Council says no to Charlotte Drag Strip (1 Viewer)

One thing no has mentioned in this saga, When he builds his new track, it will have an airport built to handle business jets. There won't be any complaints from encroaching home owners, as the FAA runs the airports. See E-town. Though limited in some scheduling, the noise factor is over ridden by the airport.
Art

E-Town has some of the most stringent noise curfews I've ever seen. Every year the rules are tightened a little bit more.

Also in New Jersy they are required to have the police on the property anytime they are open so you can't get away with anything. I think on Sundays they have to shut down at 7:00 PM regardless if the event is completed or not.

BTW, the airport is not much better than a grassy field and will handle the huge single engine planes. :D

One thing no has mentioned in this saga, When he builds his new track, it will have an airport built to handle business jets. There won't be any complaints from encroaching home owners, as the FAA runs the airports. See E-town. Though limited in some scheduling, the noise factor is over ridden by the airport.
Art
Actually, the airport would be private so it wouldn't be run by the FAA. Airports also have noise laws to abide by as well. The reason Bruton would include an airport in a new complex is because the Cup guys all fly in to the small airport right down the street from LMS. Even the local guys fly helicopters in from Mooresville to avoid the traffic.

I am sure Bruton would build a new facility if Concord doesn't fold, but I don't think it will come to that. There are literally HUNDREDS of businesses within a mile of the track. Those business owners will raise holy hell with the city when it comes down to it because they would lose tens of millions of dollars if they lose 3 cup races in their backyard. It would be an economic disaster for LMS to move and everyone knows it, particularly Bruton Smith. I just think that the city underestimated Bruton's resolve. The city's bluff has been called, it's only a matter of time before they get pressured in to reversing the decsion from the local businesses. The track might not vote, but the business owners sure do.

I believe Lowes Motor Speedway was originally built around 1960. Of course there's been many of add-ons and major improvements made to the facility since then. But people in the Seattle region have seen something similar happen. The Kingdome was built in the mid-1970's and opened in 1976. A little more than 20+ years later the building was demolished and two stadiums built in its' place.

With taxpayer dollars that was voted down twice.

A friend of mine in Jersey tells me that years ago Vinnie Napp attended some kind of town council meeting in which they wanted the track closed. He says tons of racers showed up with their cars and trailers to support Napp. He says everyone said their peace, then Vinnie walked up accompanied by a son carrying an easel. Supposedly he told them that if they wanted the track closed, fine, he could do that. Then the cover was pulled back showing drawings of something like a 9,500 unit low income housing development that would go in it's place! He said you should have seen the dropped jaws and the stone faces! How you gonna sell your house when every other house on your street is for sale? :D

He named some other track, forget which (maybe Maple Grove?) that's been paying the property taxes on every home within a certain radius for a very long time so, nobody seems to have an issue with noise. :)

I wonder how much property taxes in Concord will have to go up now to make up for the revenue that they're about to lose?

I'll say it agian. We need to get serious about sound barriers. I'm sure the track would have been approved if that was part of the design.

I'll say it again. We need to get serious about sound barriers. I'm sure the track would have been approved if that was part of the design.

While were at it, lets create something to make sure the ground doesn't shake... And a record breaking air purifier because of "harmful gases"... NHRA is too powerful to contain it to the point these residents want... I've said it in many instances, and I'll say it again; you don't change an entire sport to suit one small factor (unless it's safety), you change the factor to suit the sport... If its this shaky before they even build, I agree with his decision to leave...

Imagine all the cities around there that are looking at about 650,000,000 a year in revenue (from the Nascar track alone)... They will bend over to get this in their district...

JMHO,
CJ Curtsinger

PS. Rich, I agree that sound barriers would be a great asset... But these guys were going to complain just to complain... I swear, the best way to get support for a cause it to make a sign that says "got anything better to do on Friday? Then come join us for _____"....

Last edited:
It's more important to elect common sense to the city councils now than ever. The ordinary citizens that run for office often have little or no capability to demonstrate fiscal responsibility. Fact is, most run for the additional income. This is not the stereotypical person that can understand the loss of billions of dollars of revenue in-fluxed into a small demographic over the whining of the NIMBYs living in their neighborhood.

Once again there are just way too many trees in the way of them seeing the forest? It's sad but true that this community deserves what their votes ultimately get them. This will be a huge loss to say the least!

I know all about the bitchers and the guys in the pink and light yellow sweaters that play golf. But we need to show some effort on our side of the fence. Just ignoring them saying we're to powerful, economic impact, etc isn't going to take away from the reality that some people don't like the noise and will keep fighting it.

So after reading all of this it boils down to a few things.

Bruton's property was zoned for motorsports.
He want's to build a first class dragstrip on his property.
This dragstrip will bring in a lot of money for the local economy
Lowe's speedway brings in Millions of dollars to the economy yearly.
The economy there is depressed

then
Some people who live near the raceway are complaining about the noise.
The council votes to suddenly restrict a legal building of a dragstrip by changing the zoning.
Why? Because they want to be re-elected. People vote, tracks don't

Now Bruton says:
By the council's change in the zoning they are obvious no longer a viable business partner because they could turn on you at any time.
So because of this he is looking for land someplace else that they welcome him AND where he can buy enough land that encroachment is not an issue.

Now who loses if he moves???

The town because they have lost their large source of income.
The home owners because their property taxs are now going to go upward quite a bit to make up for the loss of revenue.
The business in the area will loose a lot of revenue without the automotive portion and the supports system.

Now who wins???
Obviously the new area where he builds.
Burton and his corporation because he will then have a COMPLETE state of the ART motor racing complex that will attract even more people.
He can either hang on to LOWES and make it a driving school or test track or level it and sell it to developers.

Well looking at the facts I would not bet against Bruton that he is bluffing. Remember he did say that he had the plans already drawn out and all he had to do is buy the land.

MY opinon is the city council stepped in it.

jim

So because of this he is looking for land someplace else that they welcome him AND where he can buy enough land that encroachment is not an issue.

When Raceway Park (Englishtown NJ) was first built, the Napp's bought up hundreds and hundreds of acres for this same reason. The land in that area was mostly undeveloped. However, as development got closer and closer to the edges of their property, the neighbors began to complain about the noise. I know, I know.... if you don't want the noise, don't buy next to a drag strip. Doesn't matter .... it is an uphill battle every single time the 'neighbors' get together to impose more and more curfews..... One curfew too many, and I think they will throw in the towel.

Doesn't anyone else here get a little smile about the fact that the major sports media are reporting that Bruton is pissed because they won't let him build a DRAG STRIP.
Not that he can't improve LMS, not any reason having to do with NASCAR, but because he can't build a drag strip.
Totally cool....:cool:

If nothing else it sounds like NHRA drag racing will be getting a brand new state of the art facility and plenty of press. If there is one thing Bruton Smith knows how to do, that is to get plenty of attention

hmmmm.......If I read my signals right, looks like we may have a Gainesville(2) due to the delays.

When Raceway Park (Englishtown NJ) was first built, the Napp's bought up hundreds and hundreds of acres for this same reason. The land in that area was mostly undeveloped. However, as development got closer and closer to the edges of their property, the neighbors began to complain about the noise. I know, I know.... if you don't want the noise, don't buy next to a drag strip. Doesn't matter .... it is an uphill battle every single time the 'neighbors' get together to impose more and more curfews..... One curfew too many, and I think they will throw in the towel.

The one thing that always pisses me off about E-town is the people who are complaining about noise said "we didn't know there was a dragstrip there when we bought the house!" Come on, what is E-town famous for? I can tell you, it isn't for the fries and pizza. :rolleyes::mad:

Turns out real estate agents left out that one important fact when trying to sell the homes because they knew if the mentioned the track buyers would say "no thanks" and walk out on a sell. Now real estate agents HAVE to tell people within a 15 mile radius that there's a dragstrip there.

Last edited:
All I know is, I live 20 miles from LMS, and next Sept 11-14 my a$$ will be in the stands watching all my heros!!!!!!!!!! As Charlotte's own Ric Flair says...Whoeooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back