ESPN Does It Again! (1 Viewer)

If it's obvious to us that the preceding shows are likely to run over, then why aren't they scheduled for a more reasonable time window? Afrer all, the argument against live drag racing coverage is that we might not get finished on time.

Big freakin' deal - neither do most of the other sports ESPN covers live! Rain delays and rainouts? Those happen too, so what's different about drag racing and live coverage? Everybody accepts the "can't cover drag racing live" argument without question, yet accepts the fact that other live sports coverage often runs over their alloted time slot. In fact it happens so often that we have come to expect it whenever a live event precedes drag racing coverage.

Maybe it's time to start pushing for live drag racing coverage again?

I think the difference between live drag racing and other live sports is simple. Oil downs. When other sports are broadcast live, the action continues until it's over. They don't have 1/2 hour gaps in the action like drag racing does when someone granades a motor on a run and the track has to be cleaned up. Unless someone can come up with a way to prevent oil downs, I can't see there ever being fully live coverage of drag racing. It's just the nature of the beast.

Oildowns should be used to run the fluff pieces that now are pre-empting coverage (at least they did last Sunday). If they don't get enough oildowns to run the prepared stuff, run it during the following race. And you don't see many half-hour oildowns any more, more like five minutes for most of them. That's long enough for Scelzi Says or Grubnic's Nuggets - or even a good cry.

I think the difference between live drag racing and other live sports is simple. Oil downs. When other sports are broadcast live, the action continues until it's over. They don't have 1/2 hour gaps in the action like drag racing does when someone granades a motor on a run and the track has to be cleaned up. Unless someone can come up with a way to prevent oil downs, I can't see there ever being fully live coverage of drag racing. It's just the nature of the beast.

Uh, Jackee, did you forget about baseball rain delays? I can't think of a more tedious gap in the action, but I don't really like to watch baseball in the first place.

The rest isn't directed at you, Jackee, but this is a convenient place to put my opinion in

It all comes down to horsepower, and I'm not talking about what's going down the track. As long as the viewer numbers make NHRA pay to get coverage, we're going to have these problems.

Considering the billions of dollars given to NASCAR, how likely do you think the network that wrote the check is to switch away? When the broadcaster has their OWN money involved things really seem to change.

While I agree with those who wonder about darts, demolition derby racing, ping pong, poker, and other "sports" being broadcast, we all should remember that they are paying for the time just like the NHRA.

If time restraints were not such a problem such as another motorsports channel then the fluff and oddity segments ,reruns and interviews would more than cover the down time for oil downs.
Oil downs are mostly less than half an hour with about 15 min. the norm.
Bruton Smith already had the answer anyway with four lanes instead of two so cars can continue to run while clean up goes on the other side.
All the key elements are there and if exposure on TV comes about then the money for every one will increase which I might add will decrease the oil downs as teams can afford better parts and the services of more experienced crews.
It's funny because there are Multi millionaires out there living a dream crewing on some of those cars. Yep money sure helps grease the rough spots.

Got a question. Which of you is willing to stand in the lights manning a broom when two 330 mph dragsters/funny cars are passing within 50 feet or less, at that speed...and possibly on fire and out of control?

It's the one great drawback to a four lane race track , for both track worker and driver, unless you build 8 to 10 foot walls between the lanes....not too practical.

The four lane track is not a bad idea...just extremely difficult to make work in real life.

DMaC

Last edited:
Hey Big Mac,

Great to see you here. Are you going to be at Indy?

I would personally like to thank you for being the professional that you are. Your knowledge and interaction with the sport have truly made you one of the greatest.

Best wishes and don't be a stranger.

Uh, Jackee, did you forget about baseball rain delays? I can't think of a more tedious gap in the action, but I don't really like to watch baseball in the first place.

The rest isn't directed at you, Jackee, but this is a convenient place to put my opinion in

It all comes down to horsepower, and I'm not talking about what's going down the track. As long as the viewer numbers make NHRA pay to get coverage, we're going to have these problems.

Considering the billions of dollars given to NASCAR, how likely do you think the network that wrote the check is to switch away? When the broadcaster has their OWN money involved things really seem to change.

While I agree with those who wonder about darts, demolition derby racing, ping pong, poker, and other "sports" being broadcast, we all should remember that they are paying for the time just like the NHRA.

Regarding baseball games..... when ball games are on TV with the stands way less then full, it doesn't surprise me that they would continue on in the rain. Go figure. :confused:

DMaC, that's the first thing I thought of concerning the 4 lane track idea. I sure wouldn't want to be standing out there.:eek: The car wouldn't have to be on fire or out of control. Just blowin' by at that speed would probably make any misguided soul change his/her mind. Remember Dickie Venables on the starting line at Indy last year? The blast would probably leave 'em naked to boot.:D ............."HIP"

yeah besides, they'd probably be blocking my lens if I was trying to take a picture. those guys ain't too good looking anyway. you don't want em cluttering up the tv .
:D
Bruton thinks outside the box. Sometimes the box can get bigger.
This time I don't think so. I still don't see the difference between yellow flag laps at a nascar or irl race, and oildowns. Oildowns positively suck when you're in the stands, but on tv? big whoop. Bring in Mac to talk for 15 minutes.

how bout this- a double decker drag strip. run two races at a time, in opposite directions. put cloverleaf offramps at the end of the upper deck. :D

Another major disadvatage to a four lane track is if I'm there in person, and the action switches to the far lanes, all of a sudden, the closest action is three lanes and two guardrails away and I can't see things NEARLY as well. At some tracks with a lot of grassy space between the lanes and the grandstands, that's a ways away. Unless of course we're willing to tell the fan who shows up in person they're going to have to make sacrifices so the live TV watchers don't have to watch fluff.

This Paul Page guy is a poor replacement for Marty Reid. He rubs me the wrong, way especially when he calls David Grubnic "Grubby". I never heard anybody call him Grubby before. It seems kind of demeaning.

This Paul Page guy is a poor replacement for Marty Reid. He rubs me the wrong, way especially when he calls David Grubnic "Grubby". I never heard anybody call him Grubby before. It seems kind of demeaning.

Alot of people call him Grubby. On NHRA Today, he has his own segment called "Grubbys Garage".

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back