Sonoma (1 Viewer)

Carl Lewis

Nitro Member
Hi all,
My wife and I are really thinking about traveling south for this event. I would appreciate any information from you folks from parking to seating and places to stay. We will be at our local (Kent) track the next week but need to get out of the house and think a road trip to the coast is in order for a week or so and hey, Sonoma is more less on the way. !!!

Thanks in advance,
Carl
Lewis Custom Hydros
Olympia, Wa.

Hi all,
My wife and I are really thinking about traveling south for this event. I would appreciate any information from you folks from parking to seating and places to stay. We will be at our local (Kent) track the next week but need to get out of the house and think a road trip to the coast is in order for a week or so and hey, Sonoma is more less on the way. !!!

Thanks in advance,
Carl
Lewis Custom Hydros
Olympia, Wa.
I am staying at the Courtyard in Novato this year. In the past I have stayed at Four Points Sheraton in San Rafael which is where a lot of the teams stay. Unfortunately, not a lot of hotels in the area so prices are high on race weekends. I sit on the reserved grandstand side which is the pit side. The other side is actually closer to the lanes but, if I remember correctly it's all bleacher seating with no seat backs. The pit side is nice stadium style seats. I park in reserved Lot 1 which is on the pit side for $15 per day. It's up the hill so you can walk or take the shuttle down. If you are going Friday, bring warm clothes as it gets very cold after the sun goes down. I actually bring a parka, even though it will probably be warm during the day!

I would appreciate any information from you folks from parking to seating and places to stay.

Sonoma has a unique position in the area with a lot of morning and afternoon traffic. Plan on extra time to get into and out of the track and back to "civilization"!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...6f31a35f5ee5b!8m2!3d38.1608724!4d-122.4547052 [Zoom out to get an idea of the area]. Absolutely NOTHING around the track for some distance!

The Professional pits are right behind the big Grandstand on the left side of the track, but the sportsman racer are parked up and and the road course winding through the hills. Lots of ups and downs!

Always great racing!

It seems like the regulars and teams all stay west of the track. If you try to go east to Napa or Fairfield, you'll get stuck in hours of traffic. I ended up in Rohnert Park last year which is a bit far (30 minutes away) but it was also $100/night cheaper.

As Brian said, the main grandstand is more comfortable. It's usually all in the shade by late afternoon. They also have a set of grandstands called The Point at the 1320 mark open to everyone, and some unique places to watch on the ground. I typically only use in my paid seat for about two sessions all weekend.

Free parking is about a 10 minute (but enjoyable) hike to the main stands/pro pits, or you can take a shuttle. Even the shuttle ride has nice views.

Good track. Good air. The Friday night session is killer. You won't regret it.

I used to stay in Vallejo at hotels on Admiral Callaghan way. There were plenty of nearby restaurants and stuff next to the hotel. Never had a problem myself, but I have heard many stories of problems over there.
Traffic going in to the track was brutal. Had to beat it super early in the morn or get caught in it. That 37 and 121 traffic is crazy. But it's do-able!

For parking, I usually go to the general lots. It's literally in the rolling hills. IIRC I pulled in and there were ticket attendants right there wandering around and flagging you down. I paid them admission right there on the barrelhead. Parking itself was free.

The walk from the car to the track is a long hike. But they have shuttles constantly circulating. I recommend these.
Sportsman pits are strewn about all over the infield roadcourse and up the carousel. Also a long walk.

Friday nights get cold!!!
I spend Saturdays in the "smaller" temporary bleachers but holy cow the sun is brutal over there. Trade-off is you're closer to the racing surface. This is the night they have top-the-cops racing.
Sundays I spend in the "big' grandstand. But they are far away from the racing surface. Trade-off is you're closer to the nitro pits and a shuttle pickup/dropoff (right behind the grandstand).

All of this info is from a bunch a years ago tho.

I will echo others recommendation of making sure you have a jacket handy on Friday night because as soon as the sun starts setting behind the hills it gets cold quick especially if the wind kicks up. I found out the hard way my first time there. I only packed shorts and t-shirts that trip and spent the entire hour or two shivering my ass off. While I am always there first thing in the morning and usually there at least an hour after racing I've never had to deal with the traffic I've heard it can be pretty brutal. Hang out on Sunday because during winner's circle they have the Eric Medlen Ice Cream social and its a great chance to mingle with a lot of people.

I always parked at I think gate 3 which is north of the short chute for the road course basically on the other side of the fence to the sand trap. It is a pretty decent hike but there are shuttles. If you miss the last shuttle you can save some steps/time by walking out through an exit gate near the end of the road course esess and walk along the highway to get back to the parking lot.

Fuel and PSB pits are just south of the main grandstands with the Pro Stock pits located inside the hairpin. I believe there is an opening in the wall near the base of the media center so you do not have to go around through the road course pit road.

The east side grandstands are as close if not closer than the west side grandstands at Pomona which are the closest I've ever sat. They are my favorite seats however the downside is you are in the sun all day. The main grandstands are kind of far away but by usually 1pm or so its all shaded. As someone mentioned there is a general admission grandstand between the 1000' and 1/4 mile finish lines and its a good spot to have the sun at your back before the main stands are shaded however it is a little bit of a hike including a little bit of an uphill stretch as you cross over the bridge that goes over turn one. Also if you are in the east side grandstands there is a tunnel that goes under the track that is a tad bit quicker that walking the long way around back to the fuel pits.

Like most National Events: Bring lots of money!

Any hotels within a reasonable drive are quickly filled and expensive!
It's "High Tourist Season" and you are competing for a very limited resources!
Track food and drive have a big selection, but are also very expensive!

Have fun!

If your looking for a place to just rest your head and nothin fancy...We stay at the Motel 6 in Vallejo....There is Popeyes, Starbucks and an Applebees within blocks of it...My buddy and I check in Friday morning ...Head to the track for qualifying and leave Saturday night after qualifying....I agree with the other guys....Head west of the track for better and Yes ....Bring lots of money...It is expensive....Friday night under the lights is awesome...The track and air are excellent...Have a great time.....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back