Bakersfield march meet 2023 (1 Viewer)

Michael Anderson and I put that together. Go to the West Texas Hustler AAFD trailer to purchase. If there are any left after the event, he can mail them out.

Attachments

• 331267838_1251366635467688_4231940977170270513_n.jpg
    331267838_1251366635467688_4231940977170270513_n.jpg
    521.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

what a *itch.

I wonder what happened to the 16 car TF deal ...

They will probably get Groups 1 and 2 in tomorrow but it will skew the points deal for the season because a lot of those teams have to go back to work and can’t stay. Also the Ambient and Track temps will not be friendly to anyone running Alcohol or Nitro. It is already in the low Thirties here 40 miles away.

That's a real shame about the Sunday rain-out, but the Sunday forecast didn't look too promising. I went on Saturday and had a great time. The weather was anywhere from chilly to sunny and nice - it varied throughout the day. But it never threatened rain.

It was a full day of good racing, except for some oil-downs that plagued the afternoon action. One odd one was Rian Konno, who spun the tires hard at the hit in his AA/FC and broke something. He got right over to the wall and stopped, so only maybe 300 ft of track got oiled? But, for some reason it took a full hour to clean up. So there was lot's of time to walk around the pits. And oil downs tend to be contagious, so there were a few more incidents that delayed the racing in the next few hours, and thus some classes had to be cut for the day.

The crowd seemed very strong, with many people staying in the stands most of the day to watch all the classes. Much different than at Pomona where the crowd scatters after the fuel cars run. I don't recall the food lines being so long at previous March Meets. And the cars were parked a good 1/4 mile west of the parking lot on Rt 46, like normal. So It was good to see such a strong turnout.

I walk around quite a bit and usually see a lot of Big Show and former Big Show names, such as the Snake, Ron Capps, Del and Chuck Worsham, Mike Salinas, John Force and Robert Hight, and guys from the old days like Don Ewald. I could have missed these guys, of course, but I didn't see any of them this year. I wonder if anyone else had any sightings of famous drag racers like we normally get at the MM? I did see Larry Sutton and Kenny Youngblood though.

A big thumbs up to Bob Higgenson who kept the engine in his re-creation of the Surfer's dragster warm all day with many fire-ups.

Why do the nostalgia fuel guys have to copy the Big Show fuel teams by doing few, if any throttle wacks? If it was my car, I would do at least 3 every time the car was warmed up. Ya gotta please the crowd, you know? And nothing is more bitchin than throttle wacks with a fuel car. Come on, guys! You only get to take these cars out a few times a year. Have some fun with it!

Also, a big thumbs up to the jet dragsters! Yes, I know, it's more of a side-show to the main event, but man, those things are so bitchin! What a crowd pleaser and a great way to end a fun day of racing at the end of the day.

Last edited:
That's a real shame about the Sunday rain-out, but the Sunday forecast didn't look too promising. I went on Saturday and had a great time. The weather was anywhere from chilly to sunny and nice - it varied throughout the day. But it never threatened rain.

It was a full day of good racing, except for some oil-downs that plagued the afternoon action. One odd one was Rian Konno, who spun the tires hard at the hit in his AA/FC and broke something. He got right over to the wall and stopped, so only maybe 300 ft of track got oiled? But, for some reason it took a full hour to clean up. So there was lot's of time to walk around the pits. And oil downs tend to be contagious, so there were a few more incidents that delayed the racing in the next few hours, and thus some classes had to be cut for the day.

The crowd seemed very strong, with many people staying in the stands most of the day to watch all the classes. Much different than at Pomona where the crowd scatters after the fuel cars run. I don't recall the food lines being so long at previous March Meets. And the cars were parked a good 1/4 mile west of the parking lot on Rt 46, like normal. So It was good to see such a strong turnout.

I walk around quite a bit and usually see a lot of Big Show and former Big Show names, such as the Snake, Ron Capps, Del and Chuck Worsham, Mike Salinas, John Force and Robert Hight, and guys from the old days like Don Ewald. I could have missed these guys, of course, but I didn't see any of them this year. I wonder if anyone else had any sightings of famous drag racers like we normally get at the MM? I did see Larry Sutton and Kenny Youngblood though.

A big thumbs up to Bob Higgenson who kept the engine in his re-creation of the Surfer's dragster warm all day with many fire-ups.

Why do the nostalgia fuel guys have to copy the Big Show fuel teams by doing few, if any throttle wacks? If it was my car, I would do at least 3 every time the car was warmed up. Ya gotta please the crowd, you know? And nothing is more bitchin than throttle wacks with a fuel car. Come on, guys! You only get to take these cars out a few times a year. Have some fun with it!

Also, a big thumbs up to the jet dragsters! Yes, I know, it's more of a side-show to the main event, but man, those things are so bitchin! What a crowd pleaser and a great way to end a fun day of racing at the end of the day.
I think The Throttle Wacks went the way of the Dry Hop. It's All About The Clutch Baby !

I think The Throttle Wacks went the way of the Dry Hop. It's All About The Clutch Baby !
It's also hard on the crank hub. I've scene some cracked before.

Sorry to hear yesterday was a bust, yet not supprised. Most of it will finish up today for those who could stay.

Was there on Saturday. Weather was pretty good although at times the breeze was COLD. Car counts seemed way down, probably due to the weather across the nation.

"One odd one was Rian Konno, who spun the tires hard at the hit in his AA/FC and broke something. He got right over to the wall and stopped, so only maybe 300 ft of track got oiled? But, for some reason it took a full hour to clean up."

It was mentioned over the PA system that the synthetic rear end fluid is much harder to clean up than motor oil. But yes, it took a long long time.

Lots of very good runs and a few wall kisses that were close to disaster but my favorite of all things were the two 9 second cars that ran right right on their number. They both were banging 4 speeds.

Was another really fun MM and was back home in the East Bay by 9:20pm.

synthetic rear end fluid is one of the worst to clean up............. Took a hour because of it.

Incredible drone footage of a magical place.

** rewind to the beginning

it's the algorithms I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Had to leave Monday after lunching a motor so didn’t stay for the rest of group 1 eliminations. Anyone have results for 7.0, junior fuel and FC?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back