Council says no to Charlotte Drag Strip (1 Viewer)

I have never understood why someone would buy or build a home near (with in 5 miles of) a race track, an airport, or a train yard or a landfill...

CMS was built in the middle of nowhere years ago... NAS Oceana was built in the middle of nowhere in the thirties... NAS Norfolk in the twenties... How can you not know about the noise generated from any of these facilities? Yet time and again, cities will build up too close to things built away from the population.

Smith jumped the gun, boy did he redlight on this one. But, if he was a spiteful person, he could close CMS... just let it sit... or turn it into a tank farm...

d'kid

Looks to me that if he would show them a little respect they would respond favorably. Having said that I only base my opinion on what I've read.

And when Bruton takes them to court and the town runs out of money, BINGO! Lets approve that dragstrip.

I find it interesting that the land was already zoned for motorsports including drag racing and they have a meeting to change the zoning :confused:

I think it goes without saying that there was prior knowledge and implied permission........

And when Bruton takes them to court and the town runs out of money, BINGO! Lets approve that dragstrip.
Which is exactly what is going to happen. Like Karl mentioned above, if you don't like the noise, why on earth would you buy a house near a race track?:confused:

here we go........

Speedway Owner Threatens To Take Business Out Of Concord
POSTED: 11:33 am EDT October 2, 2007

CONCORD, N.C. -- Bruton Smith, owner of Speedway Motorsports, Inc., said Tuesday that if Concord does not work with him on a controversial drag strip, he’ll take Lowe’s Motor Speedway somewhere else.

Smith told Eyewitness News he is already looking for plots of land in the Charlotte area. He said he’ll build a new speedway and his own airport so that race car drivers will easily be able to fly in and out of town.

Concord doesn’t look like it’s going to be a place for him to grow, so if city leaders don’t change their minds, he will take his business and go, Smith said.

Smith is upset that the Concord City Council voted against a proposed drag strip near the speedway on Monday night, effectively changing the area’s zoning rules. Workers had already started grading the land to make way for the strip.

Dozens of residents showed up at the city council meeting to protest the strip so close to their homes. Others argued the economic benefits of such a motorsports attraction.

Smith will have to take the city to court in order for the decision to be reversed. He is estimated by Forbes to be worth more than $1.4 billion.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it just be cheaper for him to simply buy the city of Concord? And I'm not kidding either. Buy up the surrounding homes and build shops there instead?

I find it interesting that the land was already zoned for motorsports including drag racing and they have a meeting to change the zoning :confused:

I think it goes without saying that there was prior knowledge and implied permission........

Actualy .. i believe the land is Zoned for "motorsports suport facilities"... which was a way to allow for Smiths companies to do minor work to suport existing facilities with out having to apply for minor permits for things like parking.. bathrooms etc.... like most other people would have to apply for.. the "Strip" was not an item that the Zoning was orignialy intened for... Bruton took a shot at a loop hole.... now they want to exclude drag racing out right .. which bothers me a bit..

if he or his company would have contacted the Town to let them know their intentions the problably would have ok'd it and not made a big deal of it....

the mayor of Concord was on several tv stations in the last couple days saying "if Brutons groups would sit down and "reasonably".. his words.. address the concerns of the surounding community they felt assured it would not come to a confrontation".... which is kind of a weird selection of words to me..

they had troubles years ago concerning the dirt oval there and they got things ironed out..

Hopefully things will get worked out for the strip as well....

Billy

Going to get Ugly?...

It was Ugly when the 24th date was named... it got Ugly when Concord Granted building permits for Housing within 5 miles of the speedway...

I agree with Mister Smith, "It's my ball, and I'll just take it and leave if you don't let me play"

Wake up, smell the coffee... Think Concord just blew their chance of being the Home of NHRA Pro Drag Racing in 2009...

great interview Bobby... thanks for the direct info....

also.. Bruton unloaded the oval in Rockingham for $4mill today....

Billy

I just finished listening to Claire B. Lang on XM 144 while on my way home from work, Bruton Smith is the MAN!, She called Him and He said that IF they can't get the annex reversed which would move the city limits of Concord away from Lowes motor speedway (which probally won't happen) then He is fully prepared to build a new and MUCH nicer motorsports complex elsewhere in the Charlotte area, according to Bruton "it would be the finest facility in the world, better than Vegas". He was to the point and said "the city of concord seems intent on running all buisness'es out of town" naming several that have already left. Great interview and according to Bruton Smith "there will be a first class Drag Racing facility in the Charlotte area" he didn't give a specific time frame but said it will happen. We all know that "if Bruton builds it, they will come". Once again great interview, Claire B. gets the people on and ain't afraid to ask the right questions. BTW she's covers NASCAR but digs drag racing too.

Last edited:
Kenny.. i wonder what his stock holders would say about a loose in their year end profits from reloacting....?..lol

maybe a repeat of how he answered to stock holders in the 60's...lol....

Bruton is a interesting man.. thats for sure...

Billy

Re: here we go........

Speedway Owner Threatens To Take Business Out Of Concord
POSTED: 11:33 am EDT October 2, 2007

CONCORD, N.C. -- Bruton Smith, owner of Speedway Motorsports, Inc., said Tuesday that if Concord does not work with him on a controversial drag strip, he’ll take Lowe’s Motor Speedway somewhere else.

Smith told Eyewitness News he is already looking for plots of land in the Charlotte area. He said he’ll build a new speedway and his own airport so that race car drivers will easily be able to fly in and out of town.

Concord doesn’t look like it’s going to be a place for him to grow, so if city leaders don’t change their minds, he will take his business and go, Smith said.

Smith is upset that the Concord City Council voted against a proposed drag strip near the speedway on Monday night, effectively changing the area’s zoning rules. Workers had already started grading the land to make way for the strip.

Dozens of residents showed up at the city council meeting to protest the strip so close to their homes. Others argued the economic benefits of such a motorsports attraction.

Smith will have to take the city to court in order for the decision to be reversed. He is estimated by Forbes to be worth more than $1.4 billion.

I seriously doubt Bruton Smith is considering relocating a $300 Million Oval track if they don't allow him to build a Dragstrip! Anyone care to bet on that???

Joe, Bruton himself said He has NO PROBLEM with building a new track elsewhere and moving everything from the existing track, levelling the track and selling the realestate, in fact He said that he is looking forward to building a much nicer facility in a better location around Charlotte, I heard Him live today on the radio. Claire B. said "it sounded crazy" to do such a thing and He said "buisness is buisness, If thats what I need to do, I'll do it", He wants a first class drag strip in Charlotte, and He will get one. plus He said the new press rooms and luxury suites at the new circle track will be "first class, better than Texas, Bristol or Vegas" He is serious, He said "I'm in the racing buisness" also said some team owners in NASCAR have said they would be very interested in getting into drag racing but didn't discuss which ones.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back