NHRA HQ possibly moving to Indianapolis? (1 Viewer)

I don't think this is the place for politics. However since you brought it up, please name a state that doesn't have the best politicians money can buy. For example in the debate last fall over whether or not the Federal government should help GM and Chrysler, many, though not all, of those in favor where from states with a big GM and Chrysler presence and many, though not all, who were opposed to assisting GM and Chrysler were from states with foreign-brand auto makers.

As Senator Bob Dole once put, the US has the best tax code money can buy.

It's all about politics. California has gone over the top with taxes and is looking for ways to collect even more off the backs of businesses as the state continues to spend us into bankruptcy.

Nevada is running ads on California TV because they know the climate is ripe for business relocation to get away from oppresive taxation and regulations. NHRA is no different than many other companies that are leaving in droves.

YouTube - Nevada Development Authority Ad Campaign - Monkey Business

Last edited:
Nice way to derail this thread to [once again] wail on CA and taxes.

I'm sure, if they leave, NHRA wouldn't be leaving because of taxes. It would be for the same reason that all the race teams have headed to Brownsburg: vastly shorter travel times to the various races, inexpensive and plentiful real estate, lower cost of living for the employees, and a growing community of like-minded racers and racing-related businesses. Sure it doesn't hurt that Brownsburg is welcoming to racing businesses, but that can't be the only factor.

Here's a discussion by racers on Insidetopalcohol.com about new California laws concerning towing equipment that effects their race car rigs and the idiotic regulations that are driving truckers out of the state:
New CARB regulations for heavy duty diesel trucks - www.insidetopalcohol.com
RG

I wonder if any of the truck emissions from out of state trucks would be subject to any of the Interstate Commerce clause stuff? I can see out of state trucks no longer doing business in California.
So glad I retired 9 years ago and got off the road.

Carson City and the Gardnerville areas are nice places to live. Also Fernley out to the East of Reno.

Nice way to derail this thread to [once again] wail on CA and taxes.

I'm sure, if they leave, NHRA wouldn't be leaving because of taxes. It would be for the same reason that all the race teams have headed to Brownsburg: vastly shorter travel times to the various races, inexpensive and plentiful real estate, lower cost of living for the employees, and a growing community of like-minded racers and racing-related businesses. Sure it doesn't hurt that Brownsburg is welcoming to racing businesses, but that can't be the only factor.

Being from Woodinville, Washington, I would be willing to go out on a very thin limb and say you have no idea what the state of California is doing to kill the business climate with taxes and regulations. If you have any helpful information I'm all ears. Businesses, including NHRA have one reason for leaving. And it's all about the current political climate. This thread isn't being derailed, The explaination can't be changed or dumbed down to suit thoose who prefer to keep their heads in the sand, which is exactly what the California legislature is doing.

How much will it cost to relocate NHRA employees and their families? Obviously, if they do move to Brownsberg or wherever, someone sat down with a pencil a paper and figured the high cost of relocation is offset by the lower cost of doing business when they finally settle in elsewhere.

Ask yourself why would any company want to move from an area where the weather is great 24/7/12 where your offices back a beautiful golf course to a severe weather area? With the NHRA field employees on the road all the time anyway (like a traveling circus) why would it be anymore expensive to go from Charlotte to Dallas if they were headquartered in Germany or Brownsberg or Pomona?

Do an internet search on why companies are leaving California. It's all about politics. I'd be willing to bet the reason Force has moved operations is because CARB (California Air Resources Board) walked through the door and made demands. A frequent poster here has a small printing company that HAD about 22 hard working employees who depend on him. In the middle of the game, CARB walked through his doors and announced he had 14 days to install $125,000 worth of emmisions equipment over his t-shirt printing machine or he wouild be fined $25,000 a day for non compliance. Since he, like most companies that small, doesn't have an extra $125,000 laying around, and he certainly can't afford a $25,000 a day fine, he made a tough decision. When CARB showed up a couple weeks later to make sure he was in compliance they found an empty parking lot except for the secretary and the owner. When they asked him what happened to the business he said "Gone, thanks to you."

Welcome to the People's Republic of Kalifornia.

RG

Last edited:
[yadda, yadda, same ol' poop]

Welcome to the People's Republic of Kalifornia.

Traveled in/to every corner of the state, have kids who've lived in, done extensive business in California, including owning part of businesses based there.

You have a woody on this problem, and you're not going to let it go. It gets really old when you derail every other thread to bring it up.

Yawn...

Traveled in/to every corner of the state, have kids who've lived in, done extensive business in California, including owning part of businesses based there.

You have a woody on this problem, and you're not going to let it go. It gets really old when you derail every other thread to bring it up.

Yawn...

You, my friend, need to tune in to more than just the Cartoon Network and Nitromater. Sticking your head in the toilet won't make what is happening go away, no matter how many times you push the flush lever.

After giving examples of the climate and effect on businesses and why they are moving, which is based in the OP here:

QUOTE:

Force began expanding in Brownsburg five years ago and now has 55 of his 75 employees working there. His expansion plans include a larger retail presence, including a Mac Tools outlet, an expansion of the drag-racing museum he operates, a restaurant, and possibly a TV studio and hotel.

The cost of living and doing business is much cheaper in central Indiana than in California, said Force, adding that his team saves hundreds of thousands of dollars annually by being here.

On top of the city’s proximity to drag racing tracks and its ample supply of motorsports workers and parts makers, Force said tax breaks and other incentives offered by local authorities is helping grow the NHRA base here.

“With the tax breaks and expenses and materials being lower in Indiana, we built our building 40 percent cheaper than we could have in California,” Force said. "

...I asked you "If you have any helpful information I'm all ears" and you've offered up nothing. Regarding Force's comments about building costs, do you have any idea what it costs or what it takes just to get a building permit in California? Obviously you either have a blind political bias or are not capable of doing a simple internet search which tells you why companies are leaving California...and that is the topic here...and they are leaving for the reasons I stated...and for that reason my posts are relevant to the topic.

Now I could say companies are leaving my state because Santa Claus brings more presents to kids in Indiana to make you happy but that wouldn't be the truth. And if you aren't mature enough to hear why, I suggest you exercise your free will by clicking elsewhere instead of trying to play "Junior Moderator" here.

Adios.

RG

Yawn...

Randy didn't "derail" the thread. The thread was about NHRA possibly moving. Part of that discussion is why, and why is economics pure and simple. Part of it is the logistics of the central location and part is the cost of doing business in California.

I, like someone else posted have never meet Randy although we are only a few miles apart. I see the same things he sees everyday, businesses moving out of the California.

Randy didn't "derail" the thread. The thread was about NHRA possibly moving. Part of that discussion is why, and why is economics pure and simple. Part of it is the logistics of the central location and part is the cost of doing business in California.

I, like someone else posted have never meet Randy although we are only a few miles apart. I see the same things he sees everyday, businesses moving out of the California.

I've been racing just about every year since 1974. I've seen the mass exodus of racing related companies and race teams that chose to close their doors here in California. I've talked to people who own these business and why they made the decision to leave.

I have a suggestion for Mr. Williams. Call Bill Miller Engineering and ask Bill why he now calls Carson City, Nevada, "home." I'm sure Bill would love to give him the short 4 hour version as to why he left CA. FWIW, Bill has a "woody" over it, too.

Thanks,

RG

Last edited:
Just for everyone's info...our life blood here in Indiana is industry. They are leaving the state in alarming numbers.

I'm sorry, I guess you're all correct.

With the unbreathable air, the rampant fires, the flooding and mudslides alternating with Santa Ana driven dust storms, the earthquakes, the ridiculous real estate prices, the gangs and riots, the oppressive heat, the absurd commute times, and everything else drawing people to Southern California, the only thing driving them out is government policy.

Sorry, I didn't realize that. I apologize.

I've been racing just about every year since 1974. I've seen the mass exodus of racing related companies and race teams that chose to close their doors here in California. I've talked to people who own these business and why they made the decision to leave.

I have a suggestion for Mr. Williams. Call Bill Miller Engineering and ask Bill why he now calls Carson City, Nevada, "home." I'm sure Bill would love to give him the short 4 hour version as to why he left CA. FWIW, Bill has a "woody" over it, too.

Thanks,

RG

I think you could add Doug Herbert and Virgil Hartman to that mix!

I'm sorry, I guess you're all correct.

With the unbreathable air, the rampant fires, the flooding and mudslides alternating with Santa Ana driven dust storms, the earthquakes, the ridiculous real estate prices, the gangs and riots, the oppressive heat, the absurd commute times, and everything else drawing people to Southern California, the only thing driving them out is government policy.

Sorry, I didn't realize that. I apologize.

This will explain it to you.

images

You ARE on a Roll Today LOL!!!

Hey, what happened in Bakersfield??? email me (so I'm not thread hijacking) and it stays off of a public forum, not that it's a secret, but just curious since I haven't spoken to you in a while.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back