ESPN Does It Again! (1 Viewer)

Just loved the "time constrants" which means we screw YOU on racing so we can do the normal J**k-off ads:rolleyes: Ya all are beating a dead horse bitching to ESPN. NHRA needs to be flooded with phone calls, e-mails and faxs, and then just maybe nhra might take some notice.(right)
Been this way since nhra has been on the tube. The only time it wasn't was back in the "OLD" days when they (nhra) did 3 all day pay-for-views. But nhra figured they wern't getting enough $$$ off it and it dissapeared:mad: And now the Marty haters can warm up the keyboards, cause he's BACK next week.:D

You are assuming Compton and Light can read. Right?

Ok, maybe this is a stupid question, I dont know but doesnt NHRA PAY ESPN to have the show broadcast??? If thats the case, wouldnt you think that we would be on the exact time we are suppose to be and not get cut for
)$*%#)@ tennis or little league baseball or whatever. Its like almost every week they screw us somehow. As for the people griping about Pro Stock/PSM not getting shown, you have to realize that most of the casual fans that would watch on tv dont give a crap about them, its all fuel cars. And they didnt show some of the fuel car 1st round match ups either and they didnt interview half of them either. And I am with you all on the if they would have cut all the other crap we could have seen all the races but oh well.

What most of you are missing is ESPN is owned by Disney which is known for SCREWING people all the time so this is nothing new to them.

Marty is back next week. :D I will finally get to watch a broadcast without chief wiggum. I couldnt be happier. :D

Oh and as far as SPEED channel and the NHRA it wont happen they have the IHRA & all forms of racing....what a concept. :eek:

ESPN2 could have gotten in more race action if they had shown LESS FLUFF pieces. I could have easily done without all the segments showing the Zoo, they did that all during the qualifying telecast on Saturday. How many times do you need to see people drinking beer being hauled around by a tractor? The sounds of the track could have been by-passed in favor of MORE TRACK ACTION. I like Selzci but just this once they could have dropped that segment.

ESPN2 kept the fluff and cut out the action.

I am one of the fans that LOVES Pro Stock Cars and Pro Stock Motorcycles. They are my two favorite classes. Funny Car and Top Fuel are OK but I PREFER PSC and PSM. Maybe that is because the rounds are far more competitive and the finishes are decided by thousands of a second not by dropped cylinders and tire shake.

Didn't notice many commercial breaks in the tennis coverage - oh, it's live. I guess we had to watch all those commercials to pay for the tennis TV time?

Since the only time I watch ESPN is on the rare occasion when they have some motorsports coverage, I rarely watch either ESPN or "the deuce." I never watch any of their other spinoffs, just more talking heads.

I can remember when I watched ESPN several times a week because they had motorsports coverage on several times a week. Once they used the motorsports coverage to build and expand their network, they suddenly had no air time for motorsports and abandoned it in favor of important stuff like spelling bees and poker. So they don't get my vote except on the rare occasion when they are covering motorsports and I am not at a track somewhere instead of in front of the tube. And even then, they have a talent for screwing it up, like they did last night.

I hauled ass from Knoxville to Indy yesterday just so I could watch a drag race on TV last night - and they chewed it up so badly that I fell asleep before the final round. Between commercials and retrospectives and "due to time constraints" and fluff pieces instead of racing, I got bored with the whole deal and went to bed.

- Larry
:mad: :mad: :mad:

It's on, and Paul Page just called Mike Dunn Ronnie
And I knew that Jim Head was little older - but there was something about he hasn't been to a final here since 1935? DANG! Talk about older than dirt! (Yes, I rewound 4 times, he said 1935). He wasn't even born then, actually...
Why did they play 5 miniutes of prerace at the start, 4 minutes of rain delay, replay of top fuel classes before each round watch Angel & Ron cry, interveiw every round winning top fuel driver & of course run Ron & Gary's bits. Cut out half of this crap & we could have watched every race of every round of the pro classes.
These things are cute but, am I the only one that watches the race for the race?
I agree with this...While it was nice to see Ron handle the situation nicely with Bob ("Hey that was a good run, but you took forever.") - the rest of the interview was stuff that could have been on NHRA2Day or something...

I hear that ABC and ESPN go to split screen during the comercials so that half the screen is still showing the race.

How 'bout that ESPN? I think you owe us a couple!

I didn’t read the entire thread but I wanted to share a few things that you may not realize.

The weather threat was very real, we started late and according to the forecast we were hoping to get two rounds in before the rain washed us out for the day. The decision was made to put the show together so that we would fill the time slot with the first and second rounds. And then tell you to tune in tomorrow for the final two which would be run on Monday.. If the predicted rain had come (and we all thought it had arrived when it started sprinkling with one pair of Funny Cars left to run round two) you would have seen extensive coverage of the racing that had been completed to that point.

Then, it didn’t rain, and looked like we might (stress MIGHT) get the race completed. Top Fuel semi’s started at 6:25 (Brainerd time) and the show started at 7. Now what? The show that had been built to fill the time, starts in 20 minutes (after the bikes had run the semi’s) and you don’t know if you will get to run the finals today or not, so what do you do? At this time the tennis match still looked like it would end on time and you have to put a show on the air. The Top Fuel final was run at 7:47, the show is already ON THE AIR! And now you have to make room for the finals. Editing a show that is running would be like deciding to change your clutch set up after you were in second gear.

It was also the first time in a while that we didn’t have flexibility on the back end. ESPN has been real good about giving us ten extra minutes on the back, if we have to go up ten late, but Sunday that just wasn’t an option. They did give us as much as they could, and the show went up.

Was it the smoothest show that has ever been put together, of course not, but given the circumstances, it was a hell of an effort to make sure that you did get to see the entire race and you know who won. I can only imagine the outcry if they had gone off the air as the Pro Stock cars were doing the burnout for the final. And believe me without the extreme efforts of the production guys that could have happened.

Sometimes the stars just all line up against you, and you have to do the best you can. At the end of the day, the TV guys have another ulcer. And you have something to bitch about. Everybody’s happy-LOL.

As always. I’m not speaking for NHRA or ESPN, I’m just relating what I know.

Alan

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation, Alan.

It's always a good idea to keep in mind that we're only seeing the end product, not what it takes to get us there.

In all, I think this year's ESPN2 coverage has been ok. There have been years in which nearly every show started late.

Wow....I am glad I didn't even bother to watch on Sunday or I would have been part of the pissed people. It's bad enough when I look through ESPN's listings and see crap like Brat Eating Contest or Rock, Paper, Scissors Championships. :rolleyes: How rediculous.

Thanks for the explanation, Alan.

It's always a good idea to keep in mind that we're only seeing the end product, not what it takes to get us there.

In all, I think this year's ESPN2 coverage has been ok. There have been years in which nearly every show started late.

May be this time it was legit. How about all the other times. Missed runs, no air time for winners, Pro Stock cut short just so they can show the fluff. The race where they kept showing Dr. Will was the worst. I like Paul Page, but I think I am the only one so I must wrong. It needs to be fixed, but the ones that can fix it are to busy counting their money in Glendora.

Alan,

I truly appreciate the explanation about the weather and the impact it had on the race and the resulting editing of the coverage. I came to realize after the Seattle race just how tight the schedule can be.
I wish I had known all that on Sunday. Hopefully in the next two hours or so, Comcast, as promised, will deliver my DVR. I haven't, however, gotten to see all of the TV coverage this year, so it's extremely frustrating to sit here not knowing what the hell is going on watching tennis wondering where the hell my drag racing is?
But, I know you understand how we all must feel, otherwise you wouldn't have posted the helpful behind the scenes info that you did.
It does help take the edge off my irritation...a bit.

And I know you know we all just like to bitch. LOL

Having been there way too many times in 27 years...I can tell you Alan is spot on in his analysis of what transpired in Brainerd. It is hard to believe the pressure that builds on everyone involved in such circumstances...which leads to actions that may not have been taken had there been a little more time.

One thing about a television time slot....it WILL START whether you are ready or not...and to have to rebuild a show as it is on the air is a remarkable achievement.

Watching from home, it made me appreciate even more the efforts by people that posters on this board don't even know exist.

I realize that many folks have their ideas of how things should go and what should or should not air. Maybe someday you could have the opportunity to sit in the chair...or multiple chairs and make decisions that have to come almost instaneously. Tougher than you think.

To all at ESPN...I was watching the time count down to the start of the show and keeping up with the action on DRC...I knew it was crunch time and IMHO, I feel you did a great job. Recaps aren't bad or evil, folks...we did them for lots of years on the Diamond P shows...and may the heavens be merciful...we actually ignored some rounds of racing in several different categories from time to time. Funny how memory can play tricks on us.

Thanks again to all for the continuing interests and concerns. If you didn't care about the sport...you wouldn't be watching and posting.

Take care everyone, and stay well.

MaC

I didn’t read the entire thread but I wanted to share a few things that you may not realize.

The weather threat was very real, we started late and according to the forecast we were hoping to get two rounds in before the rain washed us out for the day. The decision was made to put the show together so that we would fill the time slot with the first and second rounds. And then tell you to tune in tomorrow for the final two which would be run on Monday.. If the predicted rain had come (and we all thought it had arrived when it started sprinkling with one pair of Funny Cars left to run round two) you would have seen extensive coverage of the racing that had been completed to that point.

Was it the smoothest show that has ever been put together, of course not, but given the circumstances, it was a hell of an effort to make sure that you did get to see the entire race and you know who won. I can only imagine the outcry if they had gone off the air as the Pro Stock cars were doing the burnout for the final. And believe me without the extreme efforts of the production guys that could have happened.

As always. I’m not speaking for NHRA or ESPN, I’m just relating what I know.

Alan

Alan,

Thanks for the insight. Most of us would never know about these kinds of decisions going on without someone on the inside making us aware of it. I'm sure some Pepto Bismol was going down based on what you stated. I taped it and haven't watched the whole show yet, just saw the finals, and the begining. I watched the tennis match run 40-45 min. over and kept my finger on the "start taping" button (well, actually it was a mouse on my computer and built-in DVR) but was totally expecting it to still run the 3 hours so when I checked back right around 10:00pm EST and saw that it was finishing up, I went "HUH"?? How'd they do that? What did they cut out? Well, now I know. Bummer for all the PSC and PSM fans. I'm with Karl on the tennis match, the blonde Russian lass was a cutie. Never seen or heard of her before, but she can sure swing a mean racket! :D

I over did the dvr recordings and ran out of space right as the show started!!DAMN!! I was hoping for a repeat of the race at 2 am but.......

I have since cleared out most of the crap I recorded 4-6 mos ago!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back