March Meet (1 Viewer)

Doug

Nitro Member
I, my son Blaine and my buddy Jack are planning on going to the March Meet @ Famoso so Blaine can experience the race cars like I grew up watching. Anyway I was wondering about what time is best to try to get in and whether there are any secrets for a better day. We're planning on driving from Lodi on Saturday morning - it's about a 3.5 hr drive. I see the Saturday gate is listed as 7:00A. Any and all thoughts and info is appreciated.
Doug

Hi Doug, just came from the track and it's jumping. Their expecting more than 500 cars in many classes this weekend so their packing them in and running them down the track.

Best advice, get there EARLY. Saturday is the busiest day for spectators and in the past people have had to park as far as a mile down Famoso Road. Might want to think about bring a bike if arriving later.

Elimination will begin on Saturday with the slower classes starting at about 9 and the final qualifying session of nitro cars will be in the afternoon before they start 1st round of eliminations later on. Other than that, bangshift.com

Hope this helps.

Hey Doug! I'll keep an eye out for you guys. I'll be there too.

As far as advice, I agree with Gino. I usually try for 8am and do fine.
If you get stuck parking far away, you can usually relocate to a closer spot later in the day to a space that someone vacated.

I also sit in the camping side bleachers before 1pm and then switch over to the pit side bleachers after so that the sun is always on my back. It's supposed to be really nice and sunny and warm. The speaker system at Famoso is spotty. Some speakers do not work or work poorly, some work great. I enjoy the commentary so I find a speaker that is working good and then see if there is room for me in that section.

Double socks and comfortable walking shoes. You will be walking a lot. LOTS to see and do. Live bands and shenanigans occur in differing sections and pits of the property at the end of the day. Bring jackets for the evening.

We change the clocks forward Sat night, so take into account the lost hour of sleep for Sunday.

Last edited:
Doug, arrive no later than 7:30am unless you already have your tickets. The line for tickets will be VERY long. Bring a large blanket and some duct tape. When you get in go directly to the bleachers and find a good spot to sit. Use the duct tape to secure the blanket to the bench seat. Now you have reserved your spot. Then get out in the pits and mid-way and have a blast. Be sure to bring a hat and sun screen. Be sure to visit Larry and anyone else on here that offers.

*note:
if you arrive to find a long ticket line at the camping gate, try the other ticket booth in the center. Since it is a little further out, people are too lazy to go over there or they follow the rest of the sheep into the long line.

rather be stuck in a ticket line than 'stuck in Lodi again'.....lmao:D, couldn't resist.
can't wait to see pics from this event every year and watch on bangshift. have a great time.
famoso is on the bucket list....one of these years.

Thanks for the responses. Looks like Blaine is going to miss this one he said he's going to work on Saturday. Jack and I may leave a little earlier maybe around 4A. We have three tickets aquired at the AAA booth at the Winternats. So I might have an extra.
Doug

We're 1 isle pass the finish line with our white A/G 57 Chevy.

BTW, if you have time, it's always worth it to visit the Swap Meet too.

Any other Maters going or with a racecar. We'll try to stop by if we know who or where you are.
Doug

Well we're off. I'm excited because Blaine changed his plans and is not working so he'llget the opportunity to see the old style cars run!! Thanks again for the tips.
Doug

Hi Doug, just came from the track and it's jumping. Their expecting more than 500 cars in many classes this weekend so their packing them in and running them down the track.

Best advice, get there EARLY. Saturday is the busiest day for spectators and in the past people have had to park as far as a mile down Famoso Road. Might want to think about bring a bike if arriving later.

Elimination will begin on Saturday with the slower classes starting at about 9 and the final qualifying session of nitro cars will be in the afternoon before they start 1st round of eliminations later on. Other than that, bangshift.com

Hope this helps.

I heard they had over 40,000 there Yesterday, I understand U2 will be playing after Eliminations!

Better Joe- quarter mile racing with real, IDENTIFIABLE race cars... Best Weekend EVER! Thank you, BangShift.com!

It was such a great time! Got to talk with a bunch of cool people, see / feel / smell / TONS of great racing, see some good lookin women, eat junk food, rock out to a live band, see some shenanigans, etc etc. So much fun!

Sorry I missed ya Doug, and Larry I finally watched you guys warmup the car on Saturday (the 3:30pm one). I have been trying to catch one of the fireups of that car since it was unveiled and never had the good luck. Finally I had good timing and good luck. It sounded so good! You were busy, so I didn't want to disturb you.

Too many oil downs, too many drivers not knowing when to lift and taking out cones!
Those cars don't represent what we grew up watching they are starting to look like door wedges.

I understand the performance reasons but they should look like the cars we did watch back in the days. I went there Thursday and Friday to check it out but won't be going again!

They take way to long to clean up the track and when they oil them down the track it's all the way down the shutoff area!
Trust me I was in the stands a lot of people were bitchin about it and a lot of people left early because of it including me!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back