Possible trip to Sonoma! (1 Viewer)

NitroMustang65

Nitro Member
OK gang, can I get the quick & dirty on Sonoma? What's the closest airport to the track? I gave my lovely wife the option of either a few days in the Smokey Mountains in a cabin, or somewhere on a beach here in FL for our upcoming 10th anniversary. She responded back with "how about the race in CA in July?" :D God bless her :cool:

Flying into Oakland is the best option (Frisco is not too much farther), and I would suggest staying North of the track in Navato or San Rafael. The access into and out of the track very easy. MTS travel (661-718-8927) usually has blocks of rooms in both places.

Welcome to California Dave, you have a few Airports to choose from for the race (its not the closest -but) I think Sacramento would be the easiest IMO, SF or Oakland seconds, there is a lot of stuff to do before and after the race, Napa wine train, if you like wine there is a lot of winneries within a few miles of Infinion, you might check out Korbel Champagnes, Gary Heck owns it and has a nice race shop next to the winnery. Of course SF is a great place to visit, do all of the "touresty" stuff. Look for a room near Novato - easier to get in and out of the track heading West. Bring cool stuff and warm stuff to wear, it can be hot as hell or really cold if the ocean breze comes in. Its also very hilly, be ready to do a lot of walking, Its a great facility no bad seats, I would recomend getting reserved seats, pit side. If you want more info PM me. -Don

OK gang, can I get the quick & dirty on Sonoma? What's the closest airport to the track? I gave my lovely wife the option of either a few days in the Smokey Mountains in a cabin, or somewhere on a beach here in FL for our upcoming 10th anniversary. She responded back with "how about the race in CA in July?" :D God bless her :cool:

Well after having to go many times to that race flying into sacramento is the easiest way!! Its puts you a little over a hour to the track!! Like has already been stated there is plenty to do before the race you just gotta do some looking around on what you like to do! Track itself i love should definetly be a good time!!

Traffic is the biggest concern no matter which airport you fly into. Sacramento is probably your best bet even though it is a little bit further from the track. But your choice of carrier and pricing can be restricted. Southwest flies into both SFO and Oakland now.

Rental cars are considerably cheaper at the Oakland airport. You'll pay almost double at SFO. Not sure about pricing at Sac.

No matter where you stay you're going to be driving to where ever you want to go. If you're primarily going to do San Francisco and wine country, I'd recommend staying off Hwy 101 as close to Hwy 37 as possible. Hwy 37 can be a real pain in the backside with traffic.

Avoid the rush hour times of day at all cost!!

When I went to Sonoma in 04 I flew into San Francisco. I was there on business, so I flew in during an offpeak time and traffic wasn't really an issue. I stayed in Pleasant Hill at the Marriott and it took me roughly 30 minutes or so to get to the track on Saturday and Sunday, Friday was a nightmare getting to the track.

When I went to Sonoma in 04 I flew into San Francisco. I was there on business, so I flew in during an offpeak time and traffic wasn't really an issue. I stayed in Pleasant Hill at the Marriott and it took me roughly 30 minutes or so to get to the track on Saturday and Sunday, Friday was a nightmare getting to the track.
Paul,

That isn't as much of an issue any longer. They have the new Benicia bridge open and there isn't a back up there any more. As long as you get to the track before 2 PM on Friday, it shouldn't be bad on Hwy 37 either.

Martinez, Concord, Pleasant Hill, Walnut Creek would be good options. You can take BART into the city and won't have to deal with traffic.

Well...hope to see you there..looks like everyone else has given you the good info...

Terry

If you stay in Sac, on HWY 80 in Fairfield you can hit the Jelly Belly factory and the Budweiser plant. You've got the wine country thang, or Marine World down the road in Vallejo.

Have a blast in our neck of the woods, maybe we'll catch you there!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back