Is 1000ft. any safer or better than 1320? (1 Viewer)

Rat

Nitro Member
I believe if there is no push for a return to 1320 it's never gonna happen, we need 1320 back. You want more people to go to national events? You want more people to watch on tv? 1320 is what the sport was founded on and it should never be done away with. Yes, I understand the NHRA has never said they are going to ban 1320, I even had hope when they did all the testing last year. What have we heard publicly about the NHRA efforts to return to 1320 one day, in 2011? NOTHING

Supporters can say, "better racing, tighter MOV's." To me it's still like it was when you really THINK about it. The same teams that can pull a close 1000ft race are the same teams that can pull a close 1320. You see the same seperation of performance as always whether 1000 or 1320, there are teams that can run that numbers within hundreds and teams that are a tenth off. The racing is only tighter because everyone has to call it a day at 1000ft. I want the days back where a crew chief had to look at the whole picture.

Del's 3.73, Hagan's 3.99, these cars are set up so differently that they might not even last the final 320 feet. I want crew chiefs to once again put up a beautiful number by knowing they have to last the whole 1320. The sport's no safer, the crew chiefs have mastered 1000ft and it took just over 3 years to see the nitro increments in tf and fc back to the level that we restricted them for. Instead of having timebombs to 1320 we now have timebombs to 1000ft. We should go back to 1320 even if we are in the 5's again and performance would be back as always in time and no track would be ever be to short.

4.40's/330 to fast? ok, keep turning back the clock. Every few years implement new rules to keep the cars no faster than let's say 4.60. A 4.60 is a 3.90. All you guys wanna talk about safety, a 3.73 to a thousand foot is no saver than a 4.420 to 1320. Both those runs can spell disaster if it's 1000 feet or 1320. The sport is at knock em dead performance expectations for tf and fc for the first time since the 1000ft rule. What happens when 1000ft is to fast? This is not impossible, we keep going the course these cars will break the 337 we were worried about. This year alone I think we gained 5-6 MPH!

We need to return to 1320 and rev limiters and restricter plates are not the answer, Just make some rules on part limits and let everyone start over with a combination rule that puts them back at let's say 5.10's. Don't let teams craft and use technology to get back to 4.40's let them get back to 4.60's.

I'm not buying 1320 is not gonna happen because "a select few in control" said so. You find me the group of drivers for it and i'll give you a bigger group that want 1320 back.

Que the beating a dead horse picture......

Popcorn-10-George-Costanza.gif

Patrick, you're seriously beating a dead horse. If the owners, crew chiefs and racers wanted it back so bad we would have been back by now. The facts are the crew chiefs like it, the racers enjoy it. The only ones not enjoying it are people like yourself who constantly sulk over it. So why you and the others continue sulking, ill continue to enjoy some excellent racing and performance.

Paul, Mike, this is an educated discussion and if I want to make it a thread and let people see it and contribute, i'm free to do so. You guys have NOTHING to contribute but to tell me it's a dead horse. So I invite you to leave the thread. Was the title not a hint to what it was about? Thanks for the advice, that horse is perfectly alive!

Patrick, you're seriously beating a dead horse. If the owners, crew chiefs and racers wanted it back so bad we would have been back by now. The facts are the crew chiefs like it, the racers enjoy it. The only ones not enjoying it are people like yourself who constantly sulk over it. So why you and the others continue sulking, ill continue to enjoy some excellent racing and performance.

The bold part of your comment is debatable. For example: The 1000 foot race course has almost eliminated "come-from-behind" wins. If two cars spin their tires, it's almost always the guy who spins them second that gets the win.

Also, keep in mind that not all drivers, owners and crew chiefs like 1000 foot racing. Just because they don't come out and publicly say they hate it doesn't automatically mean they like it.

And lastly, just because you like 1000 foot racing doesn't mean everyone has to like it.

Sign me up for the guy who would rather see 1320 with adjusted parts, than 1000-ft.

Rapid

I want to start by saying I am NOT speaking for the NHRA, this is simply my observation.

If you wanted to go back to 4.90s at 290ish all you need to do is allow AFD clutch and fuel management. Do you really want to turn the clock back that far?

Alan

Patrick I understand yer pain, tradition and all. But besides lowering the speeds, it preserved several tracks. Many tracks are land locked, they can't buy more land for shut down area. Under todays rules TF would be at or near 350mph. Going to 1,000ft gave them the added room they needed. NHRA keeps adding weight so it takes longer to stop them.

Your idea about slowing Nitro to 5.1's sounds good at first, but that opens another can of worms. TAD is running 5 teens and 20's. NHRA likes a big gap between sportsman and Pro's. So then we would have to slow the alky cars costing them big $$$.

1,000ft, much like the countdown, is here to stay sir. We may not like it, but...

I have total confidence in our crew chiefs, ET's will continue to fall - MPH will continue to raise.

I want to start by saying I am NOT speaking for the NHRA, this is simply my observation.

If you wanted to go back to 4.90s at 290ish all you need to do is allow AFD clutch and fuel management. Do you really want to turn the clock back that far?

Alan

Alan,

I don't want to add cost/additional parts to any other class. I would like to see the top fuel and funnycars adjusted so they can run 1320. Whatever speed and ET that requires so be it. JMO

Paul, weight it a killer on these cars. Your statement that 1000 and clown down are here to stay are probably correct, but we don't need to like it. ;)

Rapid

I say go back to 1320 the way the cars are now,shortening the track for scott wouldnt have made any diffrence at all. Look At bert jackson they only raced to 1/8 mile. If a driver thinks its to dangerous then step out and let some1 else drive,sorry just my 2 pennys.

I'm fine with how it is. I saw some of the best racing of my life at the US Nationals this year. Running to 1,000' instead of 1320' didn't change that any.

Let the teams keep innovating and run them to 1,000'. Fine with me!

Randy, the ONLY thing I hate more than the "clown down" is the Fri. top 12 rule. How nhra can justify NOT counting a run when you pass tech, just because you do it on Fri. instead of Sat. I just don't get???

Didn't Alexis fail to qualify because of this rule??

As far as the argument that there are tracks that aren't safe for 300-mph. 2-things come to mind. 1st, if a car or tuneup is outdated and can't perform it is shelved for a new model. Why is a track any different???

2nd, are we sure that parachutes are the best method to stop the cars? They have the computing power in a race pac I bet to use an anti-loc brake channel. Maybe they need 3-chutes to gain the track slow down length.

Neither of these ideas may be worthwhile to explore. But, really are we positive with no doubt that we are stopping the cars in the best method possible?

Just asking,

Rapid

I believe racing to 1000ft is safer without question...do I like it? No not really but I can deal with it.

Do I think we will ever go back to 1320ft in NHRA nitro racing? It will never go back...period.

Just my .02

Randy, the ONLY thing I hate more than the "clown down" is the Fri. top 12 rule. How nhra can justify NOT counting a run when you pass tech, just because you do it on Fri. instead of Sat. I just don't get???

Didn't Alexis fail to qualify because of this rule??
If you are so stuck on the World Champs and tradition, why not go back all the way and just name the winner of the NHRA Finals the champ.

Face it, the COUNTdown and 1000' racing are here to stay. All the complaining coming from here will not change it.

Well guys and gals, I don't think this is going to ever happen, until someone HUGE ( like PepsiCo, Coke biggest competitor ) steps up and sponsor's the IHRA. Then PepisCo makes all the events 1/4 mile drag racing in all classes and makes the pay outs for winning, pay out a bigger pile of dollar bills than the NHRA. Once the teams and the fans start flocking over to the IHRA, and it starts hurting the NHRA pocket book, then you might see a change, but until something like that happens, it will continue to be the same old song and dance. It's sad but, money talks!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back