Health of the NHRA.... (1 Viewer)

Question?
NHRA is a non-profit organization! doesn't the membership own it?So do all the members get a cut of this? Compton is paid way to much!!!!!

Mike Cornelius

"Countdown to the Championship" Update.

2007 is the inaugural year of the NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series "Countdown to the Championship." The Countdown to the Championship breaks the 23-event POWERade Series season up into three distinct sections: the 17-race Countdown to 8, the four-race Countdown to 4 and the two-race Countdown to 1. The champions in each of the four professional classes, Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock and Pro Stock Motorcycle, will be crowned at the final event of the year in Pomona, California, which runs from November 1 through November 4, 2007. The format change continues to attract significant media attention in the coverage of motorsports, and the NHRA believes the Countdown is contributing to the overall increases in attendance and television ratings for the 2007 racing season. The individuals competing in this season's Countdown to the Championship also highlight the significant diversity of NHRA racers as compared to any other professional motorsport.

I sincerely don't want to beat this dead horse anymore, but if this is true then I guess the Countdown is here to stay...

2007 is the inaugural year of the NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series "Countdown to the Championship." The Countdown to the Championship breaks the 23-event POWERade Series season up into three distinct sections: the 17-race Countdown to 8, the four-race Countdown to 4 and the two-race Countdown to 1. The champions in each of the four professional classes, Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock and Pro Stock Motorcycle, will be crowned at the final event of the year in Pomona, California, which runs from November 1 through November 4, 2007. The format change continues to attract significant media attention in the coverage of motorsports, and the NHRA believes the Countdown is contributing to the overall increases in attendance and television ratings for the 2007 racing season. The individuals competing in this season's Countdown to the Championship also highlight the significant diversity of NHRA racers as compared to any other professional motorsport.

I sincerely don't want to beat this dead horse anymore, but if this is true then I guess the Countdown is here to stay...

I wonder if it is here to stay. In the current National Dragster, they have the event schedule for 2008, but no breakdown for the Countdown. Thoughts?

I wonder if it is here to stay. In the current National Dragster, they have the event schedule for 2008, but no breakdown for the Countdown. Thoughts?

You can take this to the bank, the Countdown is here to stay but the format may change a little as it evolves. This is all about providing entertainment (and $$) and the Countdown ensures there is exciting entertainment for the championship each year.

Just to clarify who owns the NHRA . . . some charity does, to the extent anyone does. Every 501(c)(3) has to have a disolution provision that says all of its net assets will eventually go to some qualifying charitable cause.

Now, these organizations, like regular corporations do have to abide by "reasonable compensation" rules. The IRS has been fairly aggressively enforcing these rules on tax exempts in the past few years, so no, Tom Compton and others can't take all of the proceeds from the Pro Racing deal.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I sure hope they take care of the sportsman crowd and spend some money enhancing technical resources to increase safety . . . and I personally would like them to spend some money to very quickly/safely deal with oil downs and wet tracks!

Just to clarify who owns the NHRA . . . some charity does, to the extent anyone does. Every 501(c)(3) has to have a disolution provision that says all of its net assets will eventually go to some qualifying charitable cause.

Now, these organizations, like regular corporations do have to abide by "reasonable compensation" rules. The IRS has been fairly aggressively enforcing these rules on tax exempts in the past few years, so no, Tom Compton and others can't take all of the proceeds from the Pro Racing deal.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I sure hope they take care of the sportsman crowd and spend some money enhancing technical resources to increase safety . . . and I personally would like them to spend some money to very quickly/safely deal with oil downs and wet tracks!
Anyone getting a cut from the HDP deal is getting a very small amount relatively. The vast majority of the money is going to NHRA non-profit. The plan is to have a ton of money in the bank to support sportsman racing.

I find it funny that for 56 years the sportsman guys never had any money and yet have gotten bye. AND NOW IT TAKE 100 MILLION to do something good for sportsman racer. Sorry somebody is getting rich and everybody else is gettting D&%KED.... EVAN I hope when you buy IHRA you do something with it like we all know you can.. MAKE US PROUD.. God knows those SOB's in CA are only going to get richer off the small time racer.

You can take this to the bank, the Countdown is here to stay but the format may change a little as it evolves. This is all about providing entertainment (and $$) and the Countdown ensures there is exciting entertainment for the championship each year.

Take this to the bank, too, Paul: your beloved countdown is an abomination.
Phony, contrived bullshit.

Take this to the bank, too, Paul: your beloved countdown is an abomination.
Phony, contrived bullshit.

And what can you do about it? Not a damn thing. If you do not like it stop watching NHRA pro drag racing. You can complain all you want, but the Countdown is not going anywhere and there will be an exciting end to the championship each year. Bill, is the sky falling in your world?

And what can you do about it? Not a damn thing. If you do not like it stop watching NHRA pro drag racing. You can complain all you want, but the Countdown is not going anywhere and there will be an exciting end to the championship each year. Bill, is the sky falling in your world?

You know Paul, I'd like to see Robert win the championship this year... but if Gary, Ron, or Tony win, so be it... as far as the other three classes... Whatever... In T/F, there's a 50% chance that Tony and Larry can keep the streak alive, and there's a 50% chance we'll have a first time champ... as far as the gas stuff... I could care less...

we're stuck with the countdown... so what? I'll still listen to qualifying and the race on the Net... still watch it on TV... I'm still planning to go to Richmond and Charlotte next year... maybe even take in Bristol... and I'll still cheer for Robert, Ashley, Mike, and Papa John... I'll be happy to see Gary, Ron, Jack, Teach, The Mike and Melanie Show, TJ, The Brothers P and everyone Else...

This Season taught me One Thing... It's about the Racing, It's about the People... and from my side of the rope, from my side of the guard rail... That's What Matters... not if someone wraps up the championship before Indy or on the last pass of the season...

d'kid

You bet your ass I can and will complain. What does it tell you about what a crock the countdown is when a racer ALREADY IN IT is quoted as saying, "I'm glad I earned my championships and didn't back into them"? Think about that next time you start blowing your "NHRA can do no wrong" trumpet.

You know Paul, I'd like to see Robert win the championship this year... but if Gary, Ron, or Tony win, so be it... as far as the other three classes... Whatever... In T/F, there's a 50% chance that Tony and Larry can keep the streak alive, and there's a 50% chance we'll have a first time champ... as far as the gas stuff... I could care less...

we're stuck with the countdown... so what? I'll still listen to qualifying and the race on the Net... still watch it on TV... I'm still planning to go to Richmond and Charlotte next year... maybe even take in Bristol... and I'll still cheer for Robert, Ashley, Mike, and Papa John... I'll be happy to see Gary, Ron, Jack, Teach, The Mike and Melanie Show, TJ, The Brothers P and everyone Else...

This Season taught me One Thing... It's about the Racing, It's about the People... and from my side of the rope, from my side of the guard rail... That's What Matters... not if someone wraps up the championship before Indy or on the last pass of the season...

d'kid

Well put Karl............it is the people! (oh yea, and PJ's pickems :D)

DRO's survey of the month for October addressed this very topic the countdown.

::: Drag Racing Online ::: Poll

Incidentally these numbers were very similar to the results of the honest answers thread a couple of weeks ago. It will be interesting to see what kind of spin Glendora puts on their new points system that 2 out of 3 people can't stand and only 1 out of 5 embrace.

The average fans are not voting on those polls, only hard core racers and fans, so take that with a grain of salt. The Countdown is exciting to the average sport fan, it will grow the sport and it definitely is here to stay. I've already had several people tell me how much they enjoyed watching the funny car Countdown last weekend. They are just sports fans, they enjoy all sports, as well as watching Drag Racing, but they do not have real favorites, and are not emotionaly ate up with the sport like we are. It is what it is, but it does bring excitement to the sport.

Why do all those who think the new Countdown is so great all use the phrase "it is what it is?"

There is also a market for "reality TV" and that, too, "is what it is." I do not watch it, find it incredibly boring because it's actually "unreality TV" or "make-believe TV" or "fictitious reality TV." They are what they are, but why should I have to settle for such a lame excuse for talking all the competition out of the championship and replacing it with a crapshoot?

We went from the "Chosen Eight" to the "Fortunate Four" and are now in the "Crapshoot to One." Who gets voted off the podium in Vegas and why should I care? All that's missing are the challenges and tribal council meetings. Oh, wait, we have qualifying and pre-race ceremonies...same deal.

At the end, somebody will be named champion and if it's the one who really deserves the title, that will be used to validate the new championship format. But, given the method for getting there, it could just as easily be somebody with a less than .500 round win record for the season who just got hot at the right time.

I was watching the PBR Nationals last night and apparently even Bull riders have had to put up with a "Countdown". And it was mentioned that due to numerous complaints of the participants, they will now be awarding a trophy for the person who scored the most points throughout the whole season.... the real winner for the year, in my book.

Talk about Bulls* * *. (no pun intended) ... even bull riders have had to sacrifice a good year for the short go.

Just a little something to think about as well. In NASCAR, Jeff Gordon would have won another championship in 2004 and would have this year's title locked up as well. I was not aware of that but it made me think.......They do not mention "the champion under the old system" much at all. Is that the way this countdown is headed? Like I said......it made me think ;)

in the report, the financial comparisons are between 2007 and 2006.
what i'd really like to see are 1,5,and 10 year financial records.

The average fans are not voting on those polls, only hard core racers and fans, so take that with a grain of salt. The Countdown is exciting to the average sport fan, it will grow the sport and it definitely is here to stay. I've already had several people tell me how much they enjoyed watching the funny car Countdown last weekend. They are just sports fans, they enjoy all sports, as well as watching Drag Racing, but they do not have real favorites, and are not emotionaly ate up with the sport like we are. It is what it is, but it does bring excitement to the sport.

Lance,
Changing to a countdown hasn't got me watching Rodeo... I don't watch NASCAR anymore, everyone I cared about retired... kinda the same way I don't watch NFL, MLB, or the NBA... The Sport Doesn't interest me, so I don't watch...

I love Drag Racing... Always have, Always will... and I've found no more Excitement in this year's points race than I did in 90, 91, 92, 93, 81, 82, 77, 73, 01, 03, 05, or 06... the Last time I really cared was 1969... and I was pissed because John and Chops had the best car all year... then John died in September and the rules wouldn't allow a sub driver... that was the year I decided that who the champ was really doesn't matter to me...

yeah, I guess I'm hardcore... so I'm not the target audience... I just hope 'They' don't screw up a good thing...

d'kid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back