Health of the NHRA.... (1 Viewer)

I don't get this exciting agrument people make. It's fake, its manufactured. I guess I just don't liek getting played.

I think it would be more exciting to just draw a name out of a hat to pick the season champ. Ya know some people think crashes are more exciting(that seems to be the only mainstream tv coverage we get) should we lessen safety rules to add more crash excitement? Nascars has the occasional "emotional outburst" from time to time. Should we enourage our drivers to get in each others faces more? What about going back to 4 cars across, a little bumping as they go down the track? How about we allow people to cross at half track. Can they get across in time?
Now all of these would bring some level of excitement but that doesn't make them right.

Like I've said before you don't sell out the integrity of the sport, bastardize the championship, just to supposedly gain fans. If they are swayed but such silly smoke and mirrors then they are not real fans and will not be around long. You do a better job promoting the sport and the drivers, bringing fans into the realness of the sport. Nascar has seen their numbers drop steadily since the inception of their chase. We can not afford such losses.

The championship is meaningless now, the top 10 used to be one of the special things about our sport but now since it was capped at race 17, it too has lost significance.

Torco Racing Fuel's Competition Plus.com - Drag Racing's Internet Magazine - WHO NEEDS A COUNTDOWN?

Newly appointed IHRA PR director Mike Perry says that these last-race championship battles is proof positive that the old gather points as you go format still works in drag racing.

“We like to reward consistency throughout the season, where it is always possible for someone to catch fire during the season and for them to have a hot-streak for a number of races,” Perry said. “Our champion is usually the driver that is the most consistent from the start until the finish of the season.”

At least there is a sanctioning body out there that still gets it

Torco Racing Fuel's Competition Plus.com - Drag Racing's Internet Magazine - WHO NEEDS A COUNTDOWN?“We like to reward consistency throughout the season, where it is always possible for someone to catch fire during the season and for them to have a hot-streak for a number of races,” Perry said. “Our champion is usually the driver that is the most consistent from the start until the finish of the season.”

I am reserving my judgment until the season ends. But who, of the remaining 16 in the countdown, has not been consistent all year? Who has limped into the countdown to 8 and also the countdown to 4 and doesn't deserve it? Who has been better and deserves a shot at the championship, but because of the new format has been left out?
I am not disagreeing that some of the countdown format needs changed, but a lot of your arguments are not very strong. I respect your opinion, but unless you are able to see through a crystal ball, the title has not even been awarded yet. Anyone who had the points lead heading into Indy should win the championship, IF they remained consistent. If you win some races before Indy and none in the countdown, do you deserve a championship? If you say yes, wouldn't that go against the argument of saying 'they have been consistent all year?'

The championship is meaningless now, the top 10 used to be one of the special things about our sport but now since it was capped at race 17, it too has lost significance.

What if $1,000,000 was to be awarded to the driver that finishes in 9th place. Would that make the championship less meaningless? This would be similar to what Nascar does? Now, I know it couldn't be $1,000,000, the champion doesn't get anwhere close to that. But, would a reasonable $ amount create a little more exposure for those drivers who are not 'in the countdown?'
As far as Top 10 being special to NHRA drag racing. How is it special to NHRA exaclty? A banquet, a meal, or a trophy for finshing 10th out of 20 or so?
If I was able to look through the same crystal ball that you do, I would predict that the NHRA/HD will create some type of reward system for those that do not make the countdown. Soemthing for the drivers and the sponsors. They will create something to encourage racing to continue and influence the countdown even more. If revenues truly are up 10-15% over last year, something that has changed is working. A more true measure of this years' success will easily be evaluated when '08 numbers start to come in.

Torco Racing Fuel's Competition Plus.com - Drag Racing's Internet Magazine - WHO NEEDS A COUNTDOWN?

Newly appointed IHRA PR director Mike Perry says that these last-race championship battles is proof positive that the old gather points as you go format still works in drag racing......................
Looks like you need to be posting over here then PJ..............
http://www.nitromater.com/ihra/

The effect on the top 10. Right now Del and Melanie would have both jumped up above #8. In fact I believe Melanie would be 6th and only 4 points out of 5th. I have alwasy thought one of our great traditions was bearing that number on your car next season. Be it 1 or 10. Now with spots 1-8 being secure after the 17th race it cheapens whoever carries those numbers next year. Also as for a bonus, would they pay Melanie more for the special finish in 9th then they would for finishing 5th or 6th?

As far as consistent I posted that link more out to point out the dig that IHRA threw and of course that I liked. Unless the person who has the most points over the entire season wins the championships then its a sham. Right now in pro stock it should be Greg vs Dave. With Dave's late season charge he would rightfully be within 28 points of Greg. This is one of the greatest comebacks but no one sees it because the countdown has given them points twice. Now if either of them slip up the last 2 races then AJ or Jeg steal the championship and as much as I like those guys it just not right.

Top Fuel should be between Rod and Dixon,

Capps should be 67 points ahead of Hight trying to finally grab his first title, yet now he is in 4th and had to go to the wire to get that. Sadly it is likely that he will score the most points this season and not win the championship. I can't help but wonder if that had any role in Brut's decision to step back their sponsorship.

its not a matter of who is in that shouldn't be or who is not that should be. Its a matter that they have taken the championship and instead of making it about a season of greatness and turned it into a race for welfare race for luck.

I would imagine that they will change something about it this offseason. This is why the schedule for next year doesn't mention it yet. I would hope that they have seen the light and will just scrap the whole thing but I fear they'll monkey with it more first. Wont that be great in 10 years when we think back to past championships, we'll have to remember which year it was to know which points systems were used to crown somebody.

After Nascars initial increase in their first year of the chase, they have dropped every year since.

Someone mentioned that in that poll it is the die hard fans so it doesn't cound. While I agree that it is more than likely the diehard fans that hate this (or even know or care about it) I would argue that we, as die hards, are the ones watching every race, going to not only one but multiple races each year, are members of nhra. Is some newbie fan going to have that about of dedication and financial input into the series? We also are more then likely to sponsor companies that support racing. I the purchaser for work and a company I buy from had their flyer show up with the countdown logo on it. It went straight to the trash....much like I wish the countdown would

premis: statistics are showing the new points has helped increase
brand awareness, revenue, attendance and TV ratings.
this 'new' wrinkle was implemented and has not tampered with:
- the performance of the vehicles
- the expenses of the teams, track owners, sanctioning body
- the physical properties of the venues
- the financial structure (entrance fees/payouts/admissions)
- the length of event/s
- the status quo TV broadcasting of events

in liu of the 'new points' - please suggest another 'wrinkle' that could be
implemented that would help 'grow' the sport/entertainment while not
disturbing the infrastructure already in place?

Classic fallacy - just because things are trending upward does not mean that the upward trend is caused by recent changes. The upward trend could easily be "despite" rather than "because of."

NASCAR made changes while already on an upward trend, now that trend has turned around as the fickle move on to the next "greatest thing."

NHRA claimed to be on an upward trend before this this year's experiment - is it just momentum, or did the change really cause things to get better?

Just like NASCAR, anyone attracted because of the current "excitement" will move on in a year or two, seeking more excitement elsewhere. Reality TV shows were all the rage, now they occupy the bottom of the ratings. Wrestling was all the rage, now it occupies the bottom of the ratings. NASCAR was all the rage, now it's on a downward spiral. Hype and phoney dramatics don't build much long-term loyalty. Once the adrenaline rush is over, it's time to move on.

I will say this again, the sky is not falling and the NHRA will crown champions no matter what we think about the Countdown or who you might think the real champion is. We can go back and forth on why we like or do not like the Countdown, but with recent trends in sports and entertainment the Countdown is here to stay.

This anti Countdown stuff has CLEARLY crossed the line over to hysteria.

You can see the desperation building.

Any Racer that has stated he or she "LIKES" the new format is lying and involved in a conspiracy.

Any upswing in attendance is not at all related to the new format.

Capps will not win the championship.

Most people hate it.

It WILL destroy the sport...........

Fine.........OK...........substansiate(sp?) it :)

I am still waiting and seeing for myself.

I like the Countdown format. A lot of people I know do too.

And PJ.........I have been attending races AND racing..........longer by far than you have been breathing..........................

So I guess that makes me "casual":cool:

REX

Newly appointed IHRA PR director Mike Perry says that these last-race championship battles is proof positive that the old gather points as you go format still works in drag racing.

“We like to reward consistency throughout the season, where it is always possible for someone to catch fire during the season and for them to have a hot-streak for a number of races,” Perry said. “Our champion is usually the driver that is the most consistent from the start until the finish of the season.”

Oh yeah, and they are certainly setting the world on fire:cool:

REX

Like I've said numerous times.

Don't watch or follow NHRA racing if it bothers you all so much.

I personally would not watch or post here(in the NHRA section.......I would be taking the high road and promoting and boosting the IHRA)..... nor pay any attention at all......life is too short to bitch about something incessantly.

It ain't a fart in a hurricane either way to me anyhow.

If it goes back to the old way..........BTW..........the "Old Way:cool:" was the divisionals meeting at the finals in Pomona and the winner took all there........

"If"............and thats a BIG IF...........the countdown is scrapped it will be because it will clearly be tied to the "Bottom Line"...........$$$$$$$

If it does well then get in yer' bess complainin' duds........and prepare to wail awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy for a lonnnnnnnng time :D

REX

Last edited:
for claiming you don't care much you sure spend as much time on here talking about it as those of us who hate it do.

As for IHRA my home track is IHRA I spend several days a year there. I also have 2 Ihra national events in my back yard then I try to take in.

and what does length of time attending races have to do with this... I must have missed the point. Oh and for the record first race was in 1975,,, granted I was 6 weeks old so I don't remember much until the Pop hot Rod meets in the early 80's and my first Indy in '82. :)

So by your logic I should not complain about anything, whatever the nhra says is gold and if I don't like it I should leave? So if they decide to drop classes, change rules, add races, take away races, change networks, chnage to 1/8 mile. Nobody is allowed to have a negative opinion?? Not sure if you live in a fairy tale world or if you just like drinking the Kool-Aid

for claiming you don't care much you sure spend as much time on here talking about it as those of us who hate it do.

As for IHRA my home track is IHRA I spend several days a year there. I also have 2 Ihra national events in my back yard then I try to take in.

and what does length of time attending races have to do with this... I must have missed the point. Oh and for the record first race was in 1975,,, granted I was 6 weeks old so I don't remember much until the Pop hot Rod meets in the early 80's and my first Indy in '82. :)

So by your logic I should not complain about anything, whatever the nhra says is gold and if I don't like it I should leave? So if they decide to drop classes, change rules, add races, take away races, change networks, chnage to 1/8 mile. Nobody is allowed to have a negative opinion?? Not sure if you live in a fairy tale world or if you just like drinking the Kool-Aid

you know what PJ???

I do not care. I like the new system. If it goes.......ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz:cool:

Who the F...K said you could not have a opinion...............??:confused:

Knock yerself out. You just might with a stroke.............

Ya' know what also???

I have not called anyone a single name over this......I have been called (by innuendo) and directly BY YOU just now........."living in a fairy tale world"...........and "drinking Kool-Aid"............WTF?????

Because I don't agree with you and the "Mob"????

ROTFLMAO

I have been referred to (indirectly and directly) as......."stupid"......."Foolish".........."Idiotic"..........all over this stuff.

And I have not responded in kind.

I like the format 'cause I like it.

And I will take the high road here and still act like a civil adult, you apparently cannot handle that...........

REX

you know what PJ???

I do not care. I like the new system. If it goes.......ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz:cool:

Who the F...K said you could not have a opinion...............??:confused:

Knock yerself out. You just might with a stroke.............

Ya' know what also???

I have not called anyone a single name over this......I have been called (by innuendo) and directly BY YOU just now........."living in a fairy tale world"...........and "drinking Kool-Aid"............WTF?????

Because I don't agree with you and the "Mob"????

ROTFLMAO

I have been referred to (indirectly and directly) as......."stupid"......."Foolish".........."Idiotic"..........all over this stuff.

And I have not responded in kind.

I like the format 'cause I like it.

And I will take the high road here and still act like a civil adult, you apparently cannot handle that...........

REX

Wow...I gotta admit that was funny to read.

I had a long thoughtout response typed but decided why. We've commented in the same manner back and forth. I didn't think that there was anything uncivil on my part or yours for that matter. I made a living in a fairy tale reference and you talk about people getting their underwear in wad or having strokes. I wouldn't think anyone could take either as uncivil or name calling in fact it seemed tame to me. We were trying to make a point, with humor even.

I've debated this issue with other people and haven't had any hard feelings. We agree to disagree.

Since I appear to hurt your feelings I will attempt to leave you alone. Good day

Wow...I gotta admit that was funny to read.

I had a long thoughtout response typed but decided why. We've commented in the same manner back and forth. I didn't think that there was anything uncivil on my part or yours for that matter. I made a living in a fairy tale reference and you talk about people getting their underwear in wad or having strokes. I wouldn't think anyone could take either as uncivil or name calling in fact it seemed tame to me. We were trying to make a point, with humor even.

I've debated this issue with other people and haven't had any hard feelings. We agree to disagree.

Since I appear to hurt your feelings I will attempt to leave you alone. Good day

Read these threads and tell me there has been no name calling:cool:

Did I say by you as far as the name calling as a whole?

I pointed to your specific post. the end of the final paragraph.

Reading comprehension is apparently not a strong suit of yours perhaps?

My feelings are not hurt by this, I am 52 years young and have had
greater issues than this come across my bow.

Where have I cried a river? Seriously.

Just offering my opinion.

Really PJ..........and I mean no offense by this, you and this whole deal are not the focus of my life. -.00001 on my personal richter scale.

I respond to this either when I am bored or feel like it. And it is my freedom within bounds of civility to do so once or twice or ten thousand times for that matter.......if i feel like it.

You are emotional about this..........I'm not. I will go toe to toe with you on this, others usually will not, you see, I don't care about what 80% think.

I'm a Man and live by my own standards, not popular opinion.

I could go on all day without breaking a sweat.

Again, I like this specific thing the NHRA is doing with the Pro Classes.

and I'm not alone, and if I were I'd still slightly prefer this way over the (mostly) old $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ wins every time boredom.

That is my opinion.

Prepare to respond often, if that is your wish.

I take no offense at all..........Good day to you too.:)

REX

Last edited:
Very few people attend an event because of the championship. If that were not the case, the stands would be packed on Sunday, not Saturday. many really don't care who wins on Sunday. If they did, they would be there on Sunday.

Most fans attend an event to see the cars run and they get more bang for the buck on Saturday or Friday - more cars making more runs.

Very few people attend an event because of the championship. If that were not the case, the stands would be packed on Sunday, not Saturday. many really don't care who wins on Sunday. If they did, they would be there on Sunday.

Most fans attend an event to see the cars run and they get more bang for the buck on Saturday or Friday - more cars making more runs.

OK...........then either method of determining the Championship should not positively or negatively affect the gate reciepts or any other revenue....

Like I said, either way in the long run is fine by me.

I just get a little bored personally with titles being won at Brainerd or Indy or Reading.

I just think the finals should be the place........JMO:)

REX

I checked on the DRO archives and they did a similar survey in July and more people are against the countdown now compared to a couple of months ago. In July it was 67% against and 27% for with 6% not caring either way. Now it's 68% against with 19% for and 13% not caring. I find this interesting because I think all along Glendora was hoping that all the championships would be decided late in eliminations at the World Finals and then immediately after the last pair of dragsters went down Parker Avenue a "how do you like the countdown now?" survey would magically appear before our eyes on NHRA.com. I do wonder if Winston was still the series sponsor if we would still be subjected to the chase, because NASCAR didn't implement the chase until after Winston was gone.

FWIW, I don't care where you stand on the Countdown. I just don't like seeing the phrase "fake champions" over and over again. Everybody knew the deal when the season started. Whoever has the most points at the end of the year under this system is the champion. Calling them "fake" doesn't hurt the NHRA but it does trivialize the crowning achievement for any professional racer. Be clear - I'm a big KB Racing fan. If Dave wins the title and Greg would've won under the old system (for example), I won't be happy. However, I will not disparage Dave's victory. If he's holding the trophy, then I think he earned it. Even if someone else feels that he didn't, it's no reason to rip into him. He has as much control over the sanctioning body as we do.

Bottom line for me - say whatever you want about the NHRA and their new format. Lay off the racers. My two cents...

...oh, and Go Greg!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back