ESPN... it's not the JFHRA (1 Viewer)

If you were a casual fan, or someone who was attracted to the sport by the media coverage pre-race or the TV show Driving Force, the JFHRA/Ashley show is what you wanted to see. It wll probably be that way for the forseeable future. As a "hard core" fan, I am willing to deal with it. It is better than no drag racing on TV at all, or shortened programs or tape-delayed coverage etc, and increased viewership can only be good for everybody. You never know, all of these newbie fans might come for the JFHRA short-term and stay with the NHRA long-term.

While there have been a lot of comments regarding NHRA buying the airtime I’ve never actually seen proof of that. I’m not suggesting that it isn’t happening, only that I’ve never seen it completely outlined from an unimpeachable source.

Sean DeWitt’s (and Martin Thomas’s)concept of a pre-season show that would set the tone for the year to come is an excellent idea, but who’s going to pay the production costs for that? (And we haven’t even addressed the subject of getting the airtime, paid for or not.) To do that kind of show properly would mean crews attending all of the test sessions, and that’s a hefty price tag. Transportation, hotels, rental cars, meals and salaries would add up to a very significant number.

BUT, at the same time, such a program could probably be put together with a skeleton crew, but that’s for someone else to figure out. But I have seen exceptionally well-produced videos involving drag racing put together with a crew of no more than three or four people.

John von Buelow is also right in that Ashely was definitely worn out by all the hype.

Hard to argue with Justin League’s point because, like the Brut debut before it, there wasn’t much from Snake Racing in support of the car’s first appearances.

In answer to Greg Stanley, I’d like to think that most of the sponsors, new or not, understand enough about what’s going on to comprehend the relevance of the Ashley Force debut. While they might not have been overjoyed with not getting much exposure, hopefully they’ll realize that they will ultimately get positive exposure. Now, with that said, if the Force exposure situation continues in the Phoenix and then Gainesville coverage, then those sponsors probably will have reason to question their own decision-making. This is obviously something I think we all hope the program producers are making note of, and will react accordingly to by spreading the exposure around a bit more.

Please realize that, behind the scenes, the ESPN people, the NHRA Media Department and the staff of “National Dragster” and NHRA.com are being hounded unmercifully by EVERYONE “demanding” more exposure for their clients and their sponsors.

Those making the demands are sometimes unrealistic in believing that every single round of racing needs to be included in each broadcast to ensure that their clients/sponsors get their “proper” due. To include every run down the track makes for repetitive and boring broadcasts, and leaves no room for feature material of any kind.

I hate to suggest this, but if “your guy” is a first round loser and there’s a much more compelling story brewing back in the pits as Racer X tries to fix the burned body on his F/C, or Pro Stock Racer Y is trying to make an engine change and the hoist just failed, or the crew chief on Racer Z’s fueler has just discovered the frame’s bent and they’re thrashing together their spare, that makes for great TV. Your first round loser is, unfortunately, a yawner, Maybe next race he’ll be a player and “earn” his exposure.

Justin’s later point about exposure in the Countdown is probably right, because protests to the contrary, that’s exactly what’s happened with NASCAR. Despite all of the organization’s promises about exposure, we all know it was all about the ten Chasers and very little about anyone else. Yes, individual race winners did get exposure, but the stories always related to the Chase, and the same thing is likely to happen here.

To overcome that likelihood the racers had better do their winning early so that their sponsor DO get the exposure they want, because if they’re not among the Countdown to 4, that could be the end of their exposure – unless they win one of those races.

Jon Asher

In answer to Greg Stanley, I’d like to think that most of the sponsors, new or not, understand enough about what’s going on to comprehend the relevance of the Ashley Force debut. While they might not have been overjoyed with not getting much exposure, hopefully they’ll realize that they will ultimately get positive exposure. Now, with that said, if the Force exposure situation continues in the Phoenix and then Gainesville coverage, then those sponsors probably will have reason to question their own decision-making. This is obviously something I think we all hope the program producers are making note of, and will react accordingly to by spreading the exposure around a bit more.

Another excellent post Jon.

I want to relate two things just as an addition to the discussion. First I AM a Force fan and thought it was too much coverage. However.....

On Friday I was talking to a guy and he mentioned NASCAR. I said that I was an NHRA fan and they were starting this weekend. He said, "Oh yeah, isn't John Forces daughter taking over now? I should check it out." Of course I explained the situation but THAT was what he thought first when I mentioned drag racing.

Secondly, Saturday night my mom called from Oregon to make sure I wasn't missing all of that qualifying excitement. My daughter (NOT into racing) asked what we were talking about so I gave her a re-cap of the events. On Sunday when I was watching the race she came in, sat down (wow) and said, "How is Ashley doing today?". I told her that she was out and she got up and went on about her evening.

I am just confirming what others have said. To the casual observer they ARE the face of racing in some respects.

I not a Force fan at all (on track), but the guy is the greatest drag racer around with all those titles and all those wins. I expect he's going to be the focus. I just deal with it.

..Sean DeWitt’s (and Martin Thomas’s)concept of a pre-season show that would set the tone for the year to come is an excellent idea, but who’s going to pay the production costs for that? (And we haven’t even addressed the subject of getting the airtime, paid for or not.) To do that kind of show properly would mean crews attending all of the test sessions, and that’s a hefty price tag. Transportation, hotels, rental cars, meals and salaries would add up to a very significant number.

BUT, at the same time, such a program could probably be put together with a skeleton crew, but that’s for someone else to figure out. But I have seen exceptionally well-produced videos involving drag racing put together with a crew of no more than three or four people...Jon Asher

Jon, first and formost, I have always appreciated what you have done and written about drag racing, and I am honored that you choose to debate a point that I have posted.
With that said, I have luckly enough had the opportunity to be involved in both drag racing and television from a production standpoint. One thing that I have always seen in both fields is that when someone really wants something done, it gets done. Parts are created, time schedules are kept, money is found. That last one is key- whenever the right people are interested in getting it done, and money is the factor, the money is found. Up until this year, I had been an NHRA member regularly since the early 70's.

Taking into account the increased cost of printing and postage for ND, I'm pretty much receiving the same hatpin, patch, rulebook and decal that I was at the start of my membership, for alot more money. That money has done alot of great things over the years, from building some tracks back up to paying for more television programming time. Adding one more program HAS a specific price- what that is, I do not know exactly. But I know someone in NHRA or at ESPN does know.

Producing a 2 hour, pre-taped broadcast based at the tracks that are doing pre-season testing (Vegas, Phoenix and the P/S warmup), where most of the teams are ANYWAY, as well as NHRA Media gathering footage from those that have been " “demanding” more exposure for their clients and their sponsors" of their own press event, and maybe even visiting some of the manufacturers of the cars and parts or even the teams in Indy and the LA area for additional footage, spending a week editing that together and then broadcasting it before the Winters can, and in my opinion, SHOULD, be budgeted into the annual cost of running NHRA Marketing.

If increased attendance and membership is the goal (and ultimately the outcome), logically that should also mean an increase in available funds used for promotion. For all of us hardcore fans and team members (most who have membership), it means at least one broadcast can be dedicated not to the casual fan, but to those of us that will have to contend with the other 23 episodes more attuned with what seemed to have happened on last week's broadcast (focus on one or two particular teams because it is THE news, and decidely more marketable than discussing the "uninteresting" other activities, such as other teams and sponsors).

Something I've always liked about this sport is that EVERYONE doesn't ALWAYS get it- it is for those with a mechanical interest, an engineering interest, a design interest, a decidely prominent interest in competition (although I have to wonder about the new points system- my main reason for not renewing my membership), as well as a richly diverse expanse of people that are pretty damn intelligent as a whole regarding this sport (this site proves that)...It isn't for everyone. Trying to sell this to Brittany and Courtney's mall buddies is one hell of a stretch, even if they are popular and sucessful competitors. Not that NHRA should not try- but maybe they shouldn't forget exactly what makes up a true, long-term fan of this sport.

Asking for one broadcast a year that is absolutely focused on that group that tracks the results, goes to the races, BUYS THE ADVERTISERS PRODUCTS (pretty religiously, from the survey results) isn't really asking too much. Cost is a factor in most business decisions, but to not put the money into what most advertisers and sponsors would see as a "sure thing" as far as reaching the target audience, is just plain ignorant and disrepectful to the sport.

Oh, but it IS the JFHRA and it will be until someone else wins as much and is as willing to make a fool of himself on camera.

Wow! I read most of these posts and go back to my first thought after the qualifying show. Where was Dixon's run? It was not "Why so much Force?" Maybe even they realize that they overdid, it maybe not. Being that I only get to go to one race a year (Pomona wasn't it) I am extremely grateful to be able to come back to my tivo and soak up as much event coverage that I can get. If everybody complaining thinks they can do better at producing the show then by all means give it a shot, or complain to them. It IS my opinion that all runs need a little coverage even if it is just a mention. I just did not get all worked up over the Force coverage, I actually enjoyed it. I say let's be thankful for the coverage that we DO get. Also to go along with at least part of the bandwagon, I agree with the majority that the point system sucks and ESPN could have done better than Paul P.

Martin:

I don’t think anyone would argue with your basic point that if there’s a will there’s usually a way.

But at the same time I don’t think there’s anyone on this board, or at least who posts out in the open and doesn’t just lurk here, who truly knows the inner financial workings of the NHRA. I believe that far too often we make assumptions about corporate revenues that might not be accurate.

Please, don’t reference the 990 forms, which are informational and not “real” tax returns, as proving otherwise, because they simply don’t. What those are good for is exposing some salary levels and not much more.

I believe I did see a Dragster shooter at Phoenix, but can’t speak for what took place at Las Vegas, but the point is that the travel expenses for a single individual or even a pair of ‘em is far less that what it might cost to get a TV crew to those locations. The same holds true for the idea of visiting shops. It’s expensive and time consuming.

Regarding your references to your membership money, you might be surprised to learn that there’s absolutely no profit in that for the company. That money funds the entire Dragster operation, an no more, according to my sources. The ad revenues from the paper are absolutely, however, a profit center. But there’s not much that can be scraped off that for use in other projects.

Like it or not, when it comes to cash flow, NHRA is a whale. A lot of money comes in one door – and right out another. Very little sticks.

There is just never going to be a broadcast produced for the hard core group you outlined simply because it’s too small a demographic to produce any kind of results for the advertising community.

Consider that we assume every NHRA member is among that ultra-hard core group. That’s LESS than 80,000 people, and even if each and every one of them tuned in to the show you’re espousing, that’s not enough bodies to even nudge the Nielsen ratings “needle.”

This is a nation of 300 MILLION and drag racing still only attracts about 2 million paid spectators per year, this according to the latest demographic information provided by the NHRA. That’s just one reason why it’s so imperative that we attract new fans. Promoting the sport to the core audience no longer does any good. To use the vernacular, we’re preaching to the choir.

Jay Smith’s post about his mom and his daughter was the kind of thing everyone hopes that the TV shows produce – casual fans tuning in to see what we’re all about.

As stupid as it may sound, when your crochety neighbor – you know, the one who thinks you’re a street corner thug because you’re into drag racing – makes some derisive comment about the sport, tell him about Ashley, Erica, Melanie and Hillary. Tell him about J.R. Todd. Tell him about cars “just like his” (r-i-i-g-h-h-h-t-!) that run over 200 MPH on “pump” (forgive me for stretching the truth here!) gasoline. Maybe he’ll tune in. Maybe he’ll buy an advertised product. Geez, maybe he’ll even ask you to take him to a race!

I continue to believe that the “problem” with this whole discussion is us. We’re so into it that it’s almost impossible for us to look at anything the sport does with an unjaundiced eye. We want what we want, and when it comes to television, what we want might not be the best thing for the sport.

‘Course, what I’d like to see on TV is two drivers trying to get at one another at the finish line, shouting bleeped-out obscenities, but our guys are just too darn nice. I’ve gotta tune in to NASCAR to see that kind of stuff.

Jon Asher

Oh, but it IS the JFHRA and it will be until someone else wins as much and is as willing to make a fool of himself on camera.

I wouldn't give Matthew to much heat for this. Is there a TV camera that doesn't like personality? But the "fool" reference is not needed. And, when you're a winner, you're usually on TV more too! Heck, I don't even like Force , so I'm going to shut up

WAR Brut Blue
WAR Ron Capps
WAR Roland Leong

Last edited:
I hate to suggest this, but if “your guy” is a first round loser and there’s a much more compelling story brewing back in the pits as Racer X tries to fix the burned body on his F/C, or Pro Stock Racer Y is trying to make an engine change and the hoist just failed, or the crew chief on Racer Z’s fueler has just discovered the frame’s bent and they’re thrashing together their spare, that makes for great TV. Your first round loser is, unfortunately, a yawner, Maybe next race he’ll be a player and “earn” his exposure.

Jon Asher

Jon - THAT is exactly what was wrong with the Winters broadcast...there WERE compelling stories going on that we didn't get to see because, even after 1st round, the Ashley show was all they wanted to talk about. The Scelzi thrash got a little tidbit, Roger Brogdon got barely a mention, etc. I loved all the drama with the Forces qualifying efforts and hope she does great this year, but I do not want to see all the other teams / drivers fade into the background.
BTW, Alan Reinhart is my vote for the lead.
1st post, how'd I do?

Jon - THAT is exactly what was wrong with the Winters broadcast...there WERE compelling stories going on that we didn't get to see because, even after 1st round, the Ashley show was all they wanted to talk about. The Scelzi thrash got a little tidbit, Roger Brogdon got barely a mention, etc. I loved all the drama with the Forces qualifying efforts and hope she does great this year, but I do not want to see all the other teams / drivers fade into the background.
BTW, Alan Reinhart is my vote for the lead.
1st post, how'd I do?

I was gonna give you a "C" but since you are smart enough to know that Alan should be in the booth I'll go with an "A-"!!:D

Just funnin'

Welcome in Paul!!

Well it's working. I had a coworker come in this morning and mentioned "I saw on TV this weekend that the daughter of some famous racer is now racing" :D
and that is exactly why ESPN and NHRA has played this up so much. They want to wow and impress the non-fans and entice them to become regular fans.

They already know all of us here will watch every race of the season because we are diehard fans. They need to package this up all glitzy and flashy to capture the attention of the people who wouldn't normally think of watching a race.

It is the same with the Driving Force series on A&E. All of us here are disappointed at how the nitro cars sound like super comps, but we watch it anyways. The show isn't really about racing. It is about the disfunctional Force family who happen to be racers. We watch it because we are hardcore race fans. A&E is targeting the general public who want to see the soap opera antics of the Forces .

and that is exactly why ESPN and NHRA has played this up so much. They want to wow and impress the non-fans and entice them to become regular fans.

Ask Lance if they are still asking questions about the sport by Gainesville.. I understand that the gameplan was to hogtie a new bunch of viewers (and maybe even fans) with the Force onslaught, but only time will tell if it actually worked. Trying not to be a "doubting Thomas" :D , but the show (and the story, for that matter) really wasn't THAT good... If it was, we would have seen an Ashley saturation more on the level of Danica at Indy in her rookie year- lots of morning shows, national news snippets, more newspapers than just USA Today. And that was the Force publicity juggernaut at work- what hope in the world does someone like JR have of cracking the media glass ceiling and heading for the moon?

Jon: Absolutely see your point, and I would guess that 80,000 is a number that would not do the Nielsens any justice (I have done concerts with more people in attendance).. But, as interesting as our sport is, I feel that just short of some phenominal occurance (Martians land and need Nitro motor technology to save their planet..), we are very close to the high water mark for our fan base. True, 25 years ago we probably had half that number in the fan club, but we also have seen the advent of ESPN, the Internet, more National events and USA Today since then, and all we have picked up still puts us in the "Other Motorsports" columns in most media.

Preaching to the choir may be the right thing to do- stregnthen the existing fan base to make them so rabid for the sport that they run out and tell everybody about it, kind of how NASCAR TRULY got their start (those old time fans are NUTS for that roundy-round stuff).

I have taken many a friend and neighbor out to the races- some to the Nitro cars, some to the TnT's so they can run their own car- and maybe 3-5% of them get the hook.. The ones that come back get pretty into it. The ones that don't get it (too short a race/ not enough time to see the cars run; too much time in track cleanup; hard to see in the pits; etc..) are pretty much lost forever, in my opinion. Like I said before, it's just not for EVERYBODY.

So with that knowledge, why can't it be for those that do like it, and let everybody else come around to our way of thinking, instead of the other way around. I don't want to be NASCAR. I don't wan't to be football. Or American Idol or some stupid ass reality show ( not a fan of the A&E program at all). That's why I chose drag racing as my sport- it appealed to ME, when it wasn't trying to appeal to everyone. The path that its on now seems so wrong in so many ways..

Last edited:
So with that knowledge, why can't it be for those that do like it, and let everybody else come around to our way of thinking, instead of the other way around. I don't want to be NASCAR. I don't wan't to be football. Or American Idol or some stupid ass reality show ( not a fan of the A&E program at all). That's why I chose drag racing as my sport- it appealed to ME, when it wasn't trying to appeal to everyone. The path that its on now seems so wrong in so many ways..

AMEN, BROTHER!!!

And thanks, Jay - I'll take that A- even if it was only earned with the AR comment.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back