First time trip to Sonoma (1 Viewer)

Terry

Nitro Member
Hey Mater gang! I will be flying from scenic Nebraska to SF to visit my son and attend the race at Sonoma for the first time. We will be driving up from Berkeley on Sat. Going to get reserved seats and wondering where the pits are located in relation to the Tower and the Main Grandstand. Want to get seats on pit side whichever that one is.

I have only seen pictures of the track at Sonoma, never been there, so any information, tips, and suggestions from my fellow maters will be much appreciated. Really looking forward to the trip! (hard to imagine anyone would want to get out of Nebraska for a while, huh?)

The main grand stand is a long way from the track. When I went I sat on the spectator reserved side on the starting line Sat and Sun and I was basically on top of the track. On Friday I sat in the main grandstand and didn't like how far away it was. IMO, best seats in the house are the spectator reserved seats on the starting line. For me it was worth the walk around the track to the pits just to sit closer to the track. Also, parking might be a long walk away, so pack your walking shoes. When I was there they parked us in the hills of the road course which was a long way from the starting line, but it wasn't too bad.

Thanks for the info, Paul. According to the seating chart on the NHRA site, is the "Tower" seating the spectator side? The seats labeled Grandstand have something called "Thunder Alley" between them and the track. Those are probably the ones that are quite a ways back from the track, right?

Yup, Tower starting line would be where I would sit. Not sure what they were called when I went (it was almost 10 yrs ago now), but the seats were a lot better than the main grandstand. Not sure what Thunder Alley is, looks like Pit Road for the road course and not sure if you can even sit there.

Checked out google maps satellite pic and it looks like "Thunder Alley" is the road course main straightaway.

Tower is spectator side, Thunder Alley is a special standing room only area where you are a bit closer to starting line where we fire cars. As a spectator you get the consent standing to watch each pass on Tower side, Main grandstand is at such an angle that people stay seated and you get benefit of shade from the afternoon sun. Friday will most likely be warm to hot and once the sun goes down it is down right cold.

The main grand stand is a long way from the track. When I went I sat on the spectator reserved side on the starting line Sat and Sun and I was basically on top of the track. On Friday I sat in the main grandstand and didn't like how far away it was. IMO, best seats in the house are the spectator reserved seats on the starting line. For me it was worth the walk around the track to the pits just to sit closer to the track. Also, parking might be a long walk away, so pack your walking shoes. When I was there they parked us in the hills of the road course which was a long way from the starting line, but it wasn't too bad.

Like Paul said....the New Pitside Reserved are about 200' from the track, Too Far! The Sprctator side is probably the closest you get to the track anywhere!

While I agree with everyone regarding the distance from the cars on the pit side, I will say that the seats are apposite as well. So just in case you HATE sitting on cramped bleachers (I do) then the grandstands are much nicer. But yeah, you are further away for sure.

For me the biggest frustration of the bleachers (at least on race day) is that everyone stands so you really cannot see past half track.

But... OH that feeling... ;-)

Sonoma can be chilly in the AM and blazing hot in the PM with somewhat limited shade depending where you are sitting. Hydration and sunscreen are musts. Looks like you are not attending Friday? If you are the night qualifying can get windy and cold, again dressing in layers will serve you well.

The road that leads to the track is just two lanes. It can get real backed up from Vallejo to the track. I usually was able to minimize the wait by going early.

You'll end up parking in the hills. Parking was free, but I was required to show the attendant my race admission. It'll be a hike to get to the track. However, they did have free shuttles circulating the periphery of the property last time I was there. You might have to wait a bit for one to come around. If you get on one near you car, it will eventually make a full circle around the track and bring you right back. This includes a drop off / pickup point right behind the big grandstand. There are various other points too. I rode it round-trip like that a few times just to see the whole place.

The nitro pits are behind the big grandstand and next to the paddock garages behind the tower. Pro stockers usually are pitted along the staging lanes behind the tower. Sportsmen racers will be parked all along the infield road course. To visit them will require lots of walking. Since there is no alcohol racing during the national, I'm not sure if any will be leftover from the divisional the weekend before.

There is a tunnel under the track from the grandstands to the opposite side.

The big grandstand is indeed far away from the racing surface. That thunder alley is an extra charge of like $10 bux or more. Very few people were in it last times I was there.

While much closer to the racing surface, the tower bleachers get hammered by the sun. I always got a sunburn there. And yes, everyone stands up and you can't see the finish line.

That family section near the finish line required an additional fee to get into last times I was there.

Top the cops is on Saturdays and it is fun. If it clouds over with overcast, it will get chilly in the evening. Sunsets are about 8pm but that wind can be harsh.

Leaving the track can be slow going. Usual afternoon traffic clogs the hiway and add on top of that the race traffic. Be sure to use restrooms before hitting that drive.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Terry I don't know as I was with Rapisarda and they are still in Australia. I had committed to working on a brand new TFD, Sonoma being the very first appearance of said car, but I injured my knee recently and don't know if I will be able.

Hey Mater gang! I will be flying from scenic Nebraska to SF to visit my son and attend the race at Sonoma for the first time. We will be driving up from Berkeley on Sat. Going to get reserved seats and wondering where the pits are located in relation to the Tower and the Main Grandstand. Want to get seats on pit side whichever that one is.

I have only seen pictures of the track at Sonoma, never been there, so any information, tips, and suggestions from my fellow maters will be much appreciated. Really looking forward to the trip! (hard to imagine anyone would want to get out of Nebraska for a while, huh?)

Terry, I may be there with one of my customers, who belongs to Parts Plus. Let me know if you are going for sure, and I will let you know if I am going.

Be prepared for horrible traffic getting into the track, highway 37 is a miserable, one lane in each direction, mess.

Paul gave you the great rundown on the facility!

Terry, I may be there with one of my customers, who belongs to Parts Plus. Let me know if you are going for sure, and I will let you know if I am going.

Be prepared for horrible traffic getting into the track, highway 37 is a miserable, one lane in each direction, mess.

Paul gave you the great rundown on the facility!

Holy Cow...Loder's back!

Thanks for all the input and information, everyone. My son got the tickets ordered yesterday. Gonna be a little different for me this time....first time I've been to a National Event as a spectator and not a racer for a long, long time. In some ways, I'm really looking forward to being a spectator and not have to always be listening to the PA for the call to get to the lanes!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back