John Force's rant (1 Viewer)

If he was truly interested in safety, they would revert to the rule that they had in the late 70’s early 80’s. If you lost control of your car. IE crossed the centerline or hit the wall even after the finish line you were disqualified. You could only cross the centerline when you were exiting the track or to avoid someone in your lane.

Now this makes sense!!! I understand all of John's points but to allow a backup because you have one or because the guys work hard is ridiculous. You can only start the car once or if you cross the centerline on a single you're DQ'd. I absolutely think you should be DQ'd if you can't bring the car to a safe stop and turn off of the end of the track without hitting the wall or putting it in the sand. Just because you have the money to blow it up in the lights to win the round doesn't make it right. SAFETY FIRST!!!!

Also, drivers should be checked out after a mishap just like in Nascar. Just because they say they're OK doesn't mean they are. Adrenaline is a mighty powerful painkiller. Their day is over.

I am with T Smith on this one.

Stuff it in the fence, tough stuff, load it on the trailer and go home. Safety First.

What about the guy in the other lane? Jim Head didn't wreck his car, is it fair that he goes to the line in the same car when the team he is facing is racing a different car than they started the day with? Why should Head be potentially punished when he has committed no foul? The end result was correct today.

Also, touch the fence before the finish line and you are DQ'd, touch the fence after the finish line and it's no worries, bring out new pipe? What the heck kinda sense does that make?

NHRA please DO NOT CHANGE this rule. What you will see sometime down the line is teams claiming chassis damage so they can bring out new pipe during eliminations. This is one rule whose unintended consequence actually helps keep costs down.

PS Kudos to the whole Force camp for the effort, but I think John Medlen had talked some sense into them. I believe they were going to merely stage the car and hope for a miracle.

What would happen if they qualified the car they intended to run in 2 of the sessions and then run and the back-up car and get it qualified? LOL :rolleyes:

Personally I think the rule is fine the way it is. Its to bad the car was damaged to badly to compete I have a feeling if Robert could have run the outcome would have been different in the final!
I'm still stoked for Mike and the Toroco guy's they have been a pretty consistant team that were way overdue.

I know in the sportsman ranks, If you crash at 190mph they cut the harnesses...if theres a scratch on the helmet...it gets destroyed. One stressed weld or cracked wheel or even the caster or camber being off could cause castrophic results.

Either let them have a back up chassis...or stop them from putting a damaged chassis back in the race.....

I know in the sportsman ranks, If you crash at 190mph they cut the harnesses...if theres a scratch on the helmet...it gets destroyed. One stressed weld or cracked wheel or even the caster or camber being off could cause castrophic results.

Either let them have a back up chassis...or stop them from putting a damaged chassis back in the race.....
Maybe I'm mistaken but I could have sworn that's what John Force said as well... Maybe the car was safe maybe it wasn't. It sounded to me like John wants the rules changed one way or the other.

They should have peeled the sticker off the chassis the second it quit burning.

You touch the wall, you're done. That's how it should be.

If I hit the wall, i'd be elbow deep in the beer cooler.

With the watered down points system, it's not that big a deal. He's going to make it for sure, so why thrash for a couple more potential rounds.

Maybe Team Force should take that damaged chassis, and hook a practice tree to the foot pedal and stick it and Ashley in the corner of the shop for a few hours each day. Work on those consistent .12X lights. :D

Why was a crashed car even alllowed to tow back into the lanes without a thorough going over by tech? isnt that a bit... dangerous ??

On second thought leave the rule alone. you crash you lose.

Post of the day! what about the chassis cert If I hit the wall I dont think they would let me go back and rebuild the car the same day and have it re-certed right then.

Let the rule stand cus NHRA wants to be like nascrap and you crash there you lose. PERIOD! :cool:

Last edited:
I just wonder if NHRA officials knew if Hight was going to run the car or not? Or if Force or Prock told them that it was all for show?

IMO, there should have been no way that Hight should have been allowed to run that chassis. Was it checked for cracks (magnafluxed)? With the big thrash going on I really doubt it that they really checked the frame for straightness. And even if it was straight, could they say that there were no cracks in the frame?

With that type of crash a team should be allowed to use another frame. I'm sure the replacement chassis was not some trick piece or they would have been using it for the prior rounds.

Bye runs? They happen but they are rare. I could care less if the crowd would rather see two cars racing...who wouldn't? These things happen and I'm sure the Topeka fans understood.

Unfair to the teams with fewer $$$? Sure is. But then the BIG teams have a big advantage over the smaller teams in every other area too.

That's my take on it.

There has/is some good discussion here. If you look at the evolution of the sport, a spare car(s) may come into play in the eliminations (just like changing bodies has). However, I agree with Tony RE a heavy foot, 85%, and rev limiter cause alot extra problems (2 of the 3 can be fixed w/ rules). I have begun to wonder if that car is a test bed for 1000 ft racing.

It seems to me that NHRA had a rule that if you dumped something on the track (oil/fuel) anywhere on the track before the finish line you were disqualified. It appeared to me that it kicked the rods before the finish line so he should of been disqualified for that reason if there is a rule stating that. Anyone have rule book handy?

I do agree, leave the rule as it stands. No replacement cars allowed. Extend the cross the centerline/ hit the wall rule past the finish line. The only time you should be able to move into the other person's lane is when you have to swing out to make the turn off and you were directed to do so by the person working the turnoff area.

Also, they need to start disqualifying these pros if they are seen on camera unbuckling prior to the car reaching the turn off. I don't care if it is your first win in a pro category.

Last edited:
no swapping a AAA for a Castrol, the car has to look the same for all 4 rounds..

Rival teams have actually crossed bodies before. As a kid I remember one year at Indy I think it was Billy Meyer blew a body off and borrowed Kenny Bernsteins for the final.

I have to agree that there are some very well thought out posts regarding this issue, but to play “Devils Advocate” I have to pose a question:

What if they are allowed to pre tech a spare chassis, just the chassis tubing, no wiring, plumbing, suspension, rear axle, brakes, etc? Essentially they would be in the same position as yesterday at Topeka, 75 minutes to get the chassis unloaded and “build” a new car. The only difference would be NHRA and the other competitors would know the chassis was not compromised.

For the record, I am in favor of the if you crash, you’re done until the chassis is recertified rule, this hybrid rule they have now is good for television drama but not racing.

It seems to me that NHRA had a rule that if you dumped something on the track (oil/fuel) anywhere on the track before the finish line you were disqualified. It appeared to me that it kicked the rods before the finish line so he should of been disqualified for that reason if there is a rule stating that. Anyone have rule book handy?

I do agree, leave the rule as it stands. No replacement cars allowed. Extend the cross the centerline/ hit the wall rule past the finish line. The only time you should be able to move into the other person's lane is when you have to swing out to make the turn off and you were directed to do so by the person working the turnoff area.

Also, they need to start disqualifying these pros if they are seen on camera unbuckling prior to the car reaching the turn off. I don't care if it is your first win in a pro category.

Now why would you let them be disqualfied after the race is over? I mean it is after the finish line, and nothing else counts anymore (unless you're leaking fluid)

And they stated last year, that if they seen anybody unblucking or anything (Pro or Sportsman), that they would not be disqualified but fined

The rules as they are need to stay.No other racing allows a car change(basically what you are doing) after it's wrecked,you either fix it or go home.

If the goal is to make safer cars then the rule needs to be changed. Either allow a second car to be tech'd or if somebody hits the wall then they're out.

In the heat of battle and with sponsor demands people may not make the best judgement call. As a sanctioning body nhra needs to make it for them in this case. I've never really liked this rule but its so rarely needed.

Personally I'd like to see a second car be allowed in. As far as comparing it to other forms of racing its apples and oranges. The race doesn't stop in nascar or Indy stuff. Here we have 75 minutes to bring a safe car back to the line.

With all the fires John's been through over the years, I don't understand why this rule has to be changed now? I wonder how many other racers would get 5 minutes of TV time to vent their opinions about the rules and what changes they deem neccessary???:rolleyes:

Well if they do change it, they dont need to change it for John. They need to change it because, it is the safe and right decision.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back