ESPN... it's not the JFHRA (1 Viewer)

Martin:

We could go on like this for weeks without solving anything, but I must say that I don’t agree with you about strengthening our base audience without making an even bigger push towards garnering new fans.

Our hard core base is not enough of an audience to attract the kind of sponsors the sport needs to flourish.

Yesterday I mentioned those two million ticket buyers and don’t recall whether or not I asked that of those, what’s the percentage of multiple event visitors? Many hard core fans attend more than one POWERade Series race, so it’s highly likely that there may be no more than 1.5 M actual fans involved in that equation. Any way you look at it, that’s not a very big number.

But you said it yourself when you referenced the inroads the sport has made with ESPN, the Internet and outlets like USA Today, which has given us much better coverage in the last year or two than it ever did in the past. Credit the NHRA Media Department for that because they work non-stop to get those people interested and out there to cover our races. And it’s not just begging phone calls. It’s face-to-face meetings in their offices, not NHRA’s. It’s a constant barrage of story ideas, results and anything else they can think of. Believe me, those people bust their butts to increase drag racing’s exposure. Just because we don’t personally witness those efforts doesn’t mean they aren’t taking place behind the scenes.

Another seldom-mentioned problem with attracting some media people is their personal affinity for some other form of motorsports rather than drag racing. I won’t name names here, but there are a couple of nationally prominent news gatherers who look down their noses at drag racing, and they’re in a position to “deny” the sport exposure. Never mind that their readers may like drag racing.

This little vignette is indicative of how the media can react to drag racing: Not that many years ago, when I was a Senior Editor for RACER Magazine, I would include with whatever feature story we were doing on the U.S. Nationals a sidebar story on the actual event results, including all of the pro categories. The editor would often tell me, “We aren’t a truck or motorcycle magazine,” which was why, almost every time, whatever I included on Pro Stock Motorcycle or (it pains me to even mention them) Pro Stock Truck would be excised from the story.

Years and years earlier, when I was on staff at Car Craft Magazine, I came back from race with a killer shot of a wheelstanding Pro Stock car. I certainly wanted it to run as a single shot, turn-page feature or even a full spread, as did the Art Director. Uh-uh. No Chance. Turned out the editor didn’t like the guy, had apparently had some falling out with him over something. The photo never ran at all.

The point is that regardless of merit, personal feelings often enter into how our sport is portrayed in the media, and that’s a real problem, too.

No one is denying the strength or growth of NASCAR’s top series, but at the same time it’s worth noting that in the last year or so ticket sales at some venues have declined, and there’s also been a downturn in some of their TV numbers. Oversaturation and/or high ticket prices may be the cause, but I find it very interesting that during yesterday’s twin Gatorade 150s from Daytona on the SPEED Channel they were running ads stating that tickets were still available for Sunday’s 500, and that’s not something I can recall having seen in the past.

Many of us have had that take-the-neighbor-to-the-track experience, and it can cut both ways. I arranged for tickets to the Denver race a few years ago for a local man who was thinking about getting involved in motorsports on the sponsorship level. He is still talking about how exciting it was, but alas, his company just didn’t have the funding to move forward. But nevertheless, he loved what he saw and speaks positively about the sport to his business compatriots. Maybe one of them will step up to the plate at some point because of this guy’s positive talk about us.

Martin, no offense intended, but nobody’s going to come around to our way of thinking. We have to figure out a way of attracting those people to our events without making them feel like it’s something they “should” do. We have to figure out a way of making it so irresistible that they can’t stay away.

Something else worth mentioning here is that the Ashley onslaught absolutely has and will include more and more “straight” TV shows. Okay, so if she was on Letterman or Leno we’d all know about it, but for all we know her exceptionally talented team PR person might have her doing radio call-ins to shows in Denver, Toledo and Pittsburgh right now, with four more slated for tomorrow morning. And the “lever” to get her on those shows was the coverage she received on ESPN last weekend.

Jon Asher

BTW, Alan Reinhart is my vote for the lead.
1st post, how'd I do?

I'll vote for Alan to replace Paul Page in a heartbeat. Alan, like Mike Dunn, knows drag racing, but Alan would also bring humor and excitement to the broadcast. Mike and Alan in the booth would be awesome.

Can someone please start one of those online petitions to send to ESPN, lol. I know it aint gonna happen, but we can dream about it.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to thank Martin and Jon for their very informative and spirited exchange in this thread! Both have articulately expressed passionate views and provided A LOT of very good behind the scenes information. I feel priviledged to have been reading the last few pages and hope to see more! Jon, you have provided insight behind the scenes that I don't think many of us ever knew or realized and kudos to you for providing it for FREE. I learned as much (if not more) from your posts as I have in any of your columns.

I personally felt like Martin after this weekend's broadcast, but my eyes have been opened to other strategies and points of view thanks to this thread. Well done gentlemen!

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd like to thank Martin and Jon for their very informative and spirited exchange in this thread! Both have articulately expressed passionate views and provided A LOT of very good behind the scenes information. I feel priviledged to have been reading the last few pages and hope to see more! Jon, you have provided insight behind the scenes that I don't think many of us ever knew or realized and kudos to you for providing it for FREE. I learned as much (if not more) from your posts as I have in any of your columns.

I personally felt like Martin after this weekend's broadcast, but my eyes have been opened to other strategies and points of view thanks to this thread. Well done gentlemen!

Agreed Scott. Thanks for saying that.

o.k. now on to phoenix. how much you want to bet they still show tons on highlights about ashley and her runs and john crying. worst case, she wins a round and then the flood gates open. everything from how long it took for john to win his first round to his first national event. :mad: can you imagine what nascar fans are thinking about john going to NASCAR NATION in daytona? who cares about john over there? ....................................................................................... ................. ........................ .......................... sorry i was throwing up and my finger was on a key....

Jon: Glad I got to throw ideas around with you; lots of valid points have been posted in the past few days, and hopefully the one's with the power do lurk here and see that there are some that want the sport to always change for the better.

Kudos do need to go out to NHRA Media- the job is not an easy one, especially when the upper ranks of leadership seem to have missed the boat very publicly in the past few years. The articles in ND, especially the special interest ones, have had a quality that reminded me of the heyday of the old days of Drag News. And your days at CC were greatly appreciated by fans like me- I remember the transition away from drags, but had no idea it was so politically motivated (what did ever happen to that blown Vega panel wagon? :D )

As we move through the season, lets hope that the powers that be do make attempts to incorporate what they are hearing from message boards like these, even if it is in small amounts. I do believe the future of this sport, like any great thing, has to have its foundation in its past. We will never be able to return to "the good old days", but I hope that my kids will be able to look upon these upcoming seasons and be able to reflect on their own good feelings about the sport as I have been able to when I think about my introduction to the sport.

No offense is ever taken in a good debate Jon... Hope to meet you at one of the upcoming events- first beer is on me.

Martin

87 posts on the topic and counting. Precisely what the folks in Glendora were thinking when they scripted their show. Ashley is the current "hot news item" so the smart money suggests that get pushed. We are all talking about it/her/them, etc. so the interest is obviously there. Thanks to Jon and Martin for entertaining us with real facts and insight, and thanks to all for their heart-felt opinions. However, let's end this thread and get on to making something else the "hot" item.

By the way, what's Skuza doing lately (Sorry, couldn't resist! :D )

I'll vote for Alan to replace Paul Page in a heartbeat. Alan, like Mike Dunn, knows drag racing, but Alan would also bring humor and excitement to the broadcast. Mike and Alan in the booth would be awesome.

Can someone please start one of those online petitions to send to ESPN, lol. I know it aint gonna happen, but we can dream about it.
Post of the week!!! How about we take them hostage so they gotta get rid of Paul, He may be good at other things but he's lost:confused: here. Maybe we could just tie him in his room on race day:eek: . LOL I vote for allan also !!!!!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back