of Top Fuel and Nitro Funny Cars were supposed to replicate what you experienced while growing up? The time you grew up in is OVER and was OVER a long time ago.

It is current nitro drag racing with bodies, engines, blowers and pumps that fit into a very tight SPEC rule book, the last place where amateur racers can still burn nitro and blow up their shit just like the big boys. The 15,000 + spectators on Saturday didn't seem to share your observations, nobody will miss you, your seat is already filled.

Thanks for attending the 2014 March Meet, anyway.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back