Shirley and 1320 Racing (1 Viewer)

I don’t believe most of the racers want it to go back. It never will. This was a quote from John Force many years ago…..

"If they go back and something happens, they've got a big problem."

That right there says it all.

Shirley is one the greats of our sport, as we all know. And it's really good to see her at some of the NHRA Big Show events. But boy, she can still be a bit chippy at times.

Case in point, a few years ago she was at Pomona signing autographs, and I waited until for a brief moment there was no one else around, and I asked her if she had any good Poncho Rendon stories. I had always been curious about the guy as there are many photos of him on Don Ewald's WDIFL site. Evidently quite a character as he was pretty short and quite overweight. He seemed to be a big part of the "Michigan Mafia" of the early '70's, including Connie Kalitta, Dick LaHaie, Tom Prock, and Shirley. It was Poncho's front-driver TF wedge that Connie crashed on it's first pass at Indy. And Shirley drove a front-driver TF car for Poncho in the early '70's as well. I don't ever read or hear much about him other than on Don's site, so I thought she might have a good story or two about the guy. But she gave me a stern look and said "Oh, no, I'm not going to go there".

I was taken aback, as I thought she might have some fond memories of him. But I have to assume there must be a back story there that I am not aware of, as she did not seem to like that I even brought up his name.
Bobby ( Poncho ) signed her fuel licenses.
I have a Poncho story for you, ( Drivers are like spark plugs, You burn one out you unscrew him out and screw a new one in. ) Poncho around 1974 at Tri-city Dragway.

Is it really all or nothing - why not run to the quarter mile at a few tracks that can handle it, and keep it at 1000’ everywhere else? Makes it complicated and probably more expensive, but wouldn’t it add some variety and interest (like having different types of tracks in every other form of motor sports)?

Is it really all or nothing - why not run to the quarter mile at a few tracks that can handle it, and keep it at 1000’ everywhere else? Makes it complicated and probably more expensive, but wouldn’t it add some variety and interest (like having different types of tracks in every other form of motor sports)?
That would require two completely different combinations for each car.
The costs are already astronomical for just the 1000’ combination. Add a 1320’ combination and the costs will probably increase exponentially.

the lift boom killed scott,not the track

I was there. The way he was going, if the lift boom had not been there, he would have gone through the chain link fence, across Pension Road and hit a tree.

I was there. The way he was going, if the lift boom had not been there, he would have gone through the chain link fence, across Pension Road and hit a tree.
The supreme irony being the car blew up and quit running at 1,000 feet, which somewhat invalidates the "1,000 ft. is safer" argument. Reality is with no chutes and no brakes, it's going to end badly anywhere.

Last edited:
put a cable across the track just past the stripe and a hook on the back of the car
one for each lane have it in the ground where it has a giant spring that it pushes
with a giant hydraulic ram to slow it down and also a catch can for the drivers
eye balls on the dash... 🤔
Works on aircraft carriers! (tailhooks) :D

Ya know, I really do like the idea of 1/4 mile, 1000' and 1/8 mile at nat'l events. I think each type of event would do well in certain parts of the country. There are some really good 1/8 mile tracks that could hold a Nat'l event, like maybe Xtreme Raceway Park in Texas, or Galot, just as examples. You can almost hear "300 MPH IN 2.8 SECONDS!!!!!" And I think that would draw a good crowd. Same with 1/4 mile racing DRAG RACING AS IT SHOULD BE! (heh) I dunno the answers but having the Names at different length tracks could draw more spectators. I wish NHRA would give it a try. Who knows?

What do you think the 1/4 et and MPH would be if they went to a 3.55:1 rear gear ratio and kept the Rev Limiter the same?
Seeing the car goes straight to 8500 when stomping the gas, I don’t see any benefit.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back