Is 1000ft. any safer or better than 1320? (1 Viewer)

Patrick, I will respond in full soon. I do have a point to make, you say changing the combinations (drastically by your words) Do you not realize that such changes are going to cost not only teams in America money, but it will cost racers in Australia and Europe. Did you ever think about that? The changes you want made are going to put a lot of people out of pocket. Maybe you could fund everyone?

Brian, you are correct. The Fastest speed ever was at BIR, 337+

The national record was 336+ set at Columbus. Shoe never ran 337 anywhere else.

That sucks, that's the one year we couldn't pull the money together to get up there, and we miss (although un-backed) the fastest speed of all time (and ever will be)

I may be wrong, but I thought the rev limiters were in place when Shoe ran 337 at Brainerd. If I remember correctly, the rev limiters were on a timer, so they'd only be effective after 4.5 seconds into the run or something like that. So if you were running 4.49 or quicker you were actually beating the rev limiter.

I may be wrong, but I thought the rev limiters were in place when Shoe ran 337 at Brainerd. If I remember correctly, the rev limiters were on a timer, so they'd only be effective after 4.5 seconds into the run or something like that. So if you were running 4.49 or quicker you were actually beating the rev limiter.

The time was closer to 3 seconds, and it kicked on at a certain RPM range. Past 8200 or whatever it was, it would take out so many degrees per second in declining intervals.

In theory you could run a 4.10 1/4 mile and as long as you stay under on RPMs never have it come on.

Last edited:
Why do you think NHRA accepted nitro racing all those years ago? It wasn't because Wally had a change of heart, it was because AHRA was hurting the revenue. That's all they (NHRA) has ever understood.

The AHRA was going to completely derail the NHRA and they knew if they did not lift the ban no one was gonna show up as some pretty awful Indy showings took place. Once the ban was lifted NHRA grew and AHRA eventually went out.

Patrick, I will respond in full soon. I do have a point to make, you say changing the combinations (drastically by your words) Do you not realize that such changes are going to cost not only teams in America money, but it will cost racers in Australia and Europe. Did you ever think about that? The changes you want made are going to put a lot of people out of pocket. Maybe you could fund everyone?

Any change that the NHRA has made to what mechanics and rules run these classes have cost teams money. I bet going to 1000 feet cost teams money. Going back to 1320 of course will cost teams money, but as we been exploring there has to be ways it can be done that not right away, but in the long run will save money. Maybe less pistons a weekend, less tire replacements, Parts that are used now that can last much longer than 4-6 runs. It's what low budget teams do now, they use the same parts the big boys use, but longer instead of swapping them out. All the teams that can run 3.70's have you noticed are teams that have the money to throw parts away before their life is done. 1320 will not even be a problem with financials for about all of the top 10.

This sport can go back to 1320 can these cars can be slowed down with even little changes that can save money. Why dont we fix the attitude that running a tf of fc team has to be able to run at maximum power of nothing. This is not a sport that can run as quick as technology allows anymore, we need to return to just the basics of what the class was founded on and take it from there

Here is the the committee I would form to consult for the best and most economical way to slow the cars down. NHRA should fund this and be in a support role only. These people are a wealth of knowledge and should be utilized for the betterment of the sport.

Don Garlits - start with Big Daddy for the rational side of things.
Dale Armstrong - for his innovation and talent.
Dick LaHaie - for his independent ideas and running his own team for years, then working for the biggest teams.
Don Prudhomme - for his vision and ownership history and working with major sponsors.
Whit Bazemore - former small team owner, driver, and a younger view with no ties to anyone.

Let these people assemble a complete team and direct the testing to come up with a way to use current parts yet keep costs down as much as possible.

Then, keep NHRA, DSR, JFR, AJ, etc, all the manufactures and anyone connected with the current status quo out of the testing and meetings.

Let this group make the final recommendations and live with it.

Remember, the drivers and cars are the Stars, not the "freak show" numbers we are so obsessed with.

This sport can go back to 1320 can these cars can be slowed down with even little changes that can save money. Why dont we fix the attitude that running a tf of fc team has to be able to run at maximum power of nothing. This is not a sport that can run as quick as technology allows anymore, we need to return to just the basics of what the class was founded on and take it from there

That is why I think e should go back to 1320, 95% nitro, and change the rules so you have to run the same engine block, crank and heads you qualify with. You'd only be allowed rod,piston, bearing and sleeve changes. The crew chiefs would have to run smarter not just harder.

Why do you think Alan Johnson was a genius? He was the only crew chief I can think of that just did not run the car to the limit, his R&D made it so his limit was much more advanced that anyone else's limit.

They can slow the cars down in time for Q1 at Phoenix. 50 gpm pump; 20% blower OD. 'F' amount of fuel plus 'A' amount of air = 'P' power output. They can run a 413 or an 813. The engine won't put out more power than the amount of A/F that's introduced into it. Good for some FC 4.8s @300, TF 4.6s @310. At 1320 feet. Considering the improved quality, parts at that power level should last considerably longer than they do today. Leave the nitro percentage alone or even raise it; everyone loves the cackle and would miss it terribly if it were reduced or eliminated.

They don't, and they won't, because the drivers and owners are satisfied, although not universally so, with what they're running right now. If they start complaining, we'll see something. Unfortunately, us Keyboard Kowboys don't carry a lot of weight with the NHRA brass.

Last edited:
Here is the the committee I would form to consult for the best and most economical way to slow the cars down. NHRA should fund this and be in a support role only. These people are a wealth of knowledge and should be utilized for the betterment of the sport.

Don Garlits - start with Big Daddy for the rational side of things.
Dale Armstrong - for his innovation and talent.
Dick LaHaie - for his independent ideas and running his own team for years, then working for the biggest teams.
Don Prudhomme - for his vision and ownership history and working with major sponsors.
Whit Bazemore - former small team owner, driver, and a younger view with no ties to anyone.

Let these people assemble a complete team and direct the testing to come up with a way to use current parts yet keep costs down as much as possible.

Then, keep NHRA, DSR, JFR, AJ, etc, all the manufactures and anyone connected with the current status quo out of the testing and meetings.

Let this group make the final recommendations and live with it.

Remember, the drivers and cars are the Stars, not the "freak show" numbers we are so obsessed with.

Now I'm not saying any of those listed are not legends and know alot, But really, when was any of them involved with a current car. As an example: non of them raced current 1000 ft tracks.:confused:

Never happen, sorry. This is not how crew chiefs are wired. Win lights are nice, but they're driven by what's on the scoreboard/timeslip. Their constant goal is to run quicker EVERY run, not that it repeted.

"There is no substitute for cubic MONEY".

Never happen, sorry. This is not how crew chiefs are wired. Win lights are nice, but they're driven by what's on the scoreboard/timeslip. Their constant goal is to run quicker EVERY run, not that it repeted.

"There is no substitute for cubic MONEY".

Understandably so and I agree and know that's what they are paid to do. Couldn't they still get the same satisfaction knowing that "wow are limit is 4.60, i ran a 4.60 every place." Not one crew chief will be able to repeat 8 4.600's in a row. I believe that would drive a crew chief to try and run a 4.6000 each time, and i dont see it happening so there thrill is still there. I love to see it if i'm wrong.

Why havent Top Fuel and Funny Car been relegated to the same limits the jet cars have been dealt? Jet cars have had a speed limit for a number of years and also no longer are allowed to have an actual elimination ladder due to supposed safety issues of going too fast...

Why havent Top Fuel and Funny Car been relegated to the same limits the jet cars have been dealt? Jet cars have had a speed limit for a number of years and also no longer are allowed to have an actual elimination ladder due to supposed safety issues of going too fast...

Funny story, I was at a jet run once where a driver went well above the limit. OPPS the announcers were tripping over themselves trying to explain away the timing glitch.

Having a number of friends who tune Fuel cars, I can tell you now that they would not get much satisfaction in going backwards.

Yes, But either see it as an agreeable body or be forced, everyone know's it's coming. Why not agree on something that takes step back from the NHRA/Crew Chiefs/Drivers then this worse way: Whatever the NHRA forces the teams to do will be worse than if they started all collaborating ideas now.

You wanna run 4.60 1320's or 3.90 maybe 950 lol. You may laugh, but give it a year a 2, it will be considered to make it shorter than 1000. 1320 is a win in any choked out way.

-
Yes, But either see it as an agreeable body or be forced, everyone know's it's coming. Why not agree on something that takes step back from the NHRA/Crew Chiefs/Drivers then this worse way: Whatever the NHRA forces the teams to do will be worse than if they started all collaborating ideas now.

You wanna run 4.60 1320's or 3.90 maybe 950 lol. You may laugh, but give it a year a 2, it will be considered to make it shorter than 1000. 1320 is a win in any choked out way.

Just take it to 660, where Wally said said he wished he had put it in an interview way back in the mid '70's... Many people thought 230 was way too fast during that time frame (69-73)

If a 'quarter' means so much, run them a 1/4' kilometer... :D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back