ESPN... it's not the JFHRA (1 Viewer)

I dont know why you guys are acting surprised. Ashley is the biggest news in drag racing in the last decade especially for new people who are espn's/nhra's target group right now which are new viewers. Wait till Nascar has there first woman driver. If it were up to me, we would cut all the interviews and extra promo stuff out and just watch the actual racing w/ the driver interviews after each race and cut the show from 3 hours (1 1/2 hours action and 1 1/2 hours commercials/useless crap) to 1 1/2 hour racing action only.

I dont know why you guys are acting surprised. ...
Nothing about the lengths to which ESPN and NHRA will go to over-dramatize the sport is surprising to me! But unless the fans speak up it will continue down the toilet and before you know the entire 23 race season will be nothing more than a big soap opera with a little racing mixed in...

but then again, when was the last time anyone in Glendora listened to anyone but the voices in their heads.

The sport is about unadulterated power and speed... stop trying to turn it into an MTV reality show.

Justin is right, AF is the Biggest News NHRA's seen in years. It's just something us Diehards will have to put up with I guess...

While it was one of the best events to attend in person, it sounds like it was one of the worst to watch on tv! I haven't seen the shows yet.

Hi, Tony! Let me congratulate you on yet another hilarious quote! Just love your additions to the 'mater!
T is the man. You know what tho, he has gotten more mellow with time.
What's up with that T?:D

Ashley even had coverage on regular sportscenter....imagine that drag racing on sportscenter that didn't involve a wreck

all the jfr haters just make me laugh. for the last 2 years its been the dsrhra and no one can arguee that! don at the line in every type of shirt, capps and tony were interviewed more than john ever in the last 2 years. now jfr gets a press and the dsr fans are cryin! get over it or dont watch! ashley is great for our sport, if she wins more fans will watch period!

all the jfr haters just make me laugh. for the last 2 years its been the dsrhra and no one can arguee that! don at the line in every type of shirt, capps and tony were interviewed more than john ever in the last 2 years. now jfr gets a press and the dsr fans are cryin! get over it or dont watch! ashley is great for our sport, if she wins more fans will watch period!

Capps and Tony were actually winning races and fighting for championships. Seems like John got plenty of TV time, I can't remember him ever not getting an interview after a run. Besides, let me know when they got 3/4s of the qualifying show and half the race broadcast after losing in the first round.

Last edited:
The best part of this is that most of you complaining about the JFHRA coverage will be watching the next race also even if it follows the same format as the WinterNationals. It might not be the type of coverage a hard core fan wants to see, but that's how it is when you are trying to attract new fans. Considering that NHRA pays to have their show put on ESPN2 maybe they have proof that a show that would be catered to a hard core fan doesn't bring in enough viewers. I would love it if they could somehow do live internet coverage from start to finish of 90% track action and 10% interviews. Even if they charged for it, I would be the 1st one to sign up for it. Does anybody remember when TNN used to show qualifying back in the early 90's? Just about everybody got shown going down the track. The JFHRA must have worked because my coworkers were arguing about who's prettier Ashley or Danica:D

Of course I'll watch the next race because there is no choice. I still maintain that it was a lame reality show at best. I'm curious if drag racing is actually gathering many new fans. Once it's in your blood you hooked for life, there is no turning back.

Yeah, even as a JFR fan, it was really over the top... then again, got asked about my 'puter wallpaper at work a couple or ten times today, most of which was, "Hey, That's Ashley"... weird, that wallpaper's been there since jan 16th.:eek:

Downer of the sunday broadcast, "Hight runs a 4.646 and moves into the finals," totally deadpan by PP... Thank you Mike for Enlightening Paul what he just saw

The best part of this is that most of you complaining about the JFHRA coverage will be watching the next race also even if it follows the same format as the WinterNationals. It might not be the type of coverage a hard core fan wants to see, but that's how it is when you are trying to attract new fans. Considering that NHRA pays to have their show put on ESPN2 maybe they have proof that a show that would be catered to a hard core fan doesn't bring in enough viewers. I would love it if they could somehow do live internet coverage from start to finish of 90% track action and 10% interviews. Even if they charged for it, I would be the 1st one to sign up for it. Does anybody remember when TNN used to show qualifying back in the early 90's? Just about everybody got shown going down the track. The JFHRA must have worked because my coworkers were arguing about who's prettier Ashley or Danica:D
man now thats a hard one!! ashley or danica! both are hott. but when push comes to shove ashley will get right in that open wheel car and make laps and danica will have a hard time just standing at the line nevermind driving. the nod goes to our nitros child! :D ashley rocks!

Michael....I have to dis-agree about the Danica/Ashley thing...They are both very pretty ladies but years ago when Jack Clark was a owner of a fuel dragster he had John Andretti drive for him and everyone thought he'd struggle....wrong....7 passes and a top fuel license....he stated it was more violent but was not as physically demanding as an Indy car, nor as scary. I think they'd both adapt real quick...A race car driver is a race car driver...regardless of what you put them in...Danica is the real deal as is Ashley...so far...I'm not a fan of hers but I like seeing new faces....

I'm counting on Baze to get some new excitement going in TF and take some of the focus off of FC and Ashley (she may appreciate that too).

I dont know why you guys are acting surprised. Ashley is the biggest news in drag racing in the last decade especially for new people who are espn's/nhra's target group right now which are new viewers. Wait till Nascar has there first woman driver. If it were up to me, we would cut all the interviews and extra promo stuff out and just watch the actual racing w/ the driver interviews after each race and cut the show from 3 hours (1 1/2 hours action and 1 1/2 hours commercials/useless crap) to 1 1/2 hour racing action only.

ASSCAR *has* had a female driver and she sucked. She didn't get much press because she sucked and couldn't sell water in the desert. I am a HUGE fan of the Force team, but you guys are right, WAY too much over exposure in the WORST telecast of all time. Paul Page SUCKS and looks like Howdy Doody at 70 right after a face lift. He doesn't know dick about the sport, and is totally out of place. He also talks WAY too much. I know Steve and Dave are gone, but bring back Diamond P. ESPN has ALWAYS sucked and will ALWAYS suck.

I got home last night and thought that very thing, NHRA's Pimping Ashley in a Huge way!

Man really read that wrong initially, I not U slight difference. Man brain departed the pattern and went right in the gutter, its time to go home.:D

D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back